PDA

View Full Version : All media type folders showing up for every media type on my Bravia

boldtbanan
03-01-2010, 03:14 AM
I have a Bravia KDL-40W5100 that I finally got hooked up for video streaming using Mezzmo (I tried about 10 other servers, and Mezzmo was the only one that was able to stream video so far, including Twonky and PS3 Media Server, so good job on that!).

The media menu on my Bravia separates media types into Audio, Video and Pictures already, but when I navigate to my Mezzmo server under that area, I still see all three media types under the Mezzmo server. Basically, in order to play a video, I have to navigate to Video -> Mezzmo Server -> Video -> All Videos -> Video file. Why are the non-applicable media folders visibly to my Bravia? Is there some way to filter them out, or set the root folder for specific media types? I know it must be possible because most other media servers behave in this way, so I figure I'm just missing something.

Paul
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Hello,

Actually the TV doesn't really tell us what you are browsing at the moment, so we cannot filter out contents by type. Can you please tell me which server you tried that did have this functionality and I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Dennis

JamboUK
06-10-2010, 07:37 AM
This would be on my wish list too if it was possible. Just for neatness and simplicity. But I am thinking maybe a down to the TV? Mine is a Sony Bravia too.

Keep us informed. Thank you.

Paul
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
It is really down to hardware - if the device doesn't tell us what it wants (and most devices don't), we have to deliver everything and let the device sort out the entries on its own. It's a bit unfortunate and we're always looking for ways to improve this, but I think all DLNA servers are in the same boat here.

psiho
06-12-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure but I belive Wild Media Server was able to do this. Unfortunatelly it's trial expired so i cannot confirm anymore. Actually, that's why I'm testing Mezzmo as WMF's licensing models is very bad.

Paul
06-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the hint - I'll investigate it and if that's the case, then we can make Mezzmo do the same of course.

JamboUK
06-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the hint - I'll investigate it and if that's the case, then we can make Mezzmo do the same of course.

If this can be done it will be a major plus point for me. :)

Paul
06-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I understand, but no promises at this point as to whether this can be done or not ;)

JohnLayne
07-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Confirming I have the same issue, I have Mezzmo and Twonky Server installed for testing. Twonky manages the sub menus correctly, I also like Twonky's web based access to the server, as I have it installed on a headless Windows Home Server. However Twonky's transcoding of videos doesn't work, Mezzmo's transcoding works ok (the Sony Bravia is on wireless and there are some delays and lockups).

When creating slideshows with music using the Sony Bravia's inbuilt slideshow function the music playback can cause errors using Mezzmo, works fine with Twonky.

So far I'm leaning towards Mezzmo, despite the menu glitch, purely because the video playback works.

Note
Windows Home Server (2003 based version) with all patched and updates applied.
Sony Bravia KDL40EX600 with latest firmware applied

Paul
07-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for letting us know about the slideshows - we'll try it here to see if it can be reproduced.

Mezzmo is very flexible in the way it allows you to organize your files and that's one of the main reasons (on our side) why it's really hard to only present to the device the type of files you're browsing. You're not locked into having files of a certain type in certain folders, so you can mix them together. You can also completely rearrange the whole root tree to your liking.

JohnLayne
08-01-2010, 12:04 PM
During the Twonky install it asks whether you want to have more than one media type in a folder. I'd prefer to only have Music in the Music folder etc. When using Mezzmo under the Sony menus, if you select a photo under the Sony Music folder it won't let you display the photo, you have to be under the Sony Photo menu and the Mezzmo Photo folder to view them. Having non relevant folders with media that you can't view is little confusing.

It's not enough to stop me using Mezzmo, although I must admit if Twonky sorted out their ability to transcode Video, I would switch. Twonky's relevant menus, under the Sony Bravia, and the web interface for a headless Windows home server would clinch the deal.

One other glitch the Mezzmo server under windows home server is occasionally stopping, causing an application error under the event viewer. Event ID 1000 "Faulting application MezzmosServer.exe version 2.1.8.0 faulting module.fault address 0x000005b41". It's happened a couple of times. I'll un-install Twonky to see if that is causing the glitch. Restarting Mezzmo solves the problem, but it's a pain having to log onto the WHS to restart it.

Paul
08-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the crash report! Do you have an option to create a dump file? If you do, can you please create one and send it to support (at) conceiva (dot) com?

RMatic
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
(Hoping to revive this thread!)

Just paid up for Mezzmo (v2.1.12) after a 10-day trial and I must give a shout-out to the s/w. It does (almost) everything I want and streams flawlessly from my headless Windows Home Server box to my Sony Bravia NX series TV!

One reason I'm posting on this thread is, as JohnLayne and others before posted, Mezzmo displays all the active media repositories (Music, Photos, Video) even when browsing under specific media types on the TV (say: Music). Maybe this is a quirk of Sony's DLNA implementation, but if I select Music on the main XMB TV menu, it will not let me play any Video or for that matter view any of my photos - it only expects to play music (in this case .mp3 files). Therefore, showing all the media repositories (at least on the Sony) is a waste of time.

Dennis posted above that the client does not inform the TV as to what "type" it is browsing. But I tried this with Windows Media player (version 11 and above) and WMP is able to filter out the other media folders. For instance, if I select 'Music' on the XMB menu, WMP will directly show me the playlists (Artists, Album, All Music Files etc...) under my Music repository. I even tried Twonky and it too manages to do this. Somehow, they are able to obtain information from the client (TV) as to what type of media is being requested.

Hopefully, you can reproduce this on your setup with Windows Media player and a Sony DLNA client.

(I have some other features I'd like to see added - but, I'll post that on the appropriate forum threads)

Paul
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Yes, we'll look into this a bit deeper and see how others are doing it.