PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo v2.7.1 transcoding faster??

Rockydog1947
09-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Just upgraded to v2.7.1 and decided to pre-transcode Battleship for my Sony Bluray player. Well, it transcoded at over 900 fps with barely any cpu usage. Thinking something was wrong, tried another file and it processed at over 5000 fps (difference in video quality, I would assume). Now before this update I would be lucky to get 30 fps with 100% processor load.

Now, I haven't had a chance to stream these videos yet, but something doesn't seem right. Prior to this update I was disappointed in Mezzmo but now I am deliriously happy.

Am I being too optimistic? If someone could advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

JohnM
09-28-2012, 02:30 AM
What you are seeing is Mezzmo putting the video into a new container. Basically a video file is a container that holds one or more video stream and one or more audio streams. The type of file (or container) is the first thing a player looks at. It is what causes most files to be rejected as unplayable. That is usually just that the player doesn't know where to look for the stream in the file. So Mezzmo will take an unplayable file like an mp4/h264 file, take the video and audio out and put it into a different file type (like mkv) that the device understands. That is very fast and easy to do which is why it seemed so fast for you. Transcoding is a lot more difficult because it needs to change one or more of the streams. It may need to convert the video from mp4 to mp2 or the audio from dts to ac3. Those types of changes take a lot longer to make and eat up your cpu.

Rockydog1947
09-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Thanks for your reply, John.

Since almost all my files are mkv H.264/avc/mpeg-4 they aren't really being pre-transcoded, they are just moved to a different container (pre-transcode format for my sony bd player mpegts/h264/ac3).

Prior to this update it would take a lonnnng time to pre-transcode a file. Was there an option for this procedure or is it actually new in the new update??

I'm playing that movie now and everything seems perfect.

Thanks, Ken

Rockydog1947
09-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Well, spoke too soon. After a few minutes into the movie it started stuttering every other second. Tried a movie that was transcoded prior to the update and it froze after a few minutes into the movie, so I zipped up the log files and send to support.

Paul
09-28-2012, 09:24 AM
We are always making improvements to the device profiles that ship with Mezzmo. The device profiles describe the formats that are streamed to your device. As John says, where possible Mezzmo will try to copy (or remux) the video and audio channels contained inside a video file, so it is very fast. We'll check out your logs and get back to you shortly.