PDA

View Full Version : EPIC problems with 2.6.0 - Additional Issues!

ZazaBB
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
OK, maybe I got a little spoiled with the way the releases were... usually more fixes than broken stuff... this release tho... BIG PROBLEMS.

It is now so bad that I cannot even reinstall ANY Mezzmo on my system, as the uninstall of 2.6.0 also deleted several crucial services, one of which appears to be UPNP services and who knows what else.

It started with a simple crash this morning, from which I uploaded the new handy Crash Info tool....

This afternoon, it all went straight to Hades. It errored out with the usual "Cannot Read Memory Location" and would not start again no matter what I did.

I uninstalled, expecting to go backwards to 2.5.0... well, no luck there. Services missing, etc.

So I attempted to go back to an earlier version... however silly me didn't DOWNLOAD it, I allowed the UPDATE service to do it, therefore I have no older version to install... except for 2.4.2 and earlier.

They actually installed, but errored out with "Cannot Register Mezzmo With Server", which, according to the logs, is error 1075 and upon further inspection appears to be related to media services like UPNP, etc.

I am now without Mezzmo at all.... I must say I am rather unhappy. OS is Server 2003 64-Bit and I await your golden words of wisdom.

Paul
05-18-2012, 11:20 AM
A few users have also reported crashes upon server startup. We're fixing these issues now.

If you have not yet sent the crash dump to us please do this now. Next, contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we can get you try the patch that we are preparing now. If this works for you, then we will make it available as a minor update to all users.

ZazaBB
05-18-2012, 12:39 PM
A few users have also reported crashes upon server startup. We're fixing these issues now.

If you have not yet sent the crash dump to us please do this now. Next, contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we can get you try the patch that we are preparing now. If this works for you, then we will make it available as a minor update to all users.

Hi Paul.. yeah, about that.. I cannot install Mezzmo at all. I cleaned up everything I could find to help the reinstall, with no luck. So, I can't send you any dumps... and unless you are adding some libraries in the patch, I'll be having quite a time just getting the server back to normal... no UPNP services, etc. Please advise.....

Paul
05-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Mezzmo does not install at all? What error is reported? Installing Mezzmo does not require any UPnP services to be running; the installer simply installs the Mezzmo file set onto your computer. It is only when you try to register or start your Mezzmo server that the UPnP services come into play. Let me know more about the errors you are getting so we can help get you back up and running.

ZazaBB
05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Mezzmo does not install at all? What error is reported? Installing Mezzmo does not require any UPnP services to be running; the installer simply installs the Mezzmo file set onto your computer. It is only when you try to register or start your Mezzmo server that the UPnP services come into play. Let me know more about the errors you are getting so we can help get you back up and running.

Hi Paul - Yes it does install, but as soon as you attempt to start the media server itself, it gives a Memory Access Violation and also the 1705 error. It doesn't go any further than that. The logs show that the service dependency is marked for deletion or doesn't exist. - Hope that helps. - Thanks

Paul
05-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the further information. Check Services in Control Panel and make sure the following services are exist & are running:

DCOM Server Process Launcher
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
UPnP Device Host

If you still crash, please send the crash dump to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Paul
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.1 was just released so, when you have a stable computer setup again, please use this version to re-install Mezzmo. Hopefully it will fix your earlier Mezzmo server crashes. Let us know how you go.

ZazaBB
05-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.1 was just released so, when you have a stable computer setup again, please use this version to re-install Mezzmo. Hopefully it will fix your earlier Mezzmo server crashes. Let us know how you go.

Hi Paul - Installed 2.6.1 but do not have UPNP any longer... "The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion" Error Code 1075 - When trying to run regsrv32 upnphost.dll it says the file doesn't exist, then I found on the new server Server 2003 x64 I am building that the Mezzmo Media UPNP Server is started by mezzmomediaserver.exe and is named for the player on which it resides. The old machine is Server 2003 x86. DCOM is started, RPC is started, though locator is not. As I mentioned, removing 2.6.0 really hosed things up. Interestingly enough, my old DLink media server runs just fine and serves files just fine. The problems created all have to do with the removal of Mezzmo 2.6.0 which seems to have removed services that should not have been removed or has created a problem in the registry. Have any little packages that will fix this without me having to do these things manually? I tried running mezzmomediaserver.exe from the program files directory, just for grins, but it had no effect. Awaiting your sage advice and wisdom.

Paul
05-21-2012, 01:11 PM
The Mezzmo uninstaller does not touch other services (such as UPnP Device Host) so I am not sure what has happened to your UPnP service. Have you tried repairing your Windows 2003 so that it re-installs the missing files? Also, try a UPnP test tool to see if it tells you what is missing - http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/UPnP-Test.shtml. Let me know how you go. Contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com if needed.

Mills
05-21-2012, 04:33 PM
I had the exact same issue on server 2003 32bit. Upnp host was missing on the services.msc. Reinstalled the drivers but now i get a Error 1067 when i start the mezzmo service.

Paul
05-21-2012, 04:44 PM
I had the exact same issue on server 2003 32bit. Upnp host was missing on the services.msc. Reinstalled the drivers but now i get a Error 1067 when i start the mezzmo service.

Thanks for the tip regarding reinstalling the drivers. I hope that can help ZaZaBB get up and running.

With regards Error 1067, it seems the Mezzmo server is terminating suddenly. If you are running the latest Mezzmo v2.6.1, then your problem may be similar to a few other users that are reporting a crash upon start up of the Windows service. We have prepared a patch so please contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com to try it.

ZazaBB
05-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi Paul & Mills...

This is chasing the proverbial "Snipe". There is no UPNPHost on Server 2003 unless you specifically install it from the Windows Media Package(s), which I have never done, and this server was previously running DLink Media Server V1.10 for years..... it still DOES work as I tried it after the Mezzmo crash. UPNP Services are being created, as stated above, by mezzmomediaserver.exe and is named for the player on which it resides, I.E. either the Machine Name or the Mezzmo Server name. Haven't tried changing either to see which it is. 2.5.0 is running on my Server 2003 x64 and there is no service other than mezzmomediaserver.exe which has ANYTHING to do with UPNP services. Prior to installing 2.5.0 on the new server, no UPNP services were there.... the service was installed by Mezzmo, initiated by Mezzmo and administered by Mezzmo.

Whatever is going on has to do with changes made by Mezzmo on the upgrade, or uninstall or a combination thereof. My bet is there are registry issues that will need to be correct before Mezzmo in any shape or form will run on a machine since hobbled.

Hopefully Paul & The Crew can cobble together a routine to go through the registry to cleanup the Mezzmo entries so that there is virtually no trace of Mezzmo left... including any .ini files or similar. Since I have a second server built and running, I will try the cleanup and try installing 2.6.1 or whatever to see if it's rectified.

Several other packages, namely Nero, several Adaptec, and many other registry intense programs have similar "clean-up" tools, so this is not an unusual request or tool to be offered.

I await further instructions or input......

Paul
05-22-2012, 11:11 AM
ZazaBB - please contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll guide you through the steps to ensure the registry, etc. is clean.

ZazaBB
05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
ZazaBB - please contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll guide you through the steps to ensure the registry, etc. is clean.

Hi Paul - I sent a very detailed reply to the support email you sent me. I am posting this so that you are aware of it and consider the option of remoting into my servers to solve these issues.

Thanks

Paul
05-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Got your email - thanks. We'll be in touch via email shortly to assist you.

ZazaBB
05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Got your email - thanks. We'll be in touch via email shortly to assist you.

Hi Paul - OK, well it appears you are in Victoria Australia, Time Zone GMT +10:00 and I am in the Midwest USA, Time Zone -06:00, which means 12 Noon Lunchtime is 9:00 PM for me. So, if we're going to do the remote on the server(s), let me know what time will work best and how we can coordinate it. Unless, of course, you have come up with a brilliant master stroke that will solve all the ills and make this a non-issue. ????? - Awaiting your message from Down Under.......

Paul
05-23-2012, 02:20 PM
We've found the problem and are in the process of fixing it & testing it before we hand it over to you. Stay tuned...

ZazaBB
05-24-2012, 11:54 AM
We've found the problem and are in the process of fixing it & testing it before we hand it over to you. Stay tuned...

Hi Paul

As you know from my early morning email, I have found a workaround to get 2.6.1.2 working finally on Server 2003 x86. I am very interested in your findings, as I have not updated the other Server 2003 x64 machine that is running 2.5.0.

Paul
05-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi ZazaBB,

Thanks for your email & detailed findings. We are presently reproducing your setup and will hopefully reproduce your problem very soon. I'll post back when he have reproduced your problem.

ZazaBB
05-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Hi ZazaBB,

Thanks for your email & detailed findings. We are presently reproducing your setup and will hopefully reproduce your problem very soon. I'll post back when he have reproduced your problem.

Just verifying that Paul & Peter & The Crew have created a patch that seems to be working stable and smooth. I've updated both servers now with 2.6.1.2, ran Maint on the library, and have served from both with no problems or crashes so far.

For general information, it's running on 2 - Dell PowerEdge 2900's that are very different hardware-wise, one running Server 2003 x86 and one running Server 2003 x64. Media devices are Popcorn Hour A110's, eGreat M34a's, LG BluRay players and a Toshiba Smart-TV. - Good job folks!

One last thing.... I see the latest download version is 2.6.2.0 but am not seeing it come through as an update on Mezzmo. Do I want to tempt fate and install this one?

Paul
05-26-2012, 07:53 AM
One last thing.... I see the latest download version is 2.6.2.0 but am not seeing it come through as an update on Mezzmo. Do I want to tempt fate and install this one?

Great that the patch is working for you. Sorry for the troubles you experienced with the previous version.

We rolled the patch we sent you and a few other fixes into v2.6.2, so please do install the latest update. Let us know if you have any problem.