PDA

View Full Version : Resume playback - Google TV - the magic behind the feature

fletch
08-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Just curious. My older Samsung TV's apparently don't support resume unless playback is from an attached USB device. But, I noticed one day that the Sony Google TV box I have plays back videos starting where I left off - even if days have passed and things were rebooted on both ends.

Does Mezzmo store some metadata for each video that some boxes recognize that allow this feature? I want to make sure I don't do anything to adversely affect this feature in the future.

This one feature makes Mezzmo actually useful - as opposed to just being another novelty. I seldom watch a program in a single sitting so I make use of this all the time.

Sony should bundle Mezzmo with their unit!

Paul
08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi fletch,

In general, Mezzmo supports resume playback if the DLNA device requests to start playing the video at a certain point. Some devices store the resume point in session memory (so when you turn the device off, the resume point is most likely lost) and some devices may store them on disk so that the resume point is always remembered.

Samsung does have some proprietary (non-DLNA) resume features that Mezzmo does support & store in its database, so you should be able to to resume your videos using Mezzmo with many Samsung TV and BDP models. What Samsung TV models do you have?

fletch
08-29-2012, 11:59 AM
I guess the Sony Google TV must save it on disk - perhaps in memory - I've only rebooted once in the past year for a software update. Mezzmo has always been able to start off where I left off, so the two work together well. The other nice thing about the Google box is it plays just about anything I throw at it - no transcoding needed. Now that I think about it, I should look for another one on eBay to hook to the 2nd Samsung. The 2nd gen is out so the old one should be cheap.

Would be nice if the Samsung would support resume, but they're a few years old. They're also limited on what native formats can be played.

UN46B8000XF
LN52A850S1F

Paul
08-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Yes - Samsung TVs only seems to support resuming for their C, D & E series TVs - and not for your A and B series TVs.