PDA

View Full Version : Downloading images question

Tayson
01-31-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi all and congrats on your new forum :)

A lot of sites (like google/google blogs etc.) are using image redirecting so when i use Download Studio it only download empty folders with no content.

When i look at the job files tab during site scanning i can see lot of errors\skiped files and redirecting messages.

Is there any way to avoid image redirecting with Download Studio?
Is there a way to avoid image redirecting at all?
How does image redirecting works?

Brent
01-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Redirecting on websites works by sourcing content from another URL (web address). In the case of Google, it may display an image in its search results, but the actual source of that image may be from another website. This is normal and nothing can be done about it. DownloadStudio is capable of handling this without any problems.

In DownloadStudio, if you create a site download job that has the "Span across" setting as "domain" (the default setting), then it will only download files from that domain (e.g. google.com). Any URLs that it finds when searching through web pages that are from another domain (e.g. cars.com) will be skipped since they do not match your span across setting.

The simplest fix for this is to set the "Span across" setting to "All domains and servers" so that URLs from other domains will be downloaded.

Be wary when using "All domains and servers", since it is possible to download a huge amount of files if you allow your site job to follow links onto other domains.

Also, in the Job Files tab, the most common error is a -404. This is a URL not found error, and typically happens when a web page includes a URL that no longer exists any more.