PDA

View Full Version : Impact of network design on Mezzmo

hartlenb
11-22-2012, 05:32 AM
My media is stored on a NAS. I'm wondering if Mezzmo's performance can be affected by moving the NAS closer to the Mezzmo server or closer to the target device?

Specifically, would attaching my NAS to the DAP1522 wireless bridge improve performance on the BD-C5500... or is it better to be on the same switch as PC1 which hosts the Mezzmo server?

Paul
11-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi hartenb,

Nice home setup :cool: In general, the less hops/junctions/competition between the PC running Mezzmo and the storage location of your files, the better streaming performance will be (i.e. having the NAS closer to the PC running Mezzmo is optimal). Looking at your diagram, it looks fine for accessing files from your NAS.

Another tip regarding NAS: Some NAS boxes have auto-sleep features and require several seconds to wake up (start spinning) when accessed. This can sometimes affect streaming since Mezzmo is trying to access a file on the NAS and stream it to the DLNA device, but must wait until the NAS is ready. On some more time-sensitive DLNA devices, this can sometimes result in a "cannot play" error on the device the first time you try to play the file (since Mezzmo could not deliver the file quick enough). The next time you try, it typically plays fine since the NAS is fully spinning/operational. Depending on your energy costs/considerations, you may want to turn off the sleep features on your NAS to prevent this situation occurring.

JohnM
11-23-2012, 04:10 AM
I really wish it was as easy as it sounds. When you use wifi it is a really hard to predict problems. Sometimes closer is better, but too close can also be a problem. The only general statement that is true is that a wired network will always perform better (and more predictably). Here is a video from the Introduction to networking course at Stanford university where they discuss wifi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cHU4G6uXwQY

Paul
11-23-2012, 08:34 AM
You are right, JohnM. I was not clear about this. You should always use an Ethernet cabled connection between your PC and your NAS where possible. Wireless between your PC and NAS will be less optimal for media streaming.