PDA

View Full Version : mezzmo skipping on Sony bdp 370 and 720p skipping on xbox360

Miket101
03-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Hi i have a few questions im new to mezzmo and have recently started using it. I tried it on my xbox last night and plays well apart from 720 which kept skipping and restarted twice so i had to stop watching it. Secondly i also am trying to stream to my sony bdp 370 (blue-ray player) but when i start any file it tends to skip. Is there anything i can do about both issues on this. Im running a dual core 2.5 (5) with 3 gb ram on windows 7 never had a problem before when i was using wmp 12 but had to switch for the mkv and x264 aspect. Also when ever i start the server and watch a film my cpu is always at 90 to 99% all the time during playback is this normal as i would like to keep my pc on all night so i can use the service in the bedroom at night many thanks Mike.

JohnM
03-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Mike the Sony BDP is real limited in what it can show over dlna. That means that Mezzmo is converting (trancoding) the files from the format they are in to a format that the Sony can show. Any time you are dealing with high def it really taxes the machines resources so you see the cpu usage go high. It also usually fails to be able to keep up which is why it stutters. Things you can do. Pre-transcode a movie or two and see if it makes a big difference (you will probably like it). When you rip the files, save them into a format that your devices will use natively. This can be hard if you have multiple devices. For instance I have standardized all of the sets in my house to use the Sony BDP series for dlna. This allowed me to save dvds as either a VOB or mpg (I use sw to change the vob to mpg to correct ff/rew issues). I save the high def as m2ts for the same reason. Now it is not quite that simple because internal to the files they need to use the right codecs. So my dvds and blurays all use ac3 audio. I have stripped out the dts because it would cause them to go through transcoding. After deciding on a format it was just setting up the procedure to rip/save the individual shows to that format and they are available everywhere. I did it also to save disk space Since I have about 7TB used I don't want to use more transcoding any files, so I for instance do not allow the xbox(s) to view movies since they require a different format.

Miket101
03-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Mike the Sony BDP is real limited in what it can show over dlna. That means that Mezzmo is converting (trancoding) the files from the format they are in to a format that the Sony can show. Any time you are dealing with high def it really taxes the machines resources so you see the cpu usage go high. It also usually fails to be able to keep up which is why it stutters. Things you can do. Pre-transcode a movie or two and see if it makes a big difference (you will probably like it). When you rip the files, save them into a format that your devices will use natively. This can be hard if you have multiple devices. For instance I have standardized all of the sets in my house to use the Sony BDP series for dlna. This allowed me to save dvds as either a VOB or mpg (I use sw to change the vob to mpg to correct ff/rew issues). I save the high def as m2ts for the same reason. Now it is not quite that simple because internal to the files they need to use the right codecs. So my dvds and blurays all use ac3 audio. I have stripped out the dts because it would cause them to go through transcoding. After deciding on a format it was just setting up the procedure to rip/save the individual shows to that format and they are available everywhere. I did it also to save disk space Since I have about 7TB used I don't want to use more transcoding any files, so I for instance do not allow the xbox(s) to view movies since they require a different format.

Hi thanks for getting back to me John. Everything you said makes perfect sense now looking at some reviews. My bdp for some reason picks all my avi files up as m2ts (something like that) why is this i live in the Uk. I have herd that Sony sent an update to stop avi being read on there players but only in the Usa. Is there any patch or fix to change this as nearly all my files are avi. I have a 1tb hdd full of them. When i was using wmp12 i never had a problem with avi's. Could i revert back to the default settings on the blueray player and still have the ability to read avi's or is this not possible.

JohnM
03-12-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm not really familiar with the Uk Sony products. I am unfortunate enough to be in the US and evidently if I have an AVI I must be a thief. :-(

I do understand them wanting to protect their business (Sony that is), since the vast majority of their revenue comes from selling the DVDs/Blu-Rays. I just fail to see why they don't show some initiative and make the SW that will allow me to rip the DVD for their own media player. They could even use it to watermark the file so they would be able to track it back to the person that ripped it. The only explanation is that they must prefer to make lawyers happy and the heck with their customers. BTW since the files are showing up as m2ts they are certainly being transcoded. What you could do is select one of the other BDP profiles and see if that helps. Check in the Media Devices window. You probably are using the SonyBDP-PAL-NoDivX profile, try changing it to a different one.

Miket101
03-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm not really familiar with the Uk Sony products. I am unfortunate enough to be in the US and evidently if I have an AVI I must be a thief. :-(

I do understand them wanting to protect their business (Sony that is), since the vast majority of their revenue comes from selling the DVDs/Blu-Rays. I just fail to see why they don't show some initiative and make the SW that will allow me to rip the DVD for their own media player. They could even use it to watermark the file so they would be able to track it back to the person that ripped it. The only explanation is that they must prefer to make lawyers happy and the heck with their customers. BTW since the files are showing up as m2ts they are certainly being transcoded. What you could do is select one of the other BDP profiles and see if that helps. Check in the Media Devices window. You probably are using the SonyBDP-PAL-NoDivX profile, try changing it to a different one.

Thanks again for your reply John it would seem you have cracked the avi file issue for me. It was indeed on the profile no divx i have changed it to (pal). My blue-ray player has picked all my avi files up as .divx now and my cpu is running at a max of 10% when i play one. Thank you very much for your help with that. Im guessing the 720 releases i have are getting caught up on the transcoding as I'm wireless upstairs so I'm looking into home plugs to see if that makes it a bit faster. Infact im watching a 720 release now and its running alot better than before on this profile with a max of 15% cpu with no stuttering.
In the Uk John we can goto the sony support site and download an old firmware version on thumb drive. Not sure if you can do it over there but might be worth looking at downgrading your firmware to before they sent the update that killed avi might help but not sure. So sad Sony has done that. The piracy laws are so outdated they need a new model. It's becoming a control issue over the Internet especially with what happened with megaupload.com recently. Netflix is cheap enough now if only they released all the movies at the same time giving us an option to view at the cinema or download from netflix or similar. There would still be piracy but alot less i think.