PDA

View Full Version : DownloadStudio And visual Basic in Microsoft Office 2007

vip_shadow
11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Hello,

I had a lot of problems with DownloadStudio and it took a whole week to find out how to solve them.
I post it here Just in case anybody or the support team is interested.
Hope it helps somebody else.

First of all, I should say I'm not here to tell it's a DownloadStudio bug (though it may be). I'm just explaining my experiments here, because there may be somebody else out there with the same problem. It may help him.

a little about my situation:
Download studio version: 5.1.5.1 trial
Microsoft Office 2007 without any updates.

I noticed that after installing DownloadStudio, Visual Basic in Microsoft Access 2007 database files showed strange error messages and stoped working.
I wasn't even able to modify the VB code of my databases. The main error messages occured on Set db = currentDb() which gave Unable to load DLL.

I tried using DownloadStudio on 5 PC and all PCs behaved the same, giving the same error messages on the same line. I even noticed that I'm not able to declare new variables in VB anymore. As soon as I typed Dim tr as the database closed.

To test the same situation, create a database in Microsoft Access 2007, Add a form to your database, Add a button to the form and add the following to onClick action of the button.
------------------------------------------------
Dim db as Database
dim rs as DAO.Recordset

set db=CurrentDb
msgbox "This is a test."
--------------------------------------------------

Save the form And close the database.
Now Launch the database and open the form and click the button.
You'll receive a message that the DLL can't be loaded and visual basic stops running.

After a whole week on imaging what can be wrong, I created a snapshot of windows registry and system files on C drive.
Later I installed DownloadStudio. After installing process and rebooting, I took another snapshot of registry and file system. There was several hundred deleted keys. I simply added the deleted keys to registry and everything was just fine.
Access 2007 is behaving as it's supposed to once again.

Peter
11-12-2009, 04:17 PM
DownloadStudio requires the Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime, this is installed at the same time as DownloadStudio, this appears to be where the problem lies, the visual studio runtime installer is installing different versions of dlls that MS Access requires.

vip_shadow
11-12-2009, 05:36 PM
DownloadStudio requires the Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime, this is installed at the same time as DownloadStudio, this appears to be where the problem lies, the visual studio runtime installer is installing different versions of dlls that MS Access requires.

Thanks for your feedback. I hope you don't care answering several questions.

Does DownloadStudio behave as it's supposed to now that I have imported all the deleted registry keys?
How can I use DownloadStudio while Microsoft Access 2007 is installed? Now that I have tested DownloadStudio, I don't want to go back to other download managers.
What's the correct way to make Microsoft Access 2007 run as it should, after installing DownloadStudio? I don't think importing several hundred deleted keys is the correct way.
Will this problem be solved in future versions(5.2)?

Million thanks

Peter
11-13-2009, 04:02 PM
It is difficult to know how DownloadStudio will function after making changes to the registry. Please keep us informed if you experience any problems using DownloadStudio, I would expect the most affected area would be saving of jobs and history (this is stored in an MS Access Database file). We are investigating how to restore Access to it's correct functionality after installing DownloadStudio, it appears to be related to msado15.dll, dao360.dll and accwiz.dll, these need to be re-registered to get Access working propertly.

vip_shadow
11-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Please keep us informed if you experience any problems using DownloadStudio

Sorry, but I can't help you. My trial version will expire two days from now, and I don't think I will purchase a license in this situation.
Up to now, I haven't tracked anything wrong with DownloadStudio. It works perfectly.

it appears to be related to msado15.dll, dao360.dll and accwiz.dll, these need to be re-registered to get Access working propertly.

The most strange part is that after installing DownloadStudio, Microsoft Access 2007 doesn't response even if you repair Office 2007, or reinstall it.

I reformatted myPC, Installed windows 7 and then DownloadStudio. Then I installed Microsoft Office 2007.
Even now that Access 2007 is installed fresh after DownloadStudio, it fails to run vb subroutines.

As my last request, it would be great if you or somebody in support team track down exactly which deleted keys should be added to registry to let Access 2007 works after installing DownloadStudio.
I added several hundred keys and am sure most of them are sitting there useless.

thank you.

Peter
11-16-2009, 08:00 AM
We will continue to investigate the problem and post here when we find a solution.

vip_shadow
11-16-2009, 09:28 AM
We will continue to investigate the problem and post here when we find a solution.

Million thanks

Peter
11-17-2009, 01:53 PM
The problem is in the dao360.dll file, the reference that MS Access uses is lost when the Visual Studio runtime is installed, I don't know why. The reference needs to be added to MS Access via the Visual Basic 'Tools' menu:

1. Get to the visual basic tools menu by creating a new database or opening an existing database, go to a form and in the 'design' tab there should be a 'view code' button, click 'view code' to open the Visual Basic editor.
2. Go to the 'tools' menu and choose 'references', click on the 'Browse' button and find the DAO360.dll library (it was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO for me)
3. Make sure the box next to 'Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library' is checked and click 'OK'

If you return to 'design' mode now everything should work correctly.

vip_shadow
11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
The problem is in the dao360.dll file, the reference that MS Access uses is lost when the Visual Studio runtime is installed, I don't know why. The reference needs to be added to MS Access via the Visual Basic 'Tools' menu:

1. Get to the visual basic tools menu by creating a new database or opening an existing database, go to a form and in the 'design' tab there should be a 'view code' button, click 'view code' to open the Visual Basic editor.
2. Go to the 'tools' menu and choose 'references', click on the 'Browse' button and find the DAO360.dll library (it was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO for me)
3. Make sure the box next to 'Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library' is checked and click 'OK'

If you return to 'design' mode now everything should work correctly.

I'm afraid to assure you it's not the case and you are on the wrong line.
I have several reasons for this:

The references of an Access database, effects the file.
I have an Access database on a shared folder on a server. All the PCs in our office use this database for their daily job. If there was something wrong with the references of this file, the whole PCs on the network that use this database should face the problem, not only my PC.

When I install DownloadStudio on my PC, I can't run this database as I explained above. But other PCs can use this database without any problem.
It shows that the database itself(and it's references) is OK.
The problem is something about my PC.

What you explained above (References in VB), depends on the file itself. If there was something wrong with the references of this file, other PCs in the network should face the same problem too.

Moreover, the references of an Access databse doesn't concern windows registry. I mean if you change the references, your PC's registry doesn't change.
But my problem is solved when I import the deleted registry keys. By importing several deleted keys, the references of databases on a PC doesn't change. I hope you know what I mean.

Anyhow, though I believed your solution won't help me out, I gave it a shot and tried it.
I re-installed windows, installed office 2007 and then DownloadStudio.
Then I followed your steps above and tried to add DAO 3.5 library (I have DAO 3.5 not 3.6), but I received the following error:
Name conflicts with existing module,project,or object library

Still my PC doesn't run the database, but other PCs are using this database without any problem.

I'll be watching this thread and am waiting for your next solution.

thank you.

PS:

I thought re-registering dao350.dll or dao360.dll may help/
By Re-registering dao360.dll nothing changed. Still the same error with Microsoft Access.
Trying re-registering dao350.dll returned the following error message during registering dll file:
The module "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO\dao350.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c.
For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term"

Peter
11-18-2009, 10:24 AM
I got the same error "Name conflicts with existing module,project,or object library" the first time I added the reference, when I did it a second time it worked successfully.

The references enabled for an Access database are specific to the file, as you state, but if a reference does not exist on a PC then the reference cannot be enabled and you get the problem "error in loading dll".

If the reference is not in the list, because the registry entry has been removed, then it cannot be enabled until it is added to the list.

I tried previously re-registering dao360.dll using regsvr32.exe but it didn't make a difference. The ACWZMAIN.ACCDE that operates the wizards depends upon dao360.dll to function but if it is not in the references list it cannot find it. After adding dao360.dll to the references list (twice, as the first time gets the error you mentioned) then the Access wizard works correctly.

vip_shadow
11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I got the same error "Name conflicts with existing module,project,or object library" the first time I added the reference, when I did it a second time it worked successfully.

no matter how many times I try, still the same error message. No improvement.

if a reference does not exist on a PC then the reference cannot be enabled and you get the problem "error in loading dll".

If a reference doesn't exist on a PC and an Access database is set to use it, it starts with a **MISSING** in references lists and the VB code doesn't run without any error message (At least in my case it is how it works).
Create a database on a PC with office 2007 installed, and add Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object library reference.
Now if you move this database to a PC with Office 2003 installed, you'll have a **MISSING**Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object library in your references list.
I haven't any reference starting with Missing in my list.

Anyhow, I tried more than 10 times to add dao reference, but it still shows the conflict error message. I believe it's because of the difference between DAO dlls of Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 and Microsoft Access.

Do you have any idea how I can un-register the DAO installed by Visual Basic 2005 and re-register DAO of Access 2007?

Many thanks.

Peter
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I could reproduce the error message, "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library", by checking the box next to Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library. This library is not compatible with "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library", so if you have them both enabled dao360.dll will not be successfully registered when you click 'OK'. If you try unchecking the box next to "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library", then browse and add dao360.dll, then click 'OK'. Open Tools->References again and re-check "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library" and uncheck Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library.

To confirm this fix I uninstalled DownloadStudio, then re-installed DownloadStudio and got the same error appearing "error in loading dll". I opened the Tools->References in Visual Basic and unchecked "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library", clicked 'Browse' and located dao360.dll, clicked 'Open' and then 'Ok' to close the references dialog. Then I re-opened references, unchecked Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library and re-checked "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library" and everything worked correctly.

vip_shadow
11-20-2009, 09:27 AM
To confirm this fix I uninstalled DownloadStudio, then re-installed DownloadStudio and got the same error appearing "error in loading dll". I opened the Tools->References in Visual Basic and unchecked "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library", clicked 'Browse' and located dao360.dll, clicked 'Open' and then 'Ok' to close the references dialog. Then I re-opened references, unchecked Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library and re-checked "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library" and everything worked correctly.

Sorry, but here the case seems to be different.
this is what I did:
I uninstalled Download Studio and Re-installed it again. I received the same error in loading dll
I unchecked Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library
Then I Browsed for DAO360 (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\) and Open and then OK.
After All I unchecked Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library and re-checked "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library"

Still the same "Error In Loading DLL" insists.

Peter
11-20-2009, 10:59 AM
I tried it a few more times by unregistering dao360.dll using regsvr32.dll and then adding the reference to Visual Basic and on one attempt it did fail to add the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library even after I Browsed for dao360.dll and clicked Open and OK. I got around this by leaving Microsoft DAO 3.6 checked and returning to the Access Design view and adding a button, then I returned to references and unchecked the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library reference. Could you please try this?

Also, is Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library appearing in your references list after you get the "Error in loading DLL"? If it is not there then the above procedure should work.

vip_shadow
11-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I tried it a few more times by unregistering dao360.dll using regsvr32.dll and then adding the reference to Visual Basic and on one attempt it did fail to add the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library even after I Browsed for dao360.dll and clicked Open and OK. I got around this by leaving Microsoft DAO 3.6 checked and returning to the Access Design view and adding a button, then I returned to references and unchecked the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library reference. Could you please try this?

Also, is Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library appearing in your references list after you get the "Error in loading DLL"? If it is not there then the above procedure should work.

I did what you asked.
I uninstalled Download Studio and Re-installed it again. I received the same error in loading dll
I unchecked Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library
Then I Browsed for DAO360 (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\) and Open and then OK.
I added a button to a form and then I unchecked Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library and re-checked "Microsoft Office 12.0 Access database engine Object Library"

Hurray..... Access 2007 is on the mood and works perfectly.

But too soon to be happy. Only this database works. the other databases doesn't work and show the same error message.
I have to change the references of each database one by one (and adding a button to a form) to make them working.
Too frustrating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found a better way to let Microsoft Access 2007 work as it should while I have DownloadStudio installed.

this is my steps:

I created a system restore point through control panel's System and security
Installed DownloadStudio.
Copied the whole DownloadStudio folder in Program Files and Start Menu to an external drive.
Restored my system to the point I had created in step 1.
copied back DownloadStudio's folder from external drive to Program Files and Start Menu folder.

At this point both Access and downloadStudio work perfectly.
The only problem that remains is DownloadStudio's extension in firefox doesn't respond.
To solve this problem, I installed FlashGot extension.
and in flashgot's options (General Tab) I clicked Add button, typed New DownloadStudio and browsed for the folder I copied back to Program Files above.

wooow, everything's fine. I'm able to use DownloadStudio from firefox and Access 2007 is perfect.

But ....... wait ....... the only thing remains is how to download videos?

I don't care about this remaining little problem. because:

I rarely download movies
If I need to download a movie, I run DownloadStudio's sniffer and ... you know the rest.

God knows how many hours I spent to be able to use DownloadStudio.

My last word if you're interested.
I don't believe the Error in loading dll error is because of installing Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 during installation of DownloadStudio.
I have been using other softwares that install Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 before and never access had shown this error on my system before.
I believe there should be something wrong with DownloadStudio's package that causes this problem.

if you want to try it do as what I did last night.
I installed microsoft Office 2007 on a clean system, and then installed Microsoft Visual Basic 2005.
All of my applications in Access 2007 run smoothly without showing a single error.

Peter
11-23-2009, 09:58 AM
After I have added the reference 'Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library' to the list in one database it remains in the list and each database I open works correctly. I don't have to add it for each database.

DownloadStudio's firefox extension relies on the registry entries created by the DownloadStudio installer, if these registry entries are removed by the system restore then the firefox extension cannot locate the DownloadStudio.exe.

YouTube and DailyMotion have changed their site slightly, so DownloadStudio cannot currently download videos by pasting the URL, this will be fixed in DownloadStudio 5.2.

The 'Error in loading' dll is caused by dao360.dll being unregistered, I can reproduce this behaviour by running "regsvr32.exe /u C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO\dao360.dll", the DownloadStudio InstallShield is unregistering this dll for some reason (we are investigating this).

To make it easier to repair the 'Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library' for all programs and databases, add the following to a text file and name it 'dao.reg':

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0]
@="Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0\0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0\0\win32]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\microsoft shared\\DAO\\dao360.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0\FLAGS]
@="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0\HELPDIR]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\microsoft shared\\DAO"

Save the text file and double click it to restore the dao360.dll registry settings.

vip_shadow
11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
To make it easier to repair the 'Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library' for all programs and databases, add the following to a text file and name it 'dao.reg':

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0\0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0\0\win32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0\FLAGS]
@="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0\HELPDIR]

Save the text file and double click it to restore the dao360.dll registry settings.

I'm out of my trial period and I couldn't test it myself. Anyhow, I could make a friend accept to download and test DownloadStudio.
the above method didn't work out. We are still receiving the Error in loading DLL error.

Peter
11-30-2009, 04:01 PM
If your friend runs regedit, are they able to see any of the registered keys? For example, is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\5.0" present in their registry after running the script?

vip_shadow
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/345/captureel.jpg

the error message occurs on Set dbs = currentDb() line

Peter
12-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Are you running 32bit or 64bit Windows? If you are running 64bit then the registry script should work as the path to dao360.dll is correct, if you are running 32bit then you will need to edit the script to remove the " (x86)" from the path:

REGEDIT4

@="0"

does dao360.dll exist in the same location on your computer as in the script?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO\dao360.dll
or is it
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO\dao360.dll

vip_shadow
12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm on a windows 7 32bit.
After latest changes in registry(your suggestion above) I'm still receiving the same "error in loading DLL" error.

for now, I used the system restore to be able using the database.
After restoring windows, Access is just fine.

Peter
12-02-2009, 03:04 PM
We have fixed the problem in our installer, so DownloadStudio version 5.2 and later will not cause this problem.

vip_shadow
12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I'll be waiting for the new version.
Just a little about my latest experiments:

As I explained above, none of your registry keys worked for me.
After importing them I was receiving the same error messages about loading the dll file.

Referring to registry keys of a PC before installing DownloadStudio, I modified your registry keys as following, and tested on 6 PCs. It was a success.
All 6 PCs are running my databases without any error and DownloadStudio is sitting there downloading my staffs as it's expected to. Here's the reg keys I imported:

REGEDIT4

"PrimaryInteropAssemblyName"="dao, Version=10.0.4504.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

@=hex(2):25,43,6f,6d,6d,6f,6e,50,72,6f,67,72,61,6d ,46,69,6c,65,73,25,5c,4d,69,63,72,6f,73,6f,66,74,2 0,53,68,61,72,65,64,5c,44,41,4f,5c,64,61,6f,33,36, 30,2e,64,6c,6c,00,

@="0"

@=hex(2):25,43,6f,6d,6d,6f,6e,50,72,6f,67,72,61,6d ,46,69,6c,65,73,25,5c,4d,69,63,72,6f,73,6f,66,74,2 0,53,68,61,72,65,64,5c,44,41,4f,5c,64,61,6f,33,36, 30,2e,64,6c,6c,00,

Your key was written to import 00025 E01 while I tried 00025E01(without space). There are also several other little changes.

Hope it helps.

vip_shadow
12-04-2009, 03:20 PM
It's very strange.
I've posted 00025E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046
but it's shown as 00025 E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046.(there's a space between 00025 and E01)

Maybe that was why your registry key added above didn't work for me.
I simply copied an pasted your keys.

Even if I click the Edit button to correct my post, there's no space between 00025 and E01.
But as soon as I post it, an space is added between 00025 and E01.

Now I've found a bug in vBulletin :)

kathyw
03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I had the same issue - where I was getting error message while trying to load dao360.dll. Once I unticked the Microsoft Office 12 reference for that database all worked well. I just had one user that was having issues - but as this database was all created using DAO rather than ADO changing references has allowed all to operate the database