PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge :-) 24p for the PS3

Aaron407
03-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I've noticed that files played back on my PS3 are often choppy. This is due to them being 24fps (23.976) rather than 30fps. The PS3 can output 24p to compatible sets when the option is enabled, but only for bluray disc and AVCHD format sources. Media server files are simply output at 60p, resulting in choppiness and degraded smoothness/effect in general.

Take a look here:

http://forums.qj.net/ps3-help-center/167238-1080p-24p-120hz-file-ps3.html

As it states, you can get the files to play back as 24p if the directory structure for AVCHD is intact. Would it be possible to spoof this structure so the files steamed over Mezzmo can be played at 24p? I know I'd be extremely happy with this since the choppiness drives me crazy. I also know you could get a lot of other customers on board who have been looking for this :-)

Paul
03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
On your PS3, have you tried the various settings for the video setting "1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)"? Try streaming with this setting as either Automatic, On or Off and see if that helps. Is your TV connected directly into your PS3 via a HDMI cable? Let us know how you go.

Aaron407
03-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Yes, I've tried everything. It plays properly in 24p from a bluray, but not from streamed media. It's a well known issue that the PS3 won't allow 24p output from anything other than physical bluray discs or, as the link I provided shows, an AVCHD formatted device (disc, flash drive, etc) which contains the correct directory structure. From what I can tell, there isn't even any custom PS3 firmware to allow it to work with streaming media. As such, I'm hoping there might be a way to spoof it into thinking proper AVCHD directory structure is in place in order to allow 24p output. Is that possible? I realize it's probably a stretch, hence the "challenge" in the title. If I can test anything please let me know!

Paul
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the further information.

Unfortunately, DLNA does not have a directory structure like a file system does so we cannot mimic the AVCHD directory structure. We will do some testing here and see if we replicate your problem and find a possible solution.