PDA

View Full Version : unable to serve media from external hdd

firelynx
05-19-2012, 11:13 PM
have a really odd problem since upgrading from 2.5

originally had a trial version of 2.5 installed and it worked perfectly. The trial expired, and i purchased a license.
upon doing this, the software came with update to 2.6.1

once i updated, none of my devices can browse the folder located on the external drive. (connected via usb)
the drive is present, and mezzmo can see the drive and all files. I even cleared the library and re added everything to make sure.

the server can be seen on the the devices and while browsing, as soon as you select the folder located on the external drive, there is a brief pause, then an error message. moving the folder to the C drive solved the problem, but my server has a very tiny drive so i can't hold much on it (30gb ssd) devices in question are samsung tv un55d6000 and asus o!play.

and to make things even more complicated, uninstalling and reinstalling 2.5 everything worked again, until i put in my license key. once i put in the key and restarted the server (still on 2.5) ran into the same problem.

anyone have any ideas ?

firelynx
05-21-2012, 01:08 AM
upon further troubleshooting, i believe i found the cause of the problem.

once mezzmo starts, ffmpeg.exe immediately starts using 100% of the cpu. making mezzmo too slow to respond and forcing my devices to time out when searching for folders.
the strange thing however, is that im not transcoding or streaming anything.

i installed mezzmo on another pc, and it works fine. so i think today im going to reinstall windows on that machine, and see if it helps.

Paul
05-21-2012, 12:14 PM
ffmpeg.exe is used for transcoding and creating video thumbnails in Mezzmo. In the Transcoding pane in Mezzmo, do you see any files being transcoded? In the Status pane, do you see 'Creating Video thumbnails'?

firelynx
05-21-2012, 12:46 PM
yes, it was making the thumbnails. I didn't even think of that.

upon completing the thumbnails, the cpu usage went back down, but my devices still time out trying to access anything on my external drive. yet streaming off the local drive is fine.
im kind of at a loss at this point.

think im going to wait until tomorrow then ill be reinstalling the OS.

Paul
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Please send us a set of logs and that will help us understand what may be going wrong. Turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging). Restart your Mezzmo server and then try to browse some playlists/folders. When it fails, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.