PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to translate DownloadStudio?

Brent
05-17-2010, 07:36 AM
We welcome people to offer translations for all our products including DownloadStudio. Below is all the information you need to translate the software.

1. Install DownloadStudio

First step is to install the latest version of DownloadStudio onto your computer.

2. Make a copy of the language files

To translate to a new language, you should make a new copy of the language files. They can be found in the following folder:

C:\Programs Files\Conceiva\DownloadStudio\languages

The language files you need to translate are the following:

ds_en.txt - Main DownloadStudio program text
av_en.txt - DownloadStudio AV capture program text
sn_en.txt - DownloadStudio Sniffer program text
fx_en.txt - Firefox integration text
ie_en.txt - Internet Explorer integration text
ie2_en.txt - More Internet Explorer integration text
au_en.txt - Autoupdate text

Make a copy of all of these files and rename them, adding a two letter suffix for your language. For example if you are translating to Spanish, you should rename all the above files with a *_es.txt suffix, i.e. ds_es.txt.

3. Edit the headers of the new files:

Each language file (except for fx_en.txt) has a header that needs to be edited.

Here is an example of the header section:

// Conceiva String Definitions file
// VERSION : 2.0
// Language : English
// Copyright (c) 2010 Conceiva
//
// NOTE: This File must be unicode encoded
//

ID_STRING_TABLE_VERSION=2.0.0
ID_STRING_TABLE_LANGUAGE=English
ID_STRING_TABLE_AUTHOR=Conceiva Pty. Ltd.
ID_STRING_TABLE_LANGID=9
ID_STRING_TABLE_SUBLANGID=0

You should change this to match the language you are translating to. For example, if you are translating to Spanish (Espaņol):

ID_STRING_TABLE_VERSION=2.0.0
ID_STRING_TABLE_LANGUAGE=Espaņol
ID_STRING_TABLE_AUTHOR=<Your name here>
ID_STRING_TABLE_LANGID=10
ID_STRING_TABLE_SUBLANGID=0

You can email our support team to find out the language ID for the language you are translating, or you can find it out by visiting this site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318693(VS.85).aspx

4. Run DownloadStudio to see your language menu item appear

After copying the new language files, re-start DownloadStudio and click the View -> Languages menu item to select your (newly created) language - e.g. Espaņol. You will
see English text. Don't worry - as you translate the TXT files you will see your translations appear.

5. Notes about translating the language files

(a) Start with the ds_xx.txt file, since you will see the translations in this file when running DownloadStudio.
(b) You should edit the TXT files with Notepad, or a text editor that can save Unicode Text. If you save the TXT files as ANSI, your language file will not be read in DownloadStudio.
(c) Inside the TXT files, all text to be translated follows the same format:

IDXXXXX=<text to be translated>

Examples:

IDOK=OK

(In this case, just translate "OK")

IDC_DEFAULT=&Default Settings

(In this case, just translate "&Default Settings")

(d) there are special characters in <text to be translated> that you should not touch (i.e. do not translate). These are:

- & (this puts a underscore under the next character)
- ... (this tells users a dialog will be displayed when clicking this button/menu item)
- / (this is just a separator/delimiter)
- : (this is just a separator/delimiter)
- > (this tells users a popup will be displayed or dialog will be expanded)
- \n (this adds a carriage return to the text)
- \t (this adds a tab to the text)
- *. (this is used for file extensions)
- %s (this is where a string will be added when running DownloadStudio)
- %d (this is where an integer will be added when running DownloadStudio)
- %.0f (this is where a floating point number will be added when running DownloadStudio)
- [ (this is just a separator/delimiter)
- ] (this is just a separator/delimiter)

(e) do *not* use the [Enter] key in the text you are translating. i.e. IDXXXXX=<text to be translated> should be on one line.

(f) Try to keep the translated text a similar length to the English text. Shorter is perfectly fine. Longer can be a problem, as the text may not fit on a button or in a dialog. A few characters longer is generally fine.

e.g.

IDOK=OK (Original English text)
IDOK=ConfirmToSaveNow (Your translated text. Bad! Too long and will not fit in the button)

(g). IMPORTANT! Please use the following web site to find terms in your language:

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en/us/search.mspx

This web site is very useful. Microsoft has listed all their recommended terms and you can find the same term in your language. Do not make up terms - use the recommended terms!
They are Microsoft recommendations for often used terms used in Windows programs.

Another useful resource is:

http://translationproject.org/latest/libexif

This web site has translations for many of the image, digital camera and EXIF terms listed in the DownloadStudio TXT files.

6. Checking your translations

You can see your changes as you translate. Just save your TXT file as you go. Close DownloadStudio and start it again. The TXT file is read upon start-up and the translations will magically appear.

7. Be careful

Save your TXT file as you go! Make backups! Just in case!

8. Contact us

Contact us at the Conceiva support desk for help or more information about translations.

You should also contact us to submit your translations to be included in the next version of DownloadStudio.

Good Luck!

Brent
05-17-2010, 07:58 AM
A big thank-you to WYLEK, for translating DownloadStudio into Russian and Ukrainian.

I am sure many users will appreciate the translations, which will be added into the next update for DownloadStudio.

WYLEK
10-13-2010, 04:27 AM
# New: French language support.
# New: Czech language support.

I was right! Well done guys, two languages are added!

abacrotto
01-28-2011, 10:00 AM
I am interested in making the translation to spanish. However, how do I know that are no others doing the same thing I am ? Is there a way to synchronize our efforts ?
Thanks in advance. Abacrotto.

Brent
01-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Thank you for your interest in translating DownloadStudio into Spanish.

There are no other DownloadStudio users currently translating the software to Spanish, as far as I know. You are welcome to start translating any of the language files.

If there are other Spanish users who would like to assist, please post here, or contact Conceiva support and we will help synchronize a DownloadStudio Spanish translation effort.

abacrotto
01-29-2011, 12:58 AM
I have a problem. I have translated 10-15% of the textfile. However, when I reload the program, everything is wrong. I am using UltraEdit for the translation of the strings. I think I have followed all the rules you described up here. What should I do in order to get my translation working again ? Can I send you my translation file for you to watch it and tell me what did I do in the wrong way ? Thanks again. Abacrotto.

Brent
01-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes, we can take a look at it and tell you why it is not working.

Please send it through email to support [at] conceiva.com.

One thing to check is that the file format is being saved as 'unicode encoded' in Ultraedit (not ANSI or UTF8)

abacrotto
03-26-2011, 01:45 AM
Hello, boys!!! I am here again. I have translated to spanish the GUI for Download Studio and I would like you to try it, if you want.
I have a question: from version to version you will add some new strings, right ? How do we know (the translators) which string we have to translate in that case ?
Do you put the new strings in the end of the file ? Do you follow some procedure ?

Thanks in advance.
I hope my translation will help.
Regards.
Ariel.

Brent
03-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi Ariel,

Thank you for the translation! We will add it to the next update. Until then any Spanish users can drop the language file Ariel attached into the 'Language' folder under the DownloadStudio installation folder, then go to the 'View' menu in DownloadStudio and select Espanol from the language menu.

In answer to your question about updates and new translation strings for DownloadStudio, the strings needing to be translated will always be located at the bottom of the string tables (ds_es.txt).

If there are new strings we will put a comment block similar to:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// DS 6.0.3
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Then following this comment block will be all new strings, along with any existing strings that have changed.

If any users want to translate the other Spanish lanaguage files used in DownloadStudio, please contact Conceiva support. (The files left to translate are ie_es.txt, ie2_es.txt, av_es.txt, sn_es.txt and fx_es.txt)

Once again, thank you Ariel for your contribution of Spanish translation of the main DownloadStudio string file.

Brent
10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
With the release of DownloadStudio 7.0, there were some new strings added. These new strings have been translated using an automated translation service.

All new strings are at the bottom of the ds_xx.txt string files, contained in a section starting with the header:

// DS 7.0.0

If anyone is able to provide more accurate translations of these strings, please email them to Conceiva support, or post the updated files on this forum.

For those in the DownloadStudio community able to help, and those who have previously submitted translations, thank you for your contribution.

WYLEK
11-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Hi.

Sorry for the long delay. Sent language files in the mail.

Brent
11-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the updated language files! Much appreciated by the DownloadStudio community.

We will include them in the next update.