PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for organized attractive media browsing?

mikewest
04-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Total n00b here, so I apologize if these questions are very rudimentary. I'm researching what I need to stream a movie collection to two HDTVs, some ipods, and android devices. My primary concern is being able to browse or search the movies based upon metadata. I'm basically trying to re-create the netflix experience with my personal movie collection (I have over 800 DVDs and 100+ blu-rays I plan to rip to my BIG server).

I have seen how XBMC and WMC with Media Browser plug-in work and they both would fit my criteria for presentation on screen.

Is this something intrinsic to Mezzmo, where any compatible DLNA player, such as a Panasonic Viera HDTV, will offer that browsing experience?

Or do I need yet another two devices, such as an XBMC or WMC box to output HDMI to each TV?

I'm trying to minimize hardware for the sake of marital harmony and I need simplicity for the sake of the kids. Any suggestions, links to relevant guides or tutorials, are all greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Paul
04-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Mezzmo is a media server that lets you create your library of files and organize them in a manner that you like (by genre, artist, album, year, folders, last played, recently added, etc.). Mezzmo streams this information (via DLNA/UPnP standards) to all your devices and then your devices display this information. It is up to each device to display the information as they like - and all manufacturers do it differently :( If you are looking for a consistent browsing experience, then connecting a small media player device (like a WD TV Live) to each TV would help - but you would have another device to manage, and it does not help with your Android & iOS devices (you'll need to install a few free apps for streaming onto these devices). You could stick with one manufacturer such as Sony who try to keep their user experience similar across their TVs, Blu-ray players and PS3. If you already have a reasonably modern HD TV (Sony Bravia, Panasonic Viera, LG, Samsung, Philips, etc.), then it probably already has DLNA/UPnP built into it. I suggest downloading & installing the free 15-day trial of Mezzmo now and streaming to your TV to see how the user experience on your TV fits your family's needs. It may be fine.