PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo .srt support?

GliMM
12-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Hi!

Is there any plan to include support for .srt (subtitle) files when streaming video to a device?
In my case a Samsung LED 40'' (UE40B7070) TV

Thanks,
/GliMM

xtremebrdr
12-30-2009, 07:30 AM
i believe their is going to be future support for it in upcoming releases. its on their list of things to do.

GliMM
12-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Great, thanks for the info.
/GliMM

Paul
12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes, that's correct - we plan on adding subtitles support to Mezzmo.

rty42
07-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I see the latest version is capable of sending subtitles to devices which understand it.
Is there any chance of sending subtitles hardcoded into the video stream so that devices that don't handle subtitle tracks could be used to watch videos with subtitles?
I thought of an option to enable this function which would send the subtitle if it has the same filename (but different extension) as the video file.

Paul
07-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Yes, that's being developed and tested right now and will be part of the next major Mezzmo update (in a few weeks).

rty42
07-09-2010, 05:14 PM
This is great news, it looks like I will be your customer soon :)

JJvH
12-29-2010, 04:49 AM
The same for me. Adding subtitles on the flight would make Mezzmo a very usable prod.

NavySEAL
12-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Dennis,

Please don't forget about people who use Mezzmo with a Samsung TV but don't transcode. If we have subtitle files embedded in a MKV container it would be great to: A. support it directly. B. allow Mezzmo to extract the subtitle file to a .srt file so that it can be used.

Right now we have to manually extract the embedded subtitle to a .srt file to use when going through USB on the device. I know you said you were working on a solution like the one I said above, but just didn't want you to forget about us little people. :)

Paul
01-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks for this, NavySEAL. We will make sure consider your real world subtitling scenarios.

Mr_Oizo
01-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Has this been fix in the newest update? I have a samsungUE55C8700.

Fox
01-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Just curious, But another common Subtitle format that I have been finding in MKV files are ASS/SSA files, While I have had success in taking these files and turning them into a .srt archive and had them work will the next version of Mezzmo be able to handle these types of subbing format as well.

(Generally what I find is the ASS and SSA file associations use custom fonts that are embedded into the MKV with the subtitle text)

Paul
01-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Has this been fix in the newest update? I have a samsungUE55C8700.

The current version of Mezzmo supports external subtitle files (.SRT or .SUB) and streams them to devices that can play external subtitle files via DLNA - including Samsung TVs, Panasonic Viera TVs, LG Blu-ray players, D-Link DSM-320 media player, D-Link DSM-750 media player, Brite-View media players and Zinwell media players. Make sure your subtitle file is the same name as your video file and in the same folder (e.g. c:\movies\inception.mkv, C:\movies\inception.srt)

Paul
01-02-2011, 08:44 AM
...will the next version of Mezzmo be able to handle these types of subbing format as well. (Generally what I find is the ASS and SSA file associations use custom fonts that are embedded into the MKV with the subtitle text)

We will make sure we investigate this subtitle format and include it if possible. Thanks for the information.

Fox
01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
We will make sure we investigate this subtitle format and include it if possible. Thanks for the information.

I was looking through the PS3 Media server (which really only works for a PS3) and It seems to handle both types of subbing formats and multiple languages inside of various file containers, Not sure if it is open source or not, but maybe you all could use it as an information source if it applies...

rty42
01-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Yes, that's being developed and tested right now and will be part of the next major Mezzmo update (in a few weeks).

Dennis, Paul,
is there any news on this "hardcoded subtitle" function?
I use Mezzmo and like it very much, but miss this feature bady :(

Paul
01-03-2011, 08:22 AM
The new subtitle engine in Mezzmo is midway in development and is looking good. We were hoping to finish & release it before end of 2010, but unfortunately we did not make it - this is due to the increased interest in Mezzmo (thank you!), the request for new DLNA device support and some important issues we had to fix in the current version of Mezzmo. Subtitling will continue to be our development focus starting in January and, as soon as it is ready, it will be released to all registered users. Sorry for the delay & thanks for your patience.

Fox
01-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Just something Else I was Noticing when converting srt files from MKV's, If the file contains specific font types for the sub titles, I.E. if you wanted to watch anime Subbtitled from japan, or something imported, Mezzmo currently will not transcode the file properly and it will fail the transcode and render a file unreadable to the device. are there plans for the next version of Mezzmo to be able to read and properly transcode truetype font files within the MKV container?

Paul
01-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Once the transcoding engine is fully implemented I'll have a better idea of the font support, but I believe that it should be possible to extract the font and use it.

Fox
01-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Excellent I can not wait to see what you guys come up with, I am literally waiting for the release on the edge of my seat.