PDA

View Full Version : Ripped DVDs - .VOB

bartman
06-18-2010, 09:09 AM
On my home network I have my my DVD collection which I have ripped. Upon ripping the DVD's they each created their own VIDEO_TS directory which contains their various .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files. My problem / question is that Mezzmo sees each of these ,VOB files as a separate video. Anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Paul
06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
At the moment Mezzmo can only play these individually, however we plan to support playing them as a single movie in a future update.

Heimir
06-20-2010, 06:14 AM
At the moment Mezzmo can only play these individually, however we plan to support playing them as a single movie in a future update.

That would be nice to see.

leet
07-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I have been looking for a media server that will play vob files sequentially. I currently have a large dvd library ripped to disk and would like to preserve the original format so that I can convert to other formats in the future if needed. If there is an alternative solution to the vob files please let me know. I currently use iSkysoft DVD ripper for conversion.

I have tried to create a playlist for a single movie but this still only plays the single vob file.

I like what I have seen in your application and hope I can find a way to maintian a library that the media server software and conversion software can both utilize. Can you tell me when you may have this capability or an alternative to the vob files.

RMerlin
07-08-2010, 01:05 PM
You could either use a VOB join tool (search Google for one - there are quite a few available), or transcode your ripped DVDs into a new single file format (which would take less disk space, allow you to use only one file per movie, but would lose some video quality in the process).

There quite a lot of tools to re-encode ripped DVDs. Personally I use MediaCoder which is free, however it isn't really aimed at novice users, so I can't recommend it unless you were already familiar with codecs, containers, etc... In that case, a commercial product that would be easier to use might be a better choice. Conceiva seem to have such a product - Dennis or someone else at Conceiva might be better positioned than me to tell you if that product could serve your needs (I have never tried it personally).

Paul
07-08-2010, 01:14 PM
RMerlin is right, basically at the moment the only way to watch VOB files as a single movie is to re-code them as a single file. We do have plans for a future version of Mezzmo to do this for you automatically, but I don't have an ETA on that.

Regarding ConvertHQ (Conceiva's product), it will be discontinued, so I cannot recommend using it at this stage, as most probably it will not be updated.

myellen
02-18-2011, 08:07 AM
I need this feature, and it is pretty much the only thing holding me up from buying it.

Paul
02-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Sorry, no update on this yet. Most probably it won't be developed until the next major update is released with subtitles and pre-transcoding.

HTC
02-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I had the same problem. My Solution: Convert them to DVD-R Size and burn them on a DVD-RW. U can now watch the movie and use the main menu. The convert and the burning process takes about 25 min. The picture quality is good enough and u nedd less space on your hdd...

HTC

Hokiebus
05-09-2011, 01:56 AM
I found that DVD Shrink (free) works to combine VOB files. Try (http://dvd-shrink.en.softonic.com/). I've used it and it seems to work ok. To combine VOB files make sure u uncheck "split VOB files" in preferences under edit. Have fun.

cdawe
08-16-2011, 05:16 PM

Hi Dennis,

I just bought the program here in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. I love it, but would also like the "DVD-folders-on-Hard Drive" streaming option added too. Any chance of getting that moved up the list? Please, man! :D

C.

Paul
08-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I just bought the program here in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. I love it, but would also like the "DVD-folders-on-Hard Drive" streaming option added too. Any chance of getting that moved up the list? Please, man! :D
Most likely this will come after the next major update (after burned-in subtitles are released), but it's still on our to-do list, so will see light of day someday... Sorry, that I can't be more specific.

seeny
11-05-2011, 01:58 AM
This thread along w/ the promise from Conceiva to add DVD folder playback was started over a year ago. It would be nice to see this feature someday. Thanks.

JohnM
11-05-2011, 04:12 AM
If all you want to do is join the vob files into 1 file you can do it without buying/downloading more software. Open a dos window Start->Run->cmd
go to the directory where the files are cd \directory (note you need to enter the directory where the file are) to join the files together the command would be:

copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB+VTS_01_2.VOB+VTS_12_4.VOB moviename.vob

You need to supply the vts names in the correct order and the names that disk uses. You can call the moviename.vob whatever you like. Doing this will suffer no loss of quality, but is not a real practical solution.

There are better ways. I use a program call CloneDVDmobile it will allow me to do a VOB file passthrough. (That is what I just described with the copy.) But it puts them in the correct order and allows me to select language etc.
But after playing with this stuff I learned that there is a timing signal inside the VOB. A dvd player ignores the signal so most movies only really care about the first chunk. After that they don't provide a good timing. A DLNA device
will try to use that for FF/Rew. Opps most don't work. So I use a different program VideoRedo Plus to "Quickstream fix" the vob file. It converts it to a mpg and in the process repairs the timing signal so it works. (It also fixes
the incorrect movie length problem.)

jeauxbleaux
11-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Will this future update include the ability to play .ISO files?

Paul
11-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Most likely, once the DVD folder structure support is added, we'll add in ISO support at the same time as well.

jacknetter
12-31-2011, 02:23 AM
I'm in the trial period with Mezzmo. I, too, have several DVDs ripped to Video_TS with multiple VOBs. I used DVD Shrink to convert them to single VOBs. I renamed the big, fat VOB with the title of the movie so I can recognize it in Mezzmo, but it still fails on playback to my Sony GTV. If I understand, Mezzmo should transcode on the fly to H.264 (?) for playback. Maybe this is better as a new topic, but what are folks doing to keep an effective movie library?

NetMasterFlex
12-31-2011, 03:25 AM
I'm in the trial period with Mezzmo. I, too, have several DVDs ripped to Video_TS with multiple VOBs. I used DVD Shrink to convert them to single VOBs. I renamed the big, fat VOB with the title of the movie so I can recognize it in Mezzmo, but it still fails on playback to my Sony GTV. If I understand, Mezzmo should transcode on the fly to H.264 (?) for playback. Maybe this is better as a new topic, but what are folks doing to keep an effective movie library?

I use an extra step and that is to install MakeMKV which is free so long as you download and install the latest version when it comes out. MakeMKV will wrap your DVD files into a single file (container) with the extension .mkv. The nice thing about makeMKV is that it preserves the dvd files without disturbing the quality of the original movie files. Once you convert your files, just rename the .mkv to Movie Name (YEAR).mkv. If you want artwork, you can get a DVD cover image from the net, save it in the same folder as the movie and call it: folder.jpg. Mezzmo will then display the cover in it's interface. Hope this helps.

NMF

jacknetter
12-31-2011, 03:37 AM
I downloaded makeMKV but haven't tried it yet. I'll give that a go. Thanks for the insight.

jn