PDA

View Full Version : how do i find out why a download has failed?

rulethecube
02-29-2008, 08:26 AM
i am trying to download a file but the job is failing as soon as i try to start it. how do I find out why the job has failed?

Brent
02-29-2008, 10:55 AM
To get more information about why a download job has failed go to the Job Conversation View and view the full conversation between DownloadStudio and the web server. It may give you a good idea as to why the download is failing.

There are many reasons why a job could fail. For possible reasons take a look at our downloading FAQ's. http://www.conceiva.com/products/downloadstudio/faqs.asp#Downloading

Here are a few of the most common reasons:

* Check your internet connection is active.
* Insufficient disk space for the job you are downloading
* If you have a firewall on your computer, check that DownloadStudio has permission to access the internet through your firewall. See your firewall's settings to do this.
* Check that the URL that you entered in the download job is correct. Click the "Check URL" button in the Add Job dialog or Download Wizard and check the response. Try creating a Single File download job and then download again. If it fails, go to the Job Conversation View and view the full conversation between DownloadStudio and the web server. It may give you a good idea as to why the download is failing.
* If you need to log into the web site, make sure you have entered your user name and password into the download job. Or, if the web site uses cookies for authentication (rather than HTTP/FTP standard authentication), then start Internet Explorer and log into the site. Keep Internet Explorer running. Go to DownloadStudio and try downloading again.
* The web site may not allow multiple download splits/segments for a file. Try choosing one split for the download job in the Advanced Settings.
* The web site may not allow multiple connections from one computer. Try reducing the number of connections used by DownloadStudio in the Job Queue View to 1.
* The web site may check that a valid referrer is being used. Go to the Advanced Settings dialog for the download job and enter a referrer URL. Typically, the referer URL is the web page that the download link is listed on.
* The web site may be busy or congested so your download may be timing out. Try increasing the connection timeout and receive timeout setting for the download job. Go to the Advanced Settings for the download job to increase these values.
* The web site you are trying to download from may not be active. Try again later, or schedule your download for a less busy time.

rulethecube
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
thanks, reduced the number of splits for the job and it works.