PDA

View Full Version : NSZ-GS7 - Newest Sony Google TV

fletch
09-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Just got one of these and it can't see Mezzmo. The older Sony Google TV set top box I have an all TV's work fine. Anyone used one of the newer Google boxes with Mezzmo yet?

I'm still running 2.5 because it's otherwise been solid.

fletch
09-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Huge mistake on my part making the ASSumption that the 2nd gen unit would at least be a step up. Guess Sony gets to eat this purchase cause I'm not waiting on them. Heck, my antiquated Samsung flat panel from 4 years ago supports DLNA.

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Google-TV-Devices-Race-to-the-Bottom--84664.aspx

"The NSZ-GS7, for instance, does not yet support DLNA. For those unfamiliar with DLNA, or Digital Living (Room) Networking Alliance, this is the consumer electronics industry's agreed-upon specification to stream content from one set-top box device to another. Content can reside on any DLNA-compliant device, including wireless routers, smart TVs, and even network attached storage (NAS) and is then accessible on the player of your choice."

Sony NSZ-GS7 DLNA not supported Google TV

Paul
09-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for alerting us all to this. It is surprising that Sony have 'dumbed' down the new model (no DLNA, 100Mbit ethernet, etc.) but I guess they are positioning it at the lower (Sony) price point. Perhaps the Vizio Co-Star is a better proposition? We don't have a specific device profile for it, but we are happy to create one.

fletch
09-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Just snagged one of the 1st gen models off eBay :cool:.

I think I know what happened. The DLNA in the 1st gen unit is probably part of the Blu-ray player or tied to it in a way that it couldn't just be dropped into the new unit. The 2nd gen unit has no disc player. I think even before this box they had stand alone Blu-ray players that supported DLNA. So that feature just came along for the ride when they added Google TV to the mix in the 1st gen unit.

Paul
09-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Well done. Glad you got it all sorted now :D