PDA

View Full Version : Messzmo 2.6 Transcoding/not transcoding problem

dpetr
05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
I have been using the "Sony Bravia KDL" profile for some time with transcoding turned off at the device level. I just upgraded Mezzmo to version 2.6. Most of my video library doesn't require transcoding and can be played natively by the TV (h264/ac3/m2ts). So as an experiment, I turned transcoding on for the TV at the device level in order to play a few avi and mkv files that would not play natively. However, now everything gets transcoded. Not so good. I went into the device profile and took out the comment notations around this section here, so it's no longer a comment:

<!--
<avcontainer id="mpegts" name="mpegts" encode="0" mimetype="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" dlnaprofile="AVC_TS_HD_60_AC3_T" supportschunked="0" minlevel="40">
<video>
<format id="h264" encode="0">
</format>
</video>
<audio>
<format id="ac3" encode="0">
</format>
</audio>
<audio>
<format id="eac3" encode="0">
</format>
</audio>
</avcontainer>
-->
It still tries to transcode all the files unless I specifically tell Mezzmo to use the original file under the files Properties dialog->Transcoding tab->Use Original File button. Then it doesn't transcode the file as before and I can now even play back files that needed transcoding. That's great so far.

There is one problem I can't seem to fix though. On the properties page of any video file, the transcoding tab, the "use original file" button can only be applied to one file at a time. This is a problem for me since I want to specify that option for quite a few files. If you have multiple files selected, bring up the properties dialog, you can change quite a few database fields all at once, which is quite handy. It would be quite nice if you could also change the transcoding flag for multiple files at once also, rather than using the arrow keys at the top of the dialog to essentially make the same change countless numbers of times for each selected file. This file by file decision to transcode or not transcode requires clicking the "use original file button" and clicking on the client device and then clicking the OK button. This is fine for 50 files or so, but a few thousand is a different story. If I'm missing something to make that job easier, I'd really like to know what it is.

Incidentally, the commented section above in the SonyBraviaKDL profile prevents my m2ts/h264/ac3 videos from playing when transcoding is turned off for the TV.

Thanks in advance. Dale.

Paul
05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks for reporting this. We'll try to reproduce your problem and post back any issues/fixes that we can find.

steve12
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Hello Paul,

i have the same problem. Mezzmo 2.5 works with m2ts when transcoding is turn off very well! (Sony Bravia KDL profile)

steve12
05-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Hi,

i use the old "Sony Bravia KDL profile" of the version 2.5.0. It works with the new version 2.6.1 perfectly for me.

Paul
05-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks for this feedback. We are looking into it.

the1t
05-22-2012, 01:56 AM
Hi,

i use the old "Sony Bravia KDL profile" of the version 2.5.0. It works with the new version 2.6.1 perfectly for me.

I have the same problem mentioned from the first post. I am using the latest update. 2.6.1.0. Is there a fix available?

At the moment I have to turn off transcoding for files that do not need transcoding and turn it back on when needed. Is there a ETA on resolving this problem?

(However I am using a Samsung B profile.)

Paul
05-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll help you out.

dpetr
05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Paul,

Have you been able to reproduce this problem? And is there a procedure to make the "use original file" under "transcoding" tab in "Properties" dialog for more than one file at a time? One thing to note is that from version 2.5 to version 2.6, the SonyBraviaKDL profile has changed by commenting out the bit from my first post in this thread. That's the reason that reverting to the 2.5 profile works, as steve12 has demonstrated above (there were no comment markers in the 2.5 profile as I recall). That still doesn't explain why, after turning on transcoding for the TV, h264/ac3 files still get transcoded all the time even with the comments removed for that code section in the profile.

Paul
05-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Have you been able to reproduce this problem?

Not as yet. Hopefully we'll get to it tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

KGriff
05-22-2012, 04:34 PM
I occasionally get audio/video sync issues with *.avi files and the Sony Bravia KDL profile, which I use for my Sony KDL-40EX503 TV, but this occurs in v2.5 and now v2.6 of mezzmo. A simple start/stop of the movie corrects the issue and I cannot easily reproduce the problem nor find what causes it to happen. The network link to all devices is cabled and mezzmo is running on a 3ghz quad core dedicated windows 7 x64 PC with plenty of ram and disk space. I was hoping the new profile would resolve the problem but it seems the issue is still there. There is some suggestion that the TV firmware may be at fault but I am not sure at this stage.

Click HERE (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/3069-Occasional-Audio-Sync-Issues-Sony-KDL-40EX503-TV?highlight=kdl-40ex503)to see previous posting.

steve12
05-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Hello Paul,

I have send you a mail with the different profiles from version 2.5 and 2.6 Sony Bravia KDL. Please check these for variability. Profil 2.5 works when transcoding is turn off perfectly.

Paul
05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Got your email - thanks. We'll check the differences and send you a new device profile to test. If your tests go well, then we'll provide an update for all users.

steve12
05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Hello,

thank you for the support

best regards,

steve

steve12
05-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Hello Paul,

perfect with 2.6.2.0

That’s it. Now Playback is fine.
Thank you for this great and quick solution

Steve

Paul
05-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Great to hear you are up and running now, Steve. Thanks for your help to track down the problem.

dpetr
05-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Hello Paul.

I'm afraid this thread has gotten off of the problem that I posted in the first post. In releasing version 2.6.2, what you've done is essentially make the SonyBraviaKDL profile to be a carbon copy of the one in version 2.5. This alone does not solve the problem as I posted in the first post of this thread. I'll attempt to reword the issue in a simpler form.

Video file #1 = h264/ac3/m2ts = plays natively on the TV = requires no transcoding.
With Transcoding turned on for the TV, which should mean transcoding files that the TV can't play natively, they still get transcoded.
With transcoding turned off, of course the file doesn't get transcoded and it plays fine.

Video file #2 = xvid/mp3/avi = will not play natively on the TV = requires transcoding
Only plays with transcoding turned on for the TV, otherwise doesn't even show up.

The idea of course is to play all files. However, file #1 above doesn't need to be transcoded. The only workaround I have found is to set each file independently as far as transcoding goes. This process will only deal with one file at a time. Too labor intensive. The preferred solution is to fix the profile so that Video file #1 does not get transcoded when transcoding is turned on for the TV. A modification is required in the profile to tell Mezzmo never to invoke ffmpeg for file #1 when transcoding is turned on for the TV. That's the issue and it still exists in version 2.6.2.

Paul
05-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks for letting us know. It appears your Bravia model operates differently to others, so we'll create a new Sony Bravia device profile that matches the capabilities of your model. We'll include this in all future Mezzmo versions so you and other owners of your particular Bravia model will have access to it. Please contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll send out the new device profile. In your email, please include the FFmpeg information on the file that does play natively and the file does not play natively. To do this, right-click on the file in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'. Also, please include a set of logs. Turn on logging (see see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging). Restart your server and connect to Mezzmo. Then, stop your server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up the logs and send them to us.

dpetr
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Logs sent.

Paul
05-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks - got them. We'll analyze them and create a new Sony Bravia profile for you. We'll respond shortly.

dpetr
05-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Hello once again Paul.

I've tested the new profile you sent. I've sent you a new set of log files via email. In particular, the server transcoding log should show you the result. Thanks.

Paul
05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Got your email & logs -thanks. We'll respond shortly.