PDA

View Full Version : Playlists

shutter
05-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi sorry in advance if this has been asked already, i did search before posting.

I was wondering if there was a good explanation of the different playlist types and what each is good at.

Specifically i'm trying to create a playlist that shows the latest 20 movies in my movie folder, but not show any of the TV shows. Right now i can only get it to show 20 of the last entries that are video. Tv, movies, home vids, training vids, etc.. i just want it for a specific folder and its sub folders.

thanks a ton!!

Paul
05-15-2012, 11:31 AM
I'd suggest creating a smart playlist and using 'File Path' in your rules. Here's an example set of rules you could use:

'File type' is 'Video' AND
'File path' contains 'movies'

(assuming your movies are located in a folder & sub-folders like 'E:\videos\movies', whereas your tv shows are located in a folder & sub-folders like 'E:\videos\tv shows').

You can also use 'starts with' if that helps your situation better. Let me know if that helps.

shutter
05-16-2012, 03:45 AM
That sounds perfect! thanks i'll give it a try!

shutter
05-16-2012, 04:01 AM
ok my setup i use several drives, each drive has one or two genres in it. as follows:

d:\scififantasy\
e:\educdoc\
j:\tv\
k:\crimemystery\
k:\horror\
m:\kids\movies
m:\kids\tv
n:\drama\
n:\comedy\
p:\actadv\
s:\romcom\

i've got it kind of working but i'd like more control than i can figure out. i add each folder with the file path starts with n:\comedy as an example, but then i still end up with the sample files which i don't want to show up. if i set it to also have a duration of 10+ minutes, then i'd have to change the ALL/ANY to any and that then pics up stuff in educational and documentary that i don't want. i have a playlist called "Movies" and then added folders under that for each genre in mezzmo already, is there some way i can tell it to use that play list and a duration of 10m or longer?

Also does a maintain library have to be run for it to see new files??

I guess i could move all the movie folders into a folder called MOVIES on each drive but that would require a lot of resetting up other stuff on my ssystem that would suck.

shutter
05-16-2012, 04:33 AM
i think i solved most of it.. here is what i did.

i added a _Latest Movies smart playlist (hoping the _ will force it to appear on top of the list)
chose match all
duration greater than 10 minutes
file path does not contain E:\ J:\ and M:\

that works and no more samples show up, but it does seem like a libary maint must be run for it to be really accurate?

Paul
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Just to explain what you are seeing: It seems you have added folders into your Mezzmo library and they are dynamic in how they work. Mezzmo dynamically finds the files as you browse the folders/sub-folders in Mezzmo or on your DLNA device. So, if you have added a file into a folder or sub-folder on your computer at a later date, then Mezzmo will not pick it up until you browse into it - or until you run Maintain Library - and that's when you will see the file get added into your smart playlists. So, you can run Maintain Library every so often to keep your folders & files up-to-date in your Mezzmo library (or just right-click on your folder and click Maintain Playlist if you just want to maintain the folder/playlist that you have added files into).

shutter
05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
you are absolutely right, that is exactly what is happening.. i just set it to maintain library at 3am each day and that'll work fine... in a crunch like you mentioned, i can just maintain that particular folder and it pops up fine. Thanks for the help!! =]

Paul
05-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Glad you have a working solution. Hope you enjoy streaming with Mezzmo :)