PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Streaming Issues

Phidaissi
11-20-2012, 08:39 PM
When I watch videos on my Playstation 3 via Mezzmo, I regularly run into an issue with the streaming.

At random points while watching, the audio will suddenly stop, and the video will continue (silent) for 5-10 seconds before it stops.
I then have to stop playback and start again.

I find that if I stop playback (with the circle button, exiting the ps3 video player) and immediately open it again, it will continue playing from where it was without issue.
It doesn't happen consistently at specific points in a video, I can open a video, watch it until this happens, stop, play again (from where it was stopped) and rewind back past the point it broke and play that section without issue. As I usually miss a few seconds each time this happens, I often actually need to do this to catch any dialogue.

Sometimes I can watch a whole video without this happening.
Other times it can happen three or four times in relatively quick succession, in under a minute of actual video viewing.

This doesn't appear to be happening on other devices streaming from Mezzmo.
My PS3 is connecting to Mezzmo using the PS3 profile, and this happens on transcoded AND non-transcoded files, so that doesn't appear to be the cause.

This can happen quite a lot and makes watching my videos very frustrating, but apart from this I'm pretty happy with Mezzmo, so would like to find a fix for this rather than have to give up on the product.

Paul
11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It appears that the PS3 firmware is struggling to properly decode and play certain video files that you are streaming to it. The fact that both transcoded and non-transcoded files have this problem tells us that FFmpeg transcoding is not the cause (i.e. it is not badly transcoding your files). Please post the FFmpeg information on a few of the files that you stream natively to your PS3 that have the audio dropout as you mention. To do this, right-click on the video file in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'.

One thing to try is to transcode a video (that streams natively to the PS3 but has audio dropout) to another format and then stream it to your PS3 to see if it continues to have audio dropout. It may help us isolate a particular codec/format that the PS3 is struggling to decode & play. To pre-transcode a file, right-click on the file in Mezzmo and click 'Pre-transcode Files'. In the Pre-transcode Files dialog, select your device and then click Choose Formats. In the Pre-transcode Formats dialog, select one of the formats and click OK. After pre-transcoding has completed (view the Transcoding pane to monitor progress), try streaming the file to your PS3. If that is no better, then try pre-transcoding the video file to another format. If you end up having multiple transcoded files for the video, you can go to the Properties dialog for the video file in Mezzmo and click on the Transcoding tab. You will see each transcoded file that you have created. You can select a particular transcoded file to set them to 'Preferred', meaning Mezzmo server will stream that transcoded file to your PS3 whilst you are testing the various formats.

Let us know how you go.

Phidaissi
11-21-2012, 08:52 PM
That may take a while to pin down, I'll give it a try and see if there's any specific formats at fault.