PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding issues

arie01
04-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Hello,

I have some transcoding issues that I need to understand.

I just bought a brand new laptop with the i5-2520M CPU that is 2.5GHz native with turbo boost up to 3.2GHz and 4GB DDR3 RAM.

Most of my movies are MP4, which the Panasonic manual says it is a compatible format, but after about 10-20 minutes of playback, the image starts being choppy and I can't continue watching the movie.

Last night I pre transcoded (some of) my library, hoping that the problem will be eliminated as there is no need for so much processor power just to stream the video, but I was wrong. It is still choppy.

My TV is the Panasonic Viera model TC-P50S30 and the player profile I am using is Panasonic Viera (2011 models) and I'm streaming over a wireless N connection.

What do I need to do to be able to watch a movie from start to end without stopping or the chopping effect?

Thank you,

Paul
04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
The stuttering can be caused by a few things:

Your home network bandwidth may not be high enough. You are using wireless N. Assuming it is at full signal strength, then it should be OK. As a test, you can try using an Ethernet cable to eliminate the wireless being the cause.
Mezzmo may transcode the file on-the-fly & your computer is not able to transcode fast enough. You mention you also pre-transcoded the file and it still stuttered, so that will eliminate transcoding on-the-fly as the cause.
The video file's bitrate may be too high for your Panasonic TV's firmware to play. Many DLNA device's can struggle with high video birates and will stutter. Please post the FFmpeg information for the video file. To do this, right-click on the file in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'.
The video files may be badly encoded in some way. Does it happen for all videos or just some of your MP4 videos? Try a few other video files and see if you get the same behavior.

Let me know how you go.

arie01
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi Paul, thank you for answering back.

The stuttering I'm experiencing with Mezzmo happens in almost all the movies I have in MP4 format. They play perfectly well for the first 10-15 minutes then it starts stuttering.
The only thing that could go wrong in my set up is the wireless network. Although I get an excellent signal indicator, I don't know what the actual connection speed I get.
Unfortunately, I can't wire my equipment (laptop and TV) to my network. I mean, I could wire the laptop, that's not a problem, but I can't wire the TV because its location.
I'm thinking about getting a pair of those http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XAVB5601.aspx in order to pass connectivity to where my TV is, but I'd like to know if this is a recommended setup.

Thanks again,

Paul
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Please post the FFmpeg information for one of the MP4 files that starts to stutter. To do this, right-click on the file in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'.