PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo service and high memory utilization

jbinkley60
11-16-2012, 07:55 AM
I run Mezzmo 2.7.1 under Windows 7 X64 Pro on an 8 core AMD processor machine with 32 gigs of memory. I've been noticing that when the machine boots up, it will often show 20 gigs of memory in use. After some troubleshooting I found that the problem was related to the Mezzmo service. If I shut down the service I could immediately see the In Use memory start dropping in the Resource Monitor until after a few minutes it was down to 2.5 gig in use. After some additional troubleshooting I found that if I changed the servcie starting from Automatic to Automatic - Delayed, it would start normally (after a short delay) on reboot and would use a normal amount of memory but with Automatic the service would chew through available memory. It ran fine, even with the large amont of memory in use but it shouldn't be doing this. Anyway, I am set to Automatic - Delayed for the service starting and memory usage is normal now.

jbinkley60
11-16-2012, 08:15 AM
I spoke too soon. After a few minutes of the service running under Automatic - Delayed it did the same thing and chewed through 20 gigs of memory. It just took longer than Automatic.

Paul
11-16-2012, 09:17 AM
A set of logs files should help tell us what could be the reason for the high memory usage. Please turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Wait about 5 minutes and then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

jbinkley60
11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Paul,

I just sent them via E-mail.

Thanks

Paul
11-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks. We received your logs and have sent you a patch to try.

jbinkley60
11-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Paul,

As always, thanks for the superb support and quick turnaround. Unfortunately the patch didn't fix the issue. I just zipped up another set of logs to you.

Thanks,

jbinkley60
11-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Paul,

I just sent a note to support. It looks like the culprit was the Microsoft Superfetch service. I found it by disabling the Mezzmo service and 5-6 minutes after a restart I saw the same condition. I kept disabling sevrices and doing restarts until I found the Superfetch services casuing the issue. It is disabled and Mezzmo is running. I am now seeing 7% memory usage (~3gigs).

Thanks,

Jeff

Paul
11-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Hi Jeff,

Good troubleshooting & thanks for confirming all is OK now.

GBT
11-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi, I have been following this thread but I have exactly the same issue since upgrading to 2.7.1.
I run XP SP2 and prior to upgrade the Mezzmo service ran in around 57Mb memory. It started this morning at 207Mb and is now 301Mb (4 hrs later). Any ideas what might be causing this memory ballooning as XP doesn't have superfetch?

Paul
11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi GBT,

Please create a set of logs files to help us find out what could be the reason for the high memory usage. Please turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Wait about 5 minutes and then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Dion
01-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Paul,

I just sent a note to support. It looks like the culprit was the Microsoft Superfetch service. I found it by disabling the Mezzmo service and 5-6 minutes after a restart I saw the same condition. I kept disabling sevrices and doing restarts until I found the Superfetch services casuing the issue. It is disabled and Mezzmo is running. I am now seeing 7% memory usage (~3gigs).

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry to bump an old thread. But I too was having random high memory usage with MezzmoServer. Turning off Superfetch Service and rebooting fixed it. Have not seen it return.. So far..

jbinkley60
01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread. But I too was having random high memory usage with MezzmoServer. Turning off Superfetch Service and rebooting fixed it. Have not seen it return.. So far..

My suspicion is that when Mezzmo goes out and scans files it triggers Superfetch to load the files thinking that you may come back and want to access them. The function of Super Fetch is to prefetch files in advance to speed up your system. However, it isn't designed or doesn't appear smart enough to handle a situation where many files are scanned in a short period of time and certianly not files the size of video rips. This is my theory.

Paul
01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Dion & jbinkley60. We will suggest other users to try turning off the Superfetch service if they are experience high CPU usage on MezzmoMediaServer.exe.

Dion
01-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Dion & jbinkley60. We will suggest other users to try turning off the Superfetch service if they are experience high CPU usage on MezzmoMediaServer.exe.

You mean.. High Memory Usage :)

Paul
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Oops :o Thanks for the clarification.

Dion
01-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Well the temp fix worked for awhile. But the problem came back. With Superfetch off. I never remember having these problems with older copies of Mezzmo. Hopefully 3.0 fixes this. I tried to make logs but its to random. Sometimes It wont happen for days and the logs get huge.

Peter
01-09-2013, 01:37 PM
We have identified a memory leak in Mezzmo each time the Mezzmo database is opened, so possibly this will be the cause of the memory issue you have reported.

Dion
01-10-2013, 12:07 AM
We have identified a memory leak in Mezzmo each time the Mezzmo database is opened, so possibly this will be the cause of the memory issue you have reported.

I am willing to test a patch if you have one :)

Paul
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
We don't have a patch for the current release (Mezzmo v2.7.1.0) - only for Mezzmo 3.0 Beta. Email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and you can try the next Mezzmo v3.0 Beta (that has this memory fix).

IronAddict
04-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Hello,

I am running Mezzmo 3.1.1.0 (newly updated) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 platform -- running on a 32GB i7-2600K 14TB machine. While i get no error messages i've traced that there still appears to be memory leak. Using Rammap (www.sysinternals.com) i've found that Mezzmo caches entire files, into the active portion of paged pool portion of memory, that are viewed through (in this case) my WD Live portal. When the movie is started the memory builds up and even once the movie is turned off or finished the entire file still occupies the page pool portion. I've verified that R2 does not enable superfetch so the above solution would not work. Even turning off the media server does not release the memory after a long wait period. As i said there appears to be no 'errors' generated except that as movies are viewed ever more memory is consumed until the machine has to be rebooted.

Any ideas? Thanks.

namaste

Peter
04-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi Namaste,
you could try the solutions indicated in http://www.networksteve.com/forum/topic.php/Windows_2008_R2_-_large_file_copy_uses_all_available_memory_and/?TopicId=15382&Posts=5 as it appears to be a similar problem.

IronAddict
04-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Peter,

Thanks very much .. I tried it ... no love ... still captures a ton of memory loading the entire file and no release after completion. I had looked at that thread earlier but had not found it worked either .. Any other ideas ?

Paul
04-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Namaste,

Please capture a set of logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com. Turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Stream a video to reproduce the problem and then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us. Also, take a screenshot of RAMMap so we can see what you mean regarding memory usage.

IronAddict
04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi There,

Paul ... thanks for your work ... I decided to simply 'kill' the windows server 2008 R2 machine and installed windows 7 ultimate instead and converted it to a multi-user machine using some other patch that i have ... so far .. no memory issues whatsoever ... I do suspect likely that the leakage stemmed from something in my firewall that had been attacked a few months ago which left many files broken and i couldnt seem to recover from. All's well now.. The only thing left to deal with is the stutter from large bitrate files that WD Live TV apparently cannot handle .. sigh ...

Two worthy notes here for the product

(1) in another thread its recommended, when migrating to another machine, to copy over the mezzmo.db and the thumbnails.db -- worked like a charm ... run mezzmo server once ... register it correctly then stop it copy the files and restart it ... voila .. works as advertized -- note do only copy the thumbnail and main db files .. nothing else ...

(2) i just used a SQLite Adminstrator product to read the database data and found it also works like a charm (as advertized in here). I've managed to clean up residual legacy data and i can also create a nice list of the movies i have exported to an excel spreadsheet ... also enabled me to 'switch' drive letter by simply updating all the locations where the current files are ... simple simple simple ... i love an elegant design.

I'll be creating a crystal report against the DB shortly to produce a catalog of movies ... Might also try to create "0 byte" entries in order to create a "wish list" that i can also catalog -- easy way to get xmas stuff for the family .. lmao

Thanks for all your help and a great product .

Paul
04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Glad you got up and running, IronAddict. We have not had memory leak issues reported by other users of Mezzmo v3.1.1.0, so your initial post about your Server 2012 environment did sound a little strange. Anyway, we're glad you were able to isolate the issue.

Regarding the stuttering with high bitrate files, DLNA devices do have limits as to what they can decode & play in real time. High bitrate files can cause devices to stutter or display "loading" often. The fix for this is to lower the bitrate using your favorite video conversion tool or using built-in Mezzmo's pre-transcode feature (right-click on the video in Mezzmo and click 'Pre-transcode Files').

Dion
12-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Hello,

I am running Mezzmo 3.1.1.0 (newly updated) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 platform -- running on a 32GB i7-2600K 14TB machine. While i get no error messages i've traced that there still appears to be memory leak. Using Rammap (www.sysinternals.com) i've found that Mezzmo caches entire files, into the active portion of paged pool portion of memory, that are viewed through (in this case) my WD Live portal. When the movie is started the memory builds up and even once the movie is turned off or finished the entire file still occupies the page pool portion. I've verified that R2 does not enable superfetch so the above solution would not work. Even turning off the media server does not release the memory after a long wait period. As i said there appears to be no 'errors' generated except that as movies are viewed ever more memory is consumed until the machine has to be rebooted.

Any ideas? Thanks.

namaste

I have noticed.. If you pause a movie on your WDTV for a LONG time. And come back and hit play. It starts to increase mezzmoserver.exe memory usage and never releases. A very high memory usage too. I have had it up to 3 or 4 gigs once. The only fix is to stop it.. And restart the server ( not PC ). I hope this can be fixed.

Paul
12-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for reporting this, Dion. We'll try to replicate it here with our WD TV Live players.