PDA

View Full Version : Copying content from one domain to another

davidc
01-12-2010, 03:08 AM
Hi,

I manage a website and we are moving to a new internet service provider. I wish to move all existing web pages from the old ISP to the new ISP.

So are I have managed to download the website to my laptop using DownloadStudio, and all links appear to work when the pages are viewed on my laptop. Is it possible to upload the pages to our new website and still have the links work, even though the domain name is different?

Thanks
DC

Brent
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Hi DC,

What DownloadStudio is designed to do when downloading a full website is to make the site viewable on your local disk. Links within the website are altered to make this possible. This means if you then upload the site, without any changes, the links will no longer work. There is also a couple of options for site file jobs to save the files in the same folder structure as the server and to not change the links to work locally. These are located under File Save Settings, in the Download Settings for a site job.

If you have the login details for the server where the website is located, the best way to relocate the web site from one server to another is to use a FTP program. Download the complete site using your FTP program and then login to the new server to upload the new site via FTP. If the source code has any hard-coded links to the old domain name these will need to be manually changed using a editor before you upload to the new server. If the source code uses relative paths for its links then it may just work without any changes.