PDA

View Full Version : Some stuttering playing with Panasonic BDT220 from MKV not from VOB

mike99
08-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Hi,

I'm just finding out which Media-Server to buy for my new Panasonic BDT-220.

I have some DVD-Ripps (PAL, if this matters) for testing directly converted to MKV (no reencoding) und normally ripped to VOB.

The VOB-Files seems to play without problems. ( I write seems because there are some messages in the protocol-file concerning blocked sockets while playing VOBs).

During playback of the MKV-Files there is some stuttering (Video and Audio) every one or two minutes.

CPU-Load during both playbacks is very low so I would asume there is no transcoding?.

Used profile is Panasonic Blu-Ray, first tried Panasonic MKV but the player told me that the files are not playable.

Regards Michael

Paul
08-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Hi Michael,

The 'Panasonic BDP (MKV)' device profile will stream your MKV files directly to your Blu-ray player. If your Blu-ray player says they are not playable, then it suggests that your BDP model does not support MKV playback - in which case, you should choose another device profile that will automatically transcode them to a format that your BDP does support.

The 'Panasonic BDP' device profile will transcode your MKVs to MPEG-2 and as you have confirmed, your files do play. If your computer cannot transcode the files fast enough, then you may see a 'loading' message on your BDP from time-to-time or stuttering when playing. One thing to try is to pre-transcode the file to MPEG-2 and then try streaming it. It should not stutter any more. To do this, right-click on the MKV file in Mezzmo and click 'Pre-transcode File'. In the Pre-transcode Files dialog, choose your device and then click Choose Formats to select your desired format. Once transcoding is complete, then try to stream your MKV again. This time, the fully transcoded MPEG-2 will be streamed without any further transcoding and hopefully it will stream/play nicely.

To check if a file is transcoding when you stream it, click on Transcoding tab to view the Transcoding pane.

If you have VOB files as you original video files, then why not add them to your Mezzmo library and stream them directly to your Blu-ray player? Your Panasonic BDP supports playing MPEG-2 files so your VOB files should stream natively without any transcoding. There's probably no need to convert them to MKV. Give it a try and see how you go.

mike99
08-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Hi Paul,

thank Your for Your answer.

The Player supports MKV-Playback, but maybe its a little bit sensibel.

There is no need to transcode the MKV-File because it is already MPEG-2. I packed the original stream from the DVD into the MKV-Container.

I prefer MKV for that because I then have all informations in one file. Otherwise I would have to concatenate the VOB-Files.

What I did not understand is, why it stutters when playing MPEG-2 from MKV and why not when playing from VOB. Is there any reason?

I think there can not be any transcoding on my server, CPU-load is under 5 % on an I3.

Regards Michael

Paul
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi Michael,

We may see the reason for the stuttering if you send us a set of logs. Please turn on logging (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Stream the MKV file to your Panasonic BDP and when it starts to stutter, then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.