PDA

View Full Version : Transcoded files available

Diesel
02-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Forgive me if this has been raised before or available, however when exploring a library and in detail view it would be great if a column existed that showed whether a pre transcoded file exists.

I've got a massive library and transcode for 3 different devices. I manually select a file or groups of files to transcode. It would be nice to see where transcoded files don't exist.

Thx

Andy

Paul
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Andy,

Thank you for the suggestion - we'll consider adding this to a future Mezzmo version.

SpockThePain
03-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Might I add to this thread...

It would be nice if the transcoded file names could match what was transcoded. Then also if they had a valid file type, they would be playable by other PC media players.

Paul
03-01-2012, 09:05 AM
We'll add a function to save out transcoded files to some location with their original file names in a future version (assigning the correct file extension in the process as well).

paulorox
03-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Can I also please add a feature request, especially considering you'll be looking at the transcoding stuff soon :)

Is there a chance that when looking at the list of pre-transcoded files that an option (like a tick box) be put in so we can select if we never want Mezzmo to delete the transcoded files?

I have a few Bluray rips of kids movies. I've pre-transcoded them. It would be great if I could force Mezzmo to keep those transcoded files. When the kids get a bit older I can then manually select to delete them.

Paul
03-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes, thank you for the suggestion - we'll consider adding that it.

Simran
05-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Would like to add my vote to both of the suggestions regarding transcoding here.

Paul
05-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

lennart
06-10-2012, 05:41 AM
It is now 2012 and as far as I can see, you has not implemented the features to save out transcoded files to some location with their original file names?

Rainey
06-10-2012, 07:43 AM
It is now 2012 and as far as I can see, you has not implemented the features to save out transcoded files to some location with their original file names?
Dude

It has only been a few months, it takes time for new features to show up.

You must of though this post was started some years ago?

Paul
06-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Both suggestions are already in our development database, and we'll implement them in a future version. Thanks for letting us know how useful/important they are to you. Hopefully we can get to them soon.

Paul
07-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.4 has been released and you can now save out your transcoded files. Right-click on a file in Mezzmo and click Properties. In the Properties dialog, go to the Transcoding tab to see all the transcoded files that have been created for this file. Select one and click Save As to save it to a location on your computer. Once saved, if you wish, you can then add it into your Mezzmo library using Add To Library -> Add Files.

bsantelli
07-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.4 has been released and you can now save out your transcoded files. Right-click on a file in Mezzmo and click Properties. In the Properties dialog, go to the Transcoding tab to see all the transcoded files that have been created for this file. Select one and click Save As to save it to a location on your computer. Once saved, if you wish, you can then add it into your Mezzmo library using Add To Library -> Add Files.
I don't quite understand this new function. One of the suggestions in this thread was for transcoded files to be called the same name as the file that is being transcoded. All this function does, is allow you to make a 'copy' of the transcoded file, and to another location. But how do I set the default, so that everytime mezzmo transcodes a file, it uses the original file name instead of the randomly generated filename? That's the feature I was waiting for and was hoping was included in the latest release.

Paul
07-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't quite understand this new function. One of the suggestions in this thread was for transcoded files to be called the same name as the file that is being transcoded. All this function does, is allow you to make a 'copy' of the transcoded file, and to another location. But how do I set the default, so that everytime mezzmo transcodes a file, it uses the original file name instead of the randomly generated filename? That's the feature I was waiting for and was hoping was included in the latest release.

Thanks for your feedback. Just to explain a little further - the transcoded filenaming is not random and is used internally by Mezzmo to quickly identify the transcoded file and how it was transcoded. So, unfortunately, we cannot have original filenaming in this instance.

Heffaklump
09-08-2012, 02:12 AM
I like most of suggestions in this thread. One feature I wold like to see is a quick way for each video file to get a "mark" or something if it needs to be transcoded to be played on a certain device. And I think this information is available right now, you just have to dig around for it and do it for each file.

For example I will have to transcode 30-60% of my avi files. It would be great if I easily could see this in the video library or somwere else. Because then I could pre-transcode those files in advance and be able to fast forward etc. I think we almost have this information because when l tried to transcode a file which was supposed to be natively supported Mezzmo told me I didn't have to (even though I had to force it in this case)

Just make a separate "quick" media scanner which checks the FFmpeg Information against the selected profile (for example BRAVIA KDL 2011).
Not being a programer but only looking at what you have in Mezzmo today it seems like a fast and straight forward solution to implement. But I guess it has to look nice to, and that could take ages to implement ;)

/Heffa

Heffaklump
09-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Maybe I should post this as a separate topic, I would love this feature but maybe it is in the wrong topic? Paul?

Paul
09-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Heffaklump. We'll consider it for a future version. In the current version (v2.6.7.0), you can right-click on a folder or playlist in Mezzmo and then click 'Pre-transcode Files'. Only those files that require pre-transcoding for the selected device will be queued and those that are natively supported will not be queued for transcoding. So this would let you pre-transcode the files that are not natively supported by your device in advance.

mhaswell
10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi,

I'd like to throw my vote in to this too. I have version 2.7.1.0 and I would love the column to show if something has been transcoded too.

I have a Samsung TV as the main thing I want to watch video on and the transcoding has really helped - except that the original file is of no use to me after it's been transcoded and so I would want to swap the newly transcoded file into the place of the original file (in order to save space rather than doubling it).

I understand that not all people would want to do that - but a right-click option perhaps - especially in a generated list of all the transcoded files (since it disappears from the Transcoder status window after it has been processed I don't want to have to look inside every folder to find every transcoded file).

I didn't know about the "properties" file "save transcoded file as" option - thanks for that! - although it's a pain it defaults to your desktop rather than the original folder it was transcoded from. Since I have currently about 168 transcoded files to swap over this would take hours of navigating through the directory tree again and again... and I haven't even told it to scan my library yet for files that need this - this is just the list of files that it has transcoded on the fly.

Ultimately I would like a tick box in the transcoding to automatically replace the original file (a copy of the original file could be kept in the transcoding directory tree just in case I suppose - then it's easy to just delete them when I run out of space). Then I could just tell it to transcode all files on the disk and I wouldn't have to worry about the old original versions taking up space but being useless to the Samsung TV.

Is there any list of planned features that you keep to work on? I wouldn't mind tracking this feature so I could see how long until it is implemented!

If there is a way I can help then please just let me know.

Best regards,

Matt

Paul
10-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi Matt,

We'll give this some more thought, but generally we don't like overwriting the original file automatically in Mezzmo - for a few reasons (i) if the transcoding (via ffmpeg.exe) produces an unplayable file in any way, then you are left with no original file any more (you will only know if it is unplayable when you stream it), and (ii) most people have more than one DLNA device in their home now (e.g. multiple TVs, Blu-ray players, smartphones, tablets, games consoles, etc.) so multiple transcoded files are required to match each device's supported formats so the files can be streamed natively to each device. So our current solution is to let users save a transcoded file to another location manually via the Save As button on the Properties dialog (Transcoding tab). This let's you save it to another location and add it to your Mezzmo library, or overwrite the original file if you wish. I agree that doing this one file at a time is time-consuming, so we'll look into a batch method to do this.

mhaswell
10-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi Paul,

Hmmm - I see your points. I do have a bunch of xbmc and smartphones (using Rockplayer) - but they are all less picky about media files than my Samsung TV which is why I base all transcoding on that and the others will always understand but I see what you mean. However a batch method to convert them would be great.

Many thanks,

Matt

Simran
02-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Paul,

Perhaps there should be a menu option & screen that lists all videos with transcoded files. This screen would that contain the following info:

Video source filename
Transcoded device name
Device Associated Transcoded file location (full file path)

On the top of the screen:

Transcoding folder size
Maximum Folder Size

I would see this either as a table, with each row a single entry for each transcoded file (i.e. if a Video source file was transcoded for 5 device profiles there are 5 rows), or a tree listing by Video source filename with sub-headings for each device type

Actions available to the user would be:

1. Refresh screen
2. Delete Transcoded file
3. Export/Save Transcoded file to another location. This must contain info on the Transcoded File - which device profile it was transcoded for, when it was transcoded, and the transcoding parameters.
4. Sort by each column in the table (except Device Associated Transcoded file location)

Action (2) would be a multi-select option to enable mass transcoding file deletion.

To avoid trying to attempt to delete a transcoded file being served, Mezzmo Server would need to be stopped.
Transcoded File(s) would be deleted.
Folder Size, and Maximum Folder size would be updated on deletion(s).
If the Mezzmo server has previously been stopped, Mezzmo server would be restarted.

Action (3) Could also be multi-selectable, all files would be copy exported and saved in to the same output location for manipulation outside of Mezzmo. If the device the Transcoded file metadata (and target MEzzmo device profile) was created for is also preserved in some way, it would be a great way to update the import function to easily inform the user what device it was intended for.

Hope this makes sense - hopefully you will find this of interest and use.

Cheers,

Simran

Paul
02-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Very comprehensive, Simran. All makes sense. We'll discuss it here and certainly consider it for a future version. Many thanks for the detailed suggestion.