PDA

View Full Version : Why transcoding? Why not just stream?

boneslammer
07-29-2012, 04:41 AM
This may be a stupid question, but i don't see the point in transcoding.

My PC can play every file format imaginable, and show it on my TV with my old school HDMI cable.
Why do we have to transcode, instead of just letting the codecs on the PC do the hard work. And just stream the monitor output to the TV. Instead via the cable?

Even with a PC powerhouse i cannot transcode 1080p with surround fast enough to watch on the fly. 100% CPU usage. But when i use the cable, i'm doing fine with 5%. Seems like a huge waste og CPU, and electricity.

li21
07-30-2012, 02:38 AM

My PC can play every file format imaginable, and show it on my TV with my old school HDMI cable.
Why do we have to transcode, instead of just letting the codecs on the PC do the hard work. And just stream the monitor output to the TV. Instead via the cable?

Even with a PC powerhouse i cannot transcode 1080p with surround fast enough to watch on the fly. 100% CPU usage. But when i use the cable, i'm doing fine with 5%. Seems like a huge waste og CPU, and electricity.

I have the same issue..
100% on a quad core system

Pity is not all devices can play ALL formats..
Transcoding is said to overcome this.. but there are still always files that wont play for me even transcoded (Windows Media Centre TV recordings)

Paul
07-30-2012, 10:53 AM

Connecting your PC to your TV via a HDMI cable is effectively using your TV as a monitor for your PC. If that works for you, then perhaps continue with this. DLNA is different to this. Using your home network, you can stream files from a media server like Mezzmo to many DLNA-compatible devices in any part of your home. You control what you play using your device's remote control (not your PC).

Each DLNA devices supports a certain number of video, audio and photo formats. When a file on your PC does not match the formats on your DLNA device, that's where transcoding is used by your media server. Mezzmo will transcode your files on-the-fly as you stream them - or you can pre-transcode your files before you play them.

boneslammer
11-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Well, even with a cutting edge home pc. Transcoding 1080p with full surround will not work on the fly.
And pretranscoding 20+ movies takes up way to much space.

Paul
11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Please let us know what device or application are you streaming these movies to. It may be that your device profile is not set correctly in Mezzmo. The device profile tells Mezzmo what formats are supported by the device or application that you are streaming to.