PDA

View Full Version : Device recognition mess. Identification changes constantly



bgeneto
09-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Hi! I have a severe problem with Mezzmo in my network since version 2.5 (using the current latest version 2670 now). I'm using DHCP and the first time a device connects to Mezzmo it is recognized correctly. Then I made all the transcoding adjustments (like max resolution and quality or turn off transcoding for the device when appropriate). The server is restarted and I test my settings and everything works fine. When a new device connects for the first time, and I repeat this setup process (for each device in my home network: one wd TV live, pana GT30,Sony BDPlayer, pana BDT220, WMP, Android mobiles etc...). I think that The problem arises in the next day when one or another device receive another IP from the DHCP Server, in this case the device is incorrectly detected and its profile is changed. At the end of the day I've got three Sony BD players listed in Mezzmo media devices, no GT30, no pana BDT220, no Android devices. Everything is mess and transcoding does not work for almost no device. For me It's like I have checked (and I didn't!) "Use only IP addresses to identify devices". The solution is to delete every device and config them all again and dissalow new devices to connect or turn of transcoding completely! Any tips for what's going wrong in this case? There is a way to recognize devices only by its MAC address instead of a combination of IP and MAC that Mezzmo seems to use? BTW, My DHCP lease time is set to its maximum. TIA.

JohnM
09-07-2012, 07:47 AM
A better way is to have your dhcp server reserve an ip address for a particular mac address. Assuming that you do not wish to assign static addresses. Protip: You can have dhcp assign address to everything you use, then use those addresses to assign them as a static address to the device.

Paul
09-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Hi bgeneto,

From your description, it sounds like the MAC addresses for your devices are not being passed through to Mezzmo. This can happen when you are using a bridge on your home network and your bridge is not configured to forward the MAC addresses of devices attached to it. If you are using a bridge, then check your bridge settings to see if it has settings to allow MAC forwarding (or MAC bypass). Turn on MAC forwarding and this should fix your problem. Reboot your bridge and devices, and delete all devices from the Media Devices dialog in Mezzmo after making any bridge setting changes. If your bridge does not have MAC forwarding, then you should turn on the "Use only IP addresses to identify devices" checkbox and assign static IP addresses to your devices so you can get reliable device detection.

If you are not using a bridge, then we would like to see a set of Mezzmo logs to determine what may be going wrong. Please turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Repeat the steps you mention to produce the problem (i.e. getting 3 Sony BDP listed) and when this occurs, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

bgeneto
09-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Hi bgeneto,

From your description, it sounds like the MAC addresses for your devices are not being passed through to Mezzmo. This can happen when you are using a bridge on your home network and your bridge is not configured to forward the MAC addresses of devices attached to it.

Hi Paul!

Thanks for your promptly reply. And I think you guess it right. It was not my intention, but I forgot to mention that this identification error happens with devices behind a powerline (TP-Link PA211, supposedly working as a bridge, as you pointed) and a network switch. I would like to mention that,overall, I'm very satisfied with Mezzmo. But, as many other users, I'm waiting for :

-Intel QuickSync (or even CUDA) transcoding support in order to avoid near 100% Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU usage;
-burn in subtitles support.

Thanks and keep going...

Paul
09-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Hi bgeneto,

Thanks for confirming the bridge is the cause of the problem. As mentioned in my previous post, you can successfully use Mezzmo and your devices with a bridge on your home network - just turn on MAC forwarding in your bridge settings or, if it does not have this setting, then tick the "Use only IP addresses to identify devices" checkbox in Media Devices dialog and assign static IP addresses to your devices so you can get reliable device detection.