PDA

View Full Version : The only thing i want for xmas (well an extremly early xmas)

Pudster
05-09-2012, 08:18 PM
I have just found this software and I'm completly impressed, it does exactly everything (except one thing, reason for post) I was looking for in a media streamer....... LOVE IT!

The only thing missing is the ability to merge folders with the same name so they only appear once on the Player but with all sub-folders and files there.

PLEASE, PLEASE add this feature..

Keep up the good work....

Thanks Pudster.....

Paul
05-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Can you give us an example of what you mean? i.e. provide a few folders/sub-folders and what the result should look like on your DLNA device. That way we can fully understand your suggestion. Many thanks.

charlesc
05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
The only thing missing is the ability to merge folders with the same name so they only appear once on the Player but with all sub-folders and files there.

I've found the ability that Mezzmo has in working with certain conditions to aggregate files together has made all the difference in my application. Most of my files are TV show captures.
The smartlists mean I can have many locations on my PC, on many hard drives, but once the smartlists are set up, the shows (Top Gear, for instance) all appear under that name, irrespective of where they are stored.
Most of my smartlists have conditions like Filename, Starts with (for example) 'Top Gear'.

For me the grouping is by 'show', if you like, rather than by folder. Although there is a folder set in the list, I ignore it. That is where the files (TV shows) come from, but I view them by show name. And it doesn't matter that the various Top Gear shows may be coming from different named folders on different hard drives, they're just put together by Mezzmo.

If you don't navigate by 'folder', but rather by setting up things like 'smartlists', the actual name of the folders aren't relevant. Is what I'm doing similar to what you want to do, or have I missed your application need completely?

There is a further functionality in Mezzmo that looks really interesting, but it doesn't appear to be fully working yet It's called NMSS, and is where you can have a number of PCs running Mezzmo, each PC with multiple hard drives and smartlists working on various folders. Then a 'master' Mezzmo on your main PC can bring in the detail from the other PC Mezzmo's, and, for example, all the Top Gears from all PCs just appear under one show name. When you access that show on say your TV, it gets it from whichever PC has it, and streams it.
That is very unique.

Pudster
05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi Paul and thanks for the reply.

I'll try to explane :

I've just built a media server that has 3x3Tb and 1x2Tb drives in it, because of the sheer size of my collection, now I have 2 catagories i want to display Movies and TV Shows.

Now on Drive 1 I have a folder in the root called TV Shows and it is prob 7/8 full, every show has a sub folder using its name then each season has a sub folder under that.

ie : D:\TV Shows\CSI\Season 1\Episode 1.avi

Then on drive 2 I have the same folder system for what doesnt fit on drive 1.

ie E:\TV Shows\Walking Dead\Season 1\Episode 1.avi

Then on drive 3 its F:\Movies\Comedy\Hangover.avi
Drive 4 its G:\Movies\Western\3-10 to yuma.avi

Now when I add the d:\tv shows to the library everythings fine
but then when I add e:\tv shows there are to selections with the exact same name (TV Shows) the contents of each drive under its own TV Shows entry

What I was looking for is if 2 folders of exactly the same name are added to the librarys root then mezzmo would ask if you wish to merge them so all the content show under one heading.

I have found a workaround that I'm happy to say works well.

I added the 2 TV Shows folders to the library then copied the content of 1 to the other (in Mezzmo, not explorer) and then deleated the copy.

It works perfectly but if I had a new show to the second drive I will have to manualy add the folder to the library but if I add it to the the first drive it should be added automaticaly.

Sorry if I haven't explaned myself very well, I've tried and I realise the way I do things isn't everyones choice but before this I was using 3 QNAP NAS' which use twonky and thats what the whole family is use to so I wanted to make it as simple for them as possible.

Thanks Paul.

Paul
05-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I understand your setup and what you would like to do. We'll discuss this more here and see if we can come up with a workflow/features that let you do what you want to do in a future version of Mezzmo. For the moment, I'm glad you have found a reasonable workaround.

Paul
09-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Just an update - Mezzmo v3.4 now has a new feature called Merged Folders and this lets you combine folders from different drives (NAS, USB and internal) so that you can browse a single folder structure in Mezzmo and on your devices. See this FAQ for more details - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6338-Tutorial-How-to-merge-folders-from-different-drives-%28NAS-USB-or-internal%29