PDA

View Full Version : WDTV Live ( More Options )

Dion
06-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Recently discovered this product worked with WDTV Live ( Been using Wild Media Server )

I thought I'd share some features that WMS does right to help you improve your WDTV Live support

WDTV live has the ability to show thumbnails which currently works for Mezzmo too. But WMS lets you apply Thumbs to navigation folders as well. I would like to see Mezzmo have the ability to add Thumbnails to the playlist files too.

Another thing you should consider is a thumbs directory that will auto apply a thumbnail with a media file when the video and picture share the same name

Example
Avatar.avi and Avatar.jpg. The jpg would auto load into Avatar.avi so we wouldnt have to do it manually for every media file.

Hope these can be added.

Paul
06-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Thank you for these suggestions.

We're planning on adding picture thumbnails for video files with the same filename soon - maybe with the next update.

Displaying thumbnails for folders is a good idea too - would you set those thumbnails from within Mezzmo or would they be just located in a folder and have a special name?

Dion
06-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank you for these suggestions.

We're planning on adding picture thumbnails for video files with the same filename soon - maybe with the next update.

Displaying thumbnails for folders is a good idea too - would you set those thumbnails from within Mezzmo or would they be just located in a folder and have a special name?

Well the WDTV Live by default loads "folder.jpg" to the folder in network share. The media server software has to be able to support this feature for it to work over media share. But since Mezzmo uses PlayList the best option imo would just be to manually input the thumbnail for the playlist.

Paul
06-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Well the WDTV Live by default loads "folder.jpg" to the folder in network share. The media server software has to be able to support this feature for it to work over media share. But since Mezzmo uses PlayList the best option imo would just be to manually input the thumbnail for the playlist.
Yes, I think so too. Thanks for bringing this up.

Dion
06-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Well I hope they're added. Will have a sale from me. Thanks for the replies Dennis.

RMerlin
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Having recently replaced my PS3 by a WDTV Live (I love that custom firmware too!), I would certainly second that idea :)

Also, I saw that a different UPNP server was able to determine what type of media the WDTV Live was requesting (video, audio or photo), and it would automatically show only the appropriate top folders, while Mezzmo shows you all three types before actually showing you the appropriate playlists. I guess that means the WDTV Live has the ability to specify the content type in its request - any chance Mezzmo could use that information? It would be one less folder level to navigate through.

Paul
06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Having recently replaced my PS3 by a WDTV Live (I love that custom firmware too!), I would certainly second that idea :)

Also, I saw that a different UPNP server was able to determine what type of media the WDTV Live was requesting (video, audio or photo), and it would automatically show only the appropriate top folders, while Mezzmo shows you all three types before actually showing you the appropriate playlists. I guess that means the WDTV Live has the ability to specify the content type in its request - any chance Mezzmo could use that information? It would be one less folder level to navigate through.
Interesting, I haven't seen any requests coming from the WDTV Live to specify the type of files it wants, but if another server can do that, so can we of course :) Can you please let me know what that other server is? Thanks!

RMerlin
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I'll send you the info as well as a logfile through Email.

Dion
06-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Interesting, I haven't seen any requests coming from the WDTV Live to specify the type of files it wants, but if another server can do that, so can we of course :) Can you please let me know what that other server is? Thanks!

I Think what hes saying is. If you go to Video under the WDTVLive.. it will show all network files in the video section. including mp3's and jpg's etc

I think he wants the server to have the ability to filter out photos under the video section and so on.

Paul
06-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I Think what hes saying is. If you go to Video under the WDTVLive.. it will show all network files in the video section. including mp3's and jpg's etc

I think he wants the server to have the ability to filter out photos under the video section and so on.
Yes, but to do that the device (WD TV Live in this case) needs to tell me that you're in Video folder - and most devices don't do that. As a server, we don't know where you are.

RMerlin
06-29-2010, 10:55 AM

No, what I meant is that when you are in the Video section (on the main crossbar menu) and you enter "that other DLNA server", rather than asking you once again to chose between Audio/Video/Photos, it immediately show you the appropriate playlists (in this case, all video playlists). Basically, it simply means you have one less click to do to actually access the Video folder.

Same thing when you start with from "Audio" in the crossbar - immediately after you enter "that other DLNA server", you are shown all audio-related playlists.

Dion
08-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Ah was hoping 2.1.9.0 would add pictures to playlist. Nice fixes for WDTV tho. That media library to big bug was bugging me.

I hope these get added next.. Really like this software.

Paul
08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Dion,

We'll continue to improve Mezzmo and how it works with devices, so your wish list is still on our "todo" list :)

Dion
09-24-2010, 05:30 PM
New: Support for "[filename].png", "[filename].jpg", "folder.png" and "folder.jpg" for cover art/thumbnails for music and video files.

Good to see this added. But how do you make it work?

Paul
09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
1. [filename].jpg / [filename].png

If you have a video file like:

Inception.mkv

Then you just need to have an image (JPEG or PNG) in the same folder with the same name, like this:

Inception.jpg

If you add this video to your Mezzmo library, then the JPG will be used as the artwork for the video. This lets you have nice DVD artwork for your videos or CD album artwork for your music. If the video/music is already in your library, then use 'Maintain Library' to update all the properties of the media files and Mezzmo will grab the JPG as the artwork.

The above applies to both video and music files.

2. folder.jpg / folder.png

If you have a file called 'folder.jpg' or 'folder.png' in a folder on your harddisk that also has audio or video files, then this image file will be used for the artwork for the files in that folder by Mezzmo. It is a really easy way to put artwork for an entire album of music. The artwork will be grabbed by Mezzmo when you add the folder of music/video files or when you use 'Maintain Library' to update all aspects of your media. For example, a folder of music may look like:

LadyGaga-Track1.mp3

LadyGaga-Track2.mp3

LadyGaga-Track3.mp3

LadyGaga-Track4.mp3

folder.jpg

The above applies to both video and music files.

3. [filename].xml / mymovies.xml

If you are not familiar with 'mymovies.xml', I suggest you search the web for a detailed explanation. Briefly, it is an XML fie that contains title, genre, actors, directors, cover art, etc. for a movie or TV show. If you have one with the same name as your video file, then Mezzmo will read it and put all this nice information into your Mezzmo library. It really can help organize your movies. For example, a matching video and XML file would look like:

Inception.mkv

Inception.xml

The above applies to video files only.

Dion
09-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Wow great explanation. Worked Perfectly.

Dion
11-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Just bumping to let you guys know a new Firmware came out for WDTV Live

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live

ISO support with Menu's is in. ISO for Mezzmo might be a plus :)

All info can be found there. Cheers. :)

Paul
11-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks - we'll check it out!

kitsunegari
11-18-2010, 02:01 AM
ISO support would be great - I have my Maiden and Megadeth dvds ripped to ISO so that I can play them across network, and since I've started using Mezzmo obviously it's not supported (as yet!).

Paul
07-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.4 has been released and it now navigates directly to your video playlists and folders when you select Videos on your WD TV Live/Plus/Hub). Same for Music and Photos.

Dion
07-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.4 has been released and it now navigates directly to your video playlists and folders when you select Videos on your WD TV Live/Plus/Hub). Same for Music and Photos.

Does not seem to work for me Paul. And it broke my playlist. Restoring old profile fixed it. Maybe we can trouble shoot this.

YankeeFan
07-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Does not seem to work for me Paul. And it broke my playlist. Restoring old profile fixed it. Maybe we can trouble shoot this.

How do u restore an old profile? I'm having all kinds of playlist issues with my WD TV Live Plus since I moved to 2.6.4. I'm considering uninstalling and re-installing 2.6.3

Paul
07-09-2012, 10:57 AM
How do u restore an old profile? I'm having all kinds of playlist issues with my WD TV Live Plus since I moved to 2.6.4. I'm considering uninstalling and re-installing 2.6.3

As per my post in your other thread, please send us a set of logs and we'll get you back up and running ASAP with Mezzmo v2.6.4.

Paul
07-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Hi Dion,

That is strange. Please send a set of logs to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll fix it immediately.