PDA

View Full Version : Problems with transcoding in version 2.1.7

Aturnb
06-20-2010, 01:32 AM
I have recently upgraded from 2.1.6 to 2.1.7 and am now experiencing problems with audio stutter on transcoding of video files.

The problem is non-existant with version 2.1.6 and I've therefore rolled back the software to this version.

However, having paid for the software I'd like to try and solve this problem and get the latest version working.

The video starts off playing as it should but after a few minutes the audio starts dropping out. This happens if I'm watching the transcoded file on the fly or if the file is transcoded in the background and I watch it back later.

Can you advise me on the best way to get this fault logged and a solution found?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
06-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Hello,

Can you please tell me which device you are streaming to? We can work out the difference in device profiles to see if any changes made introduced this, or it's possibly the new FFmpeg version (it's different to 2.1.6 FFmpeg version). If you wish, I can send you FFmpeg from 2.1.6, so that you could try it with 2.1.7.

Aturnb
06-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks for replying.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-37EX403 DLNA supported TV.

In version 2.1.6 I cannot watch transcoded files "on the fly" so have to start the program then leave it so that the transcoding finishes in the background. Once transcoded it plays perfectly.

In version 2.1.7 I can sort of watch the program "on the fly" but I start to get audio drop outs. If I attempt to do the same routine as I do in 2.1.6, i.e. start the program then leave and allow it to transcode in the background when I go back and watch the transcoded program the audio stuttering has been transcoded into the file. Deleting the transcoded file and getting it to do it again just gives the same result.

So I think as well that it's FFmpeg that's changed.

I'd be grateful if you would send me the FFMpeg version for 2.1.6 and I'll install it into 2.1.7 and see if that works. You should have my e-mail address from my registration details. I don't want to type it into an open forum.

On another point I'd like to edit the device profile. At the moment the files are being transcoded into ac3 format. However the source file is stereo pro-logic and I don't need the ac3. My receiver is quite old and it's a pain swapping from ac3 to stereo pro-logic. Is it possible to let me know what I need to alter in the audio settings of the device profile to get it to transcode with the original audio?

Also is it possible to ask for a transcoding option within Mezzmo where you can run the transcoding from the software and have the files ready for viewing when you switch on the TV. I'd like to be able to transcode a number of files and watch them back but I cannot do this with Mezzmo as it only transcodes once you select the file via the TV. If you know that the file will need transcoding before you can watch it it would be nice to be able to flag the file from within the software so that Mezzmo can carry out the transcoding beforehand. (I hope I'm making myself clear on this??)

Paul
06-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Can you please try downloading the previous FFmpeg version from this page: http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/credits.asp - it's the Binaries from April 15th. Or just use this direct link: http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/FFmpeg/ffmpeg_libs_bin_gpl_20100415.zip

With audio transcoding - can you please post FFmpeg information for one of those files and I'll be able to tell you how to adjust the device profile to suit that.

In a future update, Mezzmo will allow pre-transcoding files, so then you'll be able to prepare your Library for your device before watching, so it'll all (or at least parts of it you choose) be ready for you.

Aturnb
06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I've downloaded the file from the link you gave and re-installed version 2.1.7. I'll try it out later today and let you know what happens.

Here's a paste of the FFmpeg info for one of my files following re-installation of V2.1.7

FFmpeg version SVN-r23438, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
built on Jun 3 2010 11:03:31 with gcc 4.4.0
configuration: --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --extra-cflags=-I/c/msys/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/c/msys/local/lib --enable-zlib --enable-w32threads --extra-cflags=-fno-common --enable-gpl --enable-libx264 --disable-ffplay --disable-ffprobe --disable-ffserver
libavutil 50.16. 0 / 50.16. 0
libavcodec 52.73. 0 / 52.73. 0
libavformat 52.67. 0 / 52.67. 0
libavdevice 52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
libavfilter 1.20. 0 / 1.20. 0
libswscale 0.11. 0 / 0.11. 0
[mpeg @ 0162e010]max_analyze_duration reached
Input #0, mpeg, from 'D:\Entertainment\TV and Video\Star Trek Enterprise\Enterprise Season 04\S04_Ep08_Awakening_02.mpg':
Duration: 00:40:46.10, start: 0.200000, bitrate: 1660 kb/s
Stream #0.0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 544x576 [PAR 32:17 DAR 16:9], 15000 kb/s, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
Stream #0.1[0x1c0]: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 128 kb/s
At least one output file must be specified

Thanks for your help, and it's great to read that a future update will allow pre-transcoding from within the software.

Aturnb
06-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Ok, I've tested v2.1.7 with the previous version of FFmpeg and I'm getting the stuttering on audio.

I've also played the transcoded file on my pc with VLC and it plays perfectly, indicating that FFmpeg has transcoded the file correctly.

That tells me that the problem lies not with FFmpeg but with Mezzmo's streaming of the transcoded file to the TV.

Can you advise on what to do or try next please?

Thanks

Nightwisher
06-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Ok, I've tested v2.1.7 with the previous version of FFmpeg and I'm getting the stuttering on audio.

I've also played the transcoded file on my pc with VLC and it plays perfectly, indicating that FFmpeg has transcoded the file correctly.

That tells me that the problem lies not with FFmpeg but with Mezzmo's streaming of the transcoded file to the TV.

Thanks

Vlc does not use ffmpeg, it uses internal codecs.
If you want to test ffmpeg try media player or media player classic or other player without internal codecs.

Paul
06-25-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks
Yes, please send a message to support, as we've got a new patch ready that fixes some stuttering or disconnection issues. Maybe you're experiencing one of those issues.

Aturnb
06-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Ok thanks for the advice. I've sent a message to Support.

Comancheace
06-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Can you please tell me if you can change options to play some files without transcoding in full hd, and transcode others and playback in 720x406?

Thanks

Paul
06-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Can you please tell me if you can change options to play some files without transcoding in full hd, and transcode others and playback in 720x406?

Thanks
Yes, that's all described in the device profile - I'll reply to you regarding this in the other thread.

Aturnb
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Problem resolved via Conceiva support and updated Profile.

Thread can be closed.