PDA

View Full Version : Hardware question on HDD operation

Pootle
02-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Hi

Technical question about how Mezzmo handles video streaming when there are multiple drives in a server....

I have the OS (WHS 2011) and Mezzmo on a 500GB boot drive (C: ) and all my media on 2TB drives (E: & F: ). The boot drive is partitioned but is too big really and I'd like to use it solely for media storage, so my plan is to swap it for a 160GB drive and reinstall WHS and Mezzmo on that.

The question is how Mezzmo handles streaming - does it stream the video direct from the drive it is saved on, or does it go via C: (the drive that Mezzmo is saved on)? If it goes via C: then I guess there could be issues if that drive didn't have enough space to handle the file size of the video being streamed.

Note that the transcoded files are not saved on C:

Thanks

JohnM
02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
If it is not transcoding it does not save the file to the disk as streaming. In fact all of mine are saved on a NAS and I use the remote library features in Mezzmo to stream them out to the client machines.

Pootle
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
So if I have configured Mezzmo so that my transcoded files are saved on a drive that doesn't hold the OS or Mezzmo, then nothing will be written to the OS drive during streaming?

If that is the case, then I don't need to worry about how much space is on it.

Paul
02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
So if I have configured Mezzmo so that my transcoded files are saved on a drive that doesn't hold the OS or Mezzmo, then nothing will be written to the OS drive during streaming?

Yes, that's correct.

Pootle
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Great, thanks for confirming

snyderdj
09-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Has saving the transcoded files on a drive that doesn't hold the OS or Mezzmo worked for you? I tried to have my media files and the transcoded files saved to a HD that was the same as where Mezzmo or the OS was installed. When I tried to play a video on my Samsung TV, it wouldn't place. I would see the file, but when I tried to play it, it just skipped to the next one. I then had the files re-transcoded, but onto the HD where the OS and Mezzmo are installed. Now I can watch the videos, but I have run out of HD space.

Any ideas why I wasn't able to store the transcoded files on a HD that didn't have Mezzmo and the OS?

Thanks.

JohnM
09-01-2012, 10:59 AM
If the file was transcoded onto C: then the Mezzmo database expected to find it there. If you just copied the file over to E: you need to make sure Mezzmo knows where it is. What you should do is open the options dialog and point the temp files over to the other drive. That way when they are transcoded you do not need to move them and Mezzmo will know where they are.

Paul
09-03-2012, 11:29 AM
JohnM is right - go to the Transcoding Settings dialog in Mezzmo to set the location where you want your transcoded files to be stored. If you still have problems after this, then if you are storing the transcoded files onto a NAS drive, check your permissions on the NAS drive. Make sure that Mezzmo and Mezzmo media server has full read access to the NAS drive. You may need to set up a guest account or user account names on your NAS drive with the same names as that you are using Mezzmo on your Windows computer.