PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting Surround Sound

Boogity
05-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I just installed Mezzmo as trial and will buy it if I can get Surround sound to work. I am using Directv h24-100 with all wireless. I can get video using the Directv profile but it is not surround. Do i try other profiles or am I missing something? I have been trying >mkv files that are in surround sound.
Any help?
Boogity

Paul
05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Based on user feedback from other Directv owners, we think Directv boxes are limited to 1 or 2 channel audio when streaming via DLNA/UPnP, and that's what our Directv device profiles are configured as. If you wish, we can send you a test device profile to see if 5.1 channel audio streams OK. Contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com if you are interested.

Boogity
05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Thank you Paul,
I decided to buy a LG blu ray player, LG BP620 and stream through it. I can't get 5.1 through it either transcoding to mpegts, h264, AC3 profile. I retranscoded all files using this profile. One thing weird, when I plugged the player in, mezzmo saw it it as a Marantz. I have tried this and the LG profile, with the same results. My surround is an Onkyo that plays everything else in 5.1 with no problems. At this point, do I need to pursue the Directv or the LG blu ray player?

Paul
05-07-2012, 11:15 AM
For your LG Blu-ray player, please choose the 'LG BluRay' or 'LG BluRay (LPCM)' device profiles. Both device profiles can stream video with 5.1 channel audio.

Your problem may be with your home theater setup. When you stream a movie to your LG Blu-ray player, can you see info onscreen on the playing file (using your LG remote control)? Does it say two channel or 5.1 channel? It should say 5.1 channel. Are you using HDMI (ARC) to pass the audio onto your Onkyo receiver? And, does your equipment pass 5.1 audio or just 2 channel audio via HDMI (ARC)? I believe some equipment only passes 2 channel audio via ARC.

Boogity
05-07-2012, 11:41 AM
That are the profiles I am using instead of Marantz. It looks like there are 2 choices; DTS 3/2.1 and Dolby 3/2.1 . My Onkyo is not HDMI so I am using optical from blu ray to Onkyo.

Paul
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
My Onkyo is not HDMI so I am using optical from blu ray to Onkyo.

That may explain your problem - my understanding is that most home theater equipment's optical output can only send out 2 channel PCM (and not 5.1 channel). You may need to read your receiver or Blu-ray player manual (or do a search on the internet) to confirm this though.

Boogity
05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I will check but how is it that Blu Ray movies play 5.1 through the same connection?

Boogity
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I will check but how is it that Blu Ray movies play 5.1 through the same connection?
Paul,
Where did you go?

Paul
05-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm still here :D Let's confirm what Mezzmo is streaming to your LG BDP and that will then help us isolate the issue down to either Mezzmo or your home theater setup. Please turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Connect to Mezzmo from your LG BDP and start streaming a file that you know has 5.1 audio. After it plays for a minute or so, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com. Also, send us the FFmpeg information on the file that you streamed. To do this, right-click on the file in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFMpeg Information'.

Boogity
05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm still here :D Let's confirm what Mezzmo is streaming to your LG BDP and that will then help us isolate the issue down to either Mezzmo or your home theater setup. Please turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Connect to Mezzmo from your LG BDP and start streaming a file that you know has 5.1 audio. After it plays for a minute or so, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com. Also, send us the FFmpeg information on the file that you streamed. To do this, right-click on the file in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFMpeg Information'.

Paul,
They are sent.

Paul
05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the logs. They show that Mezzmo is streaming your MKV natively to your LG BDP. No transcoding is taking place. If the MKV has 5.1 audio, then Mezzmo is streaming this to your LG BDP.

You did not post the FFmpeg information that I asked for in my previous post. Please post this as it may provide a hint at what may be going wrong.

Paul
05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Just got your FFMpeg information - thanks. It shows that your MKV file has two audio streams and both are 5.1 audio.

So, I can confirm that Mezzmo is streaming your MKV natively (with its 5.1 audio streams). If you are only getting stereo audio into your receiver, then one of your devices (LG BDP or Onkyo receiver?) must be changing the audio to stereo.

Boogity
05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Paul,
Then I am at loss. I tried a new .mkv and said to not encode, it plays but still shows 3/2.1 and it is not surround. I can play a blu Ray disc through the same player and it is in surround. I tried changing the setting on the player to DTS re encode and PCM and it still is 3/2.1. Do you have any ideas what I am missing or where to start to fix it?

Paul
05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Do you have any ideas what I am missing or where to start to fix it?

Sorry I am not 100% sure what may be going wrong. I would recommend going over to AVSforums (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/) and asking the folks there, as there are many home theater experts there & they are very helpful. There's also "Official <insert device here> threads" that discuss issues regarding your specific receiver & BDP.

If you still suspect Mezzmo, then please do let me know & we will continue to investigate & help you.