PDA

View Full Version : login problem with no password

nik
08-28-2012, 12:38 AM
hi there
i'm trying the trial version before buying. my objective is to be able to view video files from my PC on my panasonic viera TV.
when asked for my windows password, i left the field blank (i don't use a password), but couldn't logon.
when i created a password for my windows account, i could logon.
but i don't want a password for my windows account.
any solutions?!
thanks
nik

Peter
08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi,
is there an error message displayed when you try to register the server with your blank password? If so, could you please post the error message here.

You can try changing the name of the Mezzmo media server in 'Media Server Settings' to force the service to be re-registered.

nik
08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
i removed my windows password, stopped the media server running, and then tried to get it running again. i left the password field blank when asked, and got the same message as before:
The Mezzmo media server could not be started.
More information: The service did not start due to a logon failure.
Check your username and password details.
Error code: 1069
I changed the name of the media server, but got the same error after leaving the password field blank.
When I created a password for my windows account, and entered it in the password field, the media server was able to start again.
Obviously, I hope there is a way of having no password, as I really don't need one on this machine.
Thanks!

Peter
08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
If you go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools and run 'Local Security Policy' then under 'Local Policies' you will find 'Security Options' and in here is a setting for 'Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only', if this setting is enabled you will not be able to use a blank password to run the Mezzmo media server.

nik
08-28-2012, 03:56 PM
unfortunately, it is already disabled... any other ideas?

Peter
08-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Can you please try changing your password to a blank password, then go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools and run 'Services' and find Mezzmo then right-click and go to properties. On the 'Log On' tab click in the 'Password' field and delete all the characters and do the same in the 'Confirm password' field, then click 'Apply' and you should be able to run the server with a blank password.

nik
08-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately not. And I rebooted the computer for good measure.
When I delete the dots from the logon tab in services, as soon as I hit apply they reappear.
However, the Mezzmo behaviour is slightly different - when I hit OK leaving the password field blank, i don't get any error messages. But when I click "Start media server" i get the error message i reported earlier.

Peter
08-29-2012, 08:46 AM
It is correct for the dots to reappear when you click apply, the dots are just a mask to obscure the password and have no real reflection of what is contained in the password field. After you have set the blank password in services, can you please try right-click on the Mezzmo service and try to start it, if you have a blank login password configured for the account in Windows and a blank password entered on the Mezzmo service logon tab then the service should start unless there is a local system or group policy preventing the use of blank passwords.