PDA

View Full Version : Considering Mezzmo

sohail
08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Im considering switching from Serviio to Mezzmo as I have heard many good things about Mezzmo.

I have just upgraded my TV from a Samsung to Panasonic and serviio doesn't play nice!! gutted as i only purchased the serviio pro license

one question I have is does Mezzmo allow meta data retrieval from online sources to download covers and other information for say video files? (as serviio does)

also does it allow streaming of live streams or even your desktop as serviio?

Paul
08-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi sohail,

Some answers:

Mezzmo can retrieve text metadata (title, genre, album, artist, year, etc.) and artwork from many sources. Firstly, it can retrieve text metadata and artwork that is embedded in your video files, music files and photos. Secondly, Mezzmo can read the popular external metadata files you may have on disk such as XMBC .nfo/.tbn files, ThumbGen .tgmd files, My Movies XML files, series.xml, folder.jpg/png, <filename>.jpg/png and more (see http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/formatsupport.asp#MetadataRead). For music files, Mezzmo also searches for album artwork on the web. For video files, you can search and download movie & TV show text metadata and artwork from IMDb and TheTVDB.com (go to the Properties dialog for a video file in Mezzmo and click 'Get Online Video Metadata').
No URL or live streaming in the current version of Mezzmo as yet. This will be included in the upcoming major new version, Mezzmo v3.0. It's a free upgrade for all registered users & will be released later his year.
For users who have paid for another media server, we do currently have a nice offer where you can get a great discount on Mezzmo. See here - http://www.conceiva.com/buy/specialoffers.asp#Mezzmo-Competitor-Offer

sohail
08-07-2012, 10:31 PM
thats great thanks

is there any way i can automatically set mezzmo to download artwork for my movies as they are added to the library if you have loads of files doing it one at a time can be time consuming

Paul
08-08-2012, 07:52 AM
There's no method in the current Mezzmo version (v2.6.7) as yet to automatically download movie or tv show artwork for video files. The main reason is that the search terms for getting the artwork from the internet are based on the either the video file's file name or any metadata embedded within the video file. File names for video files can be quite random and that can produce erroneous results in getting artwork (bad matches). So, we ask the user to search to the movie or tv show artwork in the current version of Mezzmo. We'll look at automatic retrieval for a future version.

Mezzmo does automatically retrieve artwork from external metadata files such as XBMC (.nfo/.tbn), ThumbGen (.tgmd), series.xml, episode.xml, mymovies.xml, movie.xml and more, so you can bypass the manual searching if you wish.

sohail
08-08-2012, 09:12 AM
There's no method in the current Mezzmo version (v2.6.7) as yet to automatically download movie or tv show artwork for video files. The main reason is that the search terms for getting the artwork from the internet are based on the either the video file's file name or any metadata embedded within the video file. File names for video files can be quite random and that can produce erroneous results in getting artwork (bad matches). So, we ask the user to search to the movie or tv show artwork in the current version of Mezzmo. We'll look at automatic retrieval for a future version.

Mezzmo does automatically retrieve artwork from external metadata files such as XBMC (.nfo/.tbn), ThumbGen (.tgmd), series.xml, episode.xml, mymovies.xml, movie.xml and more, so you can bypass the manual searching if you wish.

Thanks for the reply would it be possible to explain how i could bypass the manual search with maybe an example or if there is a tutorial availible that would be great..

Also surly it would be better to let it search online and the few that come out incorrect can be manually sorted its much quicker than sorting them all!!! is there any way to request that this feature be added? maybe ou could have it on or off so users can decide to use it or not

Paul
08-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reply would it be possible to explain how i could bypass the manual search with maybe an example or if there is a tutorial availible that would be great..

Also surly it would be better to let it search online and the few that come out incorrect can be manually sorted its much quicker than sorting them all!!! is there any way to request that this feature be added? maybe ou could have it on or off so users can decide to use it or not

To use external metadata files, you will need to install a media browser/catalog tool such as XBMC, ThumbGen, mediabrowser, etc. that produces these external metadata files that Mezzmo can read when you add your video files into your Mezzmo library.

We are planning to have auto search for video files' movie/tvshow details (incl. artwork) and you will be able to turn it on/off.

sohail
08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
To use external metadata files, you will need to install a media browser/catalog tool such as XBMC, ThumbGen, mediabrowser, etc. that produces these external metadata files that Mezzmo can read when you add your video files into your Mezzmo library.

We are planning to have auto search for video files' movie/tvshow details (incl. artwork) and you will be able to turn it on/off.

thanks great news im sure i can wait for that... one last thing can i run mezzmo on my server but manage it from my PC? so have the server running but the front end on another pc controlling it?

Paul
08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
... one last thing can i run mezzmo on my server but manage it from my PC? so have the server running but the front end on another pc controlling it?

The Mezzmo application and Mezzmo server must be installed in the same folder on the same computer. You can use remote desktop connection to access your server and run the Mezzmo application when you need to. Many WHS users do this.