PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Aquos C8470U - Not playing my MKV files

Scott
11-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Mezzmo and the DLNA world. It's awesome and I have loved using my digital library on my TV.

I just bought a new Sharp C8470U and I am having some trouble getting the TV to play my MKV files. My previous Sharp recognized and played them just fine, but this one is showing "Can't play this file type" error on the TV. Even with that error, Mezzmo is starting to transcode the file, but it's saying that the transcoding is too slow. I tried changing the device profile around to the different Sharp profiles. Oddly, when I first started Mezzmo with the new tv, Mezzmo assigned it a generic device profile. When I switched it to "Sharp Aquos (2011 model), it played one of my MKV files, but non of the others. I tried uninstalling Mezzmo and reinstalling it. This time it recognized the TV with the Sharp profile, but non of the MKV files are playing. I didn't have this problem on my previous Sharp. Mezzmo worked perfectly transcribing the files and playing them.

Any suggestions?

Huge thanks,

Scott

Paul
11-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Mezzmo is transcoding your MKV files to a format that your TV supports.

Do you know what video formats that your TV model supports? You can typically find this in the TV's manual. If it supports MKV, then we will create a new device profile to match your TV's capabilities.

Scott
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Paul,

I really appreciate the reply. The TV (Sharp C8470U) does say that it supports MKV. I turned on the the pre-transcoding feature for MKV files and it seems to be working alright. My first question is, will that use more disk space? I have a lot of MKV files and they are 6-10gb each.

Another question that just came up regards AVCHD files. I see online that most people are able to get these to play through Mezzmo on Sharp products, but they are just freezing my TV. Any thoughts? Is there a newer Sharp (like 2012) profile being developed that might help?

Huge thanks again,

Scott

Mezzmo is transcoding your MKV files to a format that your TV supports.

Do you know what video formats that your TV model supports? You can typically find this in the TV's manual. If it supports MKV, then we will create a new device profile to match your TV's capabilities.

Paul
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi Scott,

If Mezzmo transcodes your MKV file, then they are cached in your transcoding folder. See the Transcoding Settings dialog to control all aspects of transcoding - including the location of this folder and the maximum size of this folder. When the maximum size is reached, Mezzmo will remove older transcoded files.

Regarding your AVCHD files, a few questions:

Please post the FFmpeg information on one of the AVCHD files. To do this, right-click on the AVCHD file in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'.
What device profile is your Sharp TV using in Mezzmo?
Do you have transcoding turned on or off?

Scott
12-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Paul - thanks for the help earlier. I thought I had the problem with the MKV's solved, but after not trying to watch one since the last posting, I tried to watch one tonight and it didn't work. I'm getting the same "Can't play this file" error I was getting earlier. I am still using the Sharp Aquos 2011 profile and I have transcoding turned on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

Paul
12-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi Scott,

Try pre-transcoding the MKV file and then playing it. Right-click on the MKV in Mezzmo and click 'Pre-transcode Files'. In the 'Pre-transcode Files' dialog, choose your device and click 'Choose Formats'. In the Transcoding Formats dialog select the bolded format and click OK. Click OK to start transcoding and then wait until transcoding has completed. Then stream the MKV to your TV and see how it goes. If no better, then please post the FFmpeg Information on the MKV video. To do this, right-click on the MKV in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'.

Scott
12-17-2012, 12:27 PM
That worked Paul. Thank you. But I'm wondering if I need to pretranscode all my MKV files? That's a really time intensive process. I usually buy a movie and then hope to watch it as soon as it downloads. The transcoding takes a half hour or more. Any other options? Can't Mezzmo transcode real time as the movie plays? And since my TV says it plays MKV, so why is it necessary?

Paul
12-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Mezzmo can transcode in real-time (or on-the-fly) but it appears your TV may not like playing media files that are being transcoded on-the-fly. That's why I asked you to try pre-transcoding a file and streaming it.

Now we should check what your TV is requesting when you stream and transcode on-the-fly. There may be something we can do in the device profile to make it work. Please turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Connect to Mezzmo using your TV and stream a video that you have not pre-transcoded as yet. When it fails to play, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Scott
12-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Hi Paul,

My emails were getting kicked back, so I thought I would try this way....

Here is the log information as well as the ffmpeg info for one of the MKV files I am trying to play. I also included a screen shot of the help forum post below so you know who this was coming from.

Really appreciate your help!

Scott

ffmpeg version N-40693-gc457a29 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
built on May 15 2012 12:57:14 with gcc 4.6.2
configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --arch=x86 --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-w64-mingw32- --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-zlib --disable-postproc --prefix=/home/peter/ffmpeg/build/gpl --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --extra-libs='-lx264 -lpthread' --enable-runtime-cpudetect --extra-cflags=-I/home/peter/cc/include --extra-ldflags=-L/home/peter/cc/lib --pkg-config=pkg-config --disable-w32threads
libavutil 51. 51.100 / 51. 51.100
libavcodec 54. 21.101 / 54. 21.101
libavformat 54. 5.100 / 54. 5.100
libavdevice 53. 4.100 / 53. 4.100
libavfilter 2. 73.100 / 2. 73.100
libswscale 2. 1.100 / 2. 1.100
libswresample 0. 11.100 / 0. 11.100
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'C:\Users\Scott Desktop\Videos\Movies\The Dark Knight Rises 2012 (HD).mkv':
Duration: 02:44:32.79, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 5707 kb/s
Chapter #0.0: start 0.000000, end 542.834000
Metadata:
title : 00:00:00.000
Chapter #0.1: start 542.834000, end 1148.522000
Metadata:
title : 00:09:02.834
Chapter #0.2: start 1148.522000, end 1815.856000
Metadata:
title : 00:19:08.522

Paul
12-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the logs. They show that Mezzmo is transcoding your MKV to MPEG-TS on-the-fly, but your computer's CPU & memory are not quick enough to transcode it in real time and eventually your TV gives up playing the file (because of lack of video data).

Try this: Go to the Media Devices dialog in Mezzmo and edit your Sharp TV device listed there. In the Device Settings dialog, click on the Performance tab and reduce the Video bitrate slider to halfway. This should help make transcoding perform faster. Then, go to the Transcoding tab and delete your transcoded files. Click OK to save your device settings and restart your Mezzmo server. Try streaming the same MKV file again and see how it goes. If no better, then please send us a new set of logs for analysis.

Scott
12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey Paul,

No luck. I moved the slider half way down and when I try to play the MKV the TV still hestitates about 2 seconds then shows the "Cannot Play this File" error. I also moved the slider all the way down and that didn't work either. Then just for fine, I tried that slower bitrate on all 4 of the Sharp profiles listed....didn't work on any of them.

Here are the logs. Thanks for working through this with me.

Scott

Paul
12-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the tests & new set of logs. The logs show that even by lowering the video bitrate, transcoding this file on-the-fly is too slow on your computer for real-time streaming. When you stream this file, please go to the Transcoding pane in Mezzmo and you will see the file listed there. If it is marked red, then that tells us that transcoding is too slow for real-time streaming. The workaround (which you already know about) is to pre-transcode your file - or to upgrade your computer with a more powerful CPU and memory so that transcoding is faster for real-time streaming.

Scott
12-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi again Paul,

My computer has an AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.90 GHz, 16 GB RAM, and 64 bit OS. It's only about 6 months old and I have never had a problem with anything being slow on it...Vegas movie creation, games, or other memory intensive tasks.

My other computers, I would totally understand, but you think this processor/memory is too slow? There's nothing else to try?

Thanks as always,

sb

sb

Paul
12-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Always something else to try :D Please email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll send you an updated device profile that may improve streaming your MKV files. Also, please check your TV's manual to see what video formats your TV can play via DLNA or USB. Please add this information into your email to us.