PDA

View Full Version : mkv and Sony BDPS-580

ronrosenfeld
10-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Installed Mezzmo because it looked like it should stream mkv from my W7 computer via my network to my Sony BDPS-580. BUT, the MKV files are showing up on the Sony DVD as MPEG; AND they are only 2-channel audio and not 5.1.

Here are what I think are the pertinent facts as to why this should work:

BDPS-580 supports MKV both natively and over DLNA

I do have transcoding turned off in Mezzmo
Playback of the same file is good, with 5.1 audio, if file is on a USB drive plugged into the USB port on the 580
Another 580, on another system, can recognize and play the same MKV files with 5.1 audio using a DLNA server in an NAS

The only difference I can see, besides the server (Mezzmo vs the server in the NAS), is that my connection via the Mezzmo system is "G" wireless; whereas the connections speed with the NAS system is "N" wireless. But I would have thought that speed difference, if it was significant, would only result in pauses, and not a downgrade of the audio nor a change in the file type when viewed via the BDPS-580.

Advice/help appreciated.

=============================
Found part of the problem -- user error. It seems some of the mkv files were not encoded with 5.1. The one's that were encoded with 5.1 play back without a problem.

However, the files still show up as MPEG and not as MKV on the list seen on the screen. But that is a very, very, minor glitch.

Paul
10-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Hi Ron,

Sony BDP players are quite strange in their DLNA firmware implementation. Mezzmo is delivering your MKV to your Sony BDP player, but it tells it the type of file is MPEG-2 so that your Sony BDP will play the file. Many Sony BDP models will not accept & play MKV files otherwise. Since you have transcoding turned off, then Mezzmo is delivering the MKV file without any changes so you can be assured that your original MKV is being delivered and played by your Sony BDP.

ronrosenfeld
10-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi Ron,

Sony BDP players are quite strange in their DLNA firmware implementation. Mezzmo is delivering your MKV to your Sony BDP player, but it tells it the type of file is MPEG-2 so that your Sony BDP will play the file. Many Sony BDP models will not accept & play MKV files otherwise. Since you have transcoding turned off, then Mezzmo is delivering the MKV file without any changes so you can be assured that your original MKV is being delivered and played by your Sony BDP.

Paul,
Thank you for your response. It does appear to be just a cosmetic problem. However, the same Sony BDPS-580 model at a different location, using a different DLNA server (whatever is supplied with my Synology NAS), does, indeed, show the file as an MKV file. So I don't think that, at least with the BDPS-580, that there would be any issue with properly labeling the file type, unless there is some other issue of which I am not aware, having to do with running in a W7 environment.

Oh well, it's just cosmetic and it works fine as is. Now if I can just figure out why my Universal Remote won't reliably trigger the fast forward/reverse, I'll be much happier. I need to recheck URC's database and see if they have the 580 in there yet, instead of using the "learned" buttons.
-- Ron