PDA

View Full Version : Playlist Sharing Permissions based on MAC address?

starfire
08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Hi,

It looks like Playlist Sharing Permissions are based on IP addresses not MAC addresses?

This seems a bit strange because as we know internal IP addresses can change depending on what DHCP assigns them.

Media Devices are allowed to connect based on their MAC address not IP address for this reason - why has the Playlist Sharing Permissions been done in a different way?

Thanks.

JohnM
08-10-2012, 02:09 AM
You can tell almost all DHCP servers to assign particular IP address to a machine by MAC. That way your addressing remains consistent.

starfire
08-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Yes I know you can do that I'm just trying to understand why it was done that way when the Media Devices permissions is (more logically) MAC based.

mark11
08-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes I know you can do that I'm just trying to understand why it was done that way when the Media Devices permissions is (more logically) MAC based.

It is actually more logical to do it at the network layer not the data link layer. It does not give you your 'logical' setup. JohnM is correct when he suggests you admin your own network. You then ask a device (or software) to do what it is best at.

Paul
08-10-2012, 11:34 AM
starfire does raise a good point in that it is a little inconsistent. We do already have development plans to improve sharing permissions for playlists, folders & files, so I expect it will become more consistent & manageable in a future version. Many thanks for the feedback.

starfire
08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks Paul.