PDA

View Full Version : Massive memory usage

jayheyl
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
The other day I noticed free memory on my Windows 7 system continually decreasing. After much investigation I discovered DownloadStudio was the culprit. It appears it's attempting to hold each downloaded file entirely in memory while the download is proceeding. As I type this I'm downloading a couple very large files. By the time I finish this message my system will no doubt be swapping itself half to death. I have 8GB RAM on this machine.

Is there some configuration item I can set to stop it from caching the entire download in memory? I have several large downloads I will be doing over the next few days and I really don't want to put up with a system that spends hours swapping. I've worked on systems like that before and I find the performance intolerable.

Peter
02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
There is currently no setting in DownloadStudio available to prevent the memory problem you have described, Windows 7's file caching strategy is a problem as DownloadStudio keeps the file open until the download is complete. You may need to disable tcp autotuning http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/74556-enable-disable-tcp-auto-tuning.html We will investigate to see if this setting will improve performance when DownloadStudio is downloading large files.

jayheyl
02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I didn't think file caching, but that makes sense since the memory didn't appear to be associated with any application. It does appear Windows doesn't let it get to the point of swapping excessively, so perhaps it's more a perceived problem than an actual one.