PDA

View Full Version : High CPU utilization

Heimir
06-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Running 2.17 on Windows 2003 server.
Mezzmo process is very often high and I dont mean while watching a movie. It might stay at 50% cpu util until the process is restarted.

The other day it was sitting at 100% and I had not used the media server for a day or two.

Any suggestion on where to start looking here?

Paul
06-22-2010, 09:30 AM
If it's not transcoding anything, then the server should not use that much CPU of course (check Task Manager, with "Show Processes from all users" to see if any "ffmpeg.exe" are running).

It is also possible that it's processing thumbnails or other metadata - if you've added lots of files using Mezzmo and then quit the GUI, the server will take over the system tasks of collecting thumbnails, artwork, etc...

Heimir
06-25-2010, 05:55 AM
If it's not transcoding anything, then the server should not use that much CPU of course (check Task Manager, with "Show Processes from all users" to see if any "ffmpeg.exe" are running).

It is also possible that it's processing thumbnails or other metadata - if you've added lots of files using Mezzmo and then quit the GUI, the server will take over the system tasks of collecting thumbnails, artwork, etc...

Ffmpeg.exe is not running.
Mezzemo is not being used right now but the cpu util from mezzmediamoserver.exe is running around 45-50%. Memory usage is constant at 260Mb or so.
When I restart the service util will drop to 0 and memory usage is 12mb

It happens without me adding anything.

Paul
06-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Thank you for the additional information - it's really strange and I would really like to reproduce it here and get it fixed, but haven't had much luck so far unfortunately. We'll be keeping an eye for this during our testing and once this happens, we'll get it fixed.

One other question - is Mezzmo GUI running at this time? If it is, is it minimized or not? Have you noticed any relation between the two?

Heimir
06-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Thank you for the additional information - it's really strange and I would really like to reproduce it here and get it fixed, but haven't had much luck so far unfortunately. We'll be keeping an eye for this during our testing and once this happens, we'll get it fixed.

One other question - is Mezzmo GUI running at this time? If it is, is it minimized or not? Have you noticed any relation between the two?

Not running.
Makes no difference I thnk.
Will keep an eye on it and keep you posted.

Heimir
06-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Not running.
Will keep an eye on it and keep you posted.

Restarted the service last night.
the GUI was running.
Watched a few minutes of several videos for testing.
Memory normal and cpu seemed low.
This morning the memory is went from 26mb to 73mb and cpu util was about 45-50%
Killed the GUI.
Memory the same but util is jumping all over from 0 to 45%.

catharsys
07-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Hello,
today i arrived home @ 2100 and both cpu's were maxed out @ 99%, I wasn't doing any transcoding or getting any files. Last time I used the program was @ 0900
I've got the database maintenance scheduled for 0300. The application was minimized and I was unable to maximize it. I Just killed it.
Mezzmoserver was running at about 1-2%.
Memory for mezzmo was about 40mb... and server was about 8mb
No ffmpeg was runing

Paul
07-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks for letting us know! We'll try to reproduce this here and I'll post back with our findings, or if we need some more details. Does it feel like Maintenance would be taking up so much CPU? If you turn off schedule maintenance, does the same happen?

catharsys
07-29-2010, 03:55 PM
i am going to disable maintenance today and test it.
It's about 8 am and mezzmoserver is using about 50%... still i haven't used the server since 2100

Paul
07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Let me know how that goes without maintenance. It'd be great if we could narrow it down, because we haven't reproduced it here yet.

catharsys
07-30-2010, 12:34 PM
maintenance disabled...at 1800 when i arrived both cpu's at 100%...
killed the process, started the mezzmo gui, did nothing else...
I didn't used it via my Samsung TV and it has been at 0% since.
Going to watch some stuff and wait until tomorrow to see if the same happens. It's about 0430..
---
Now at 1000 after yesterday viewing everything seems normal on my pc...will wait for later tonight to see if anything changes

youngboy815
07-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Running 2.17 on Windows 2003 server.
Mezzmo process is very often high and I dont mean while watching a movie. It might stay at 50% cpu util until the process is restarted.

The other day it was sitting at 100% and I had not used the media server for a day or two.

Any suggestion on where to start looking here?

Not running.
Will keep an eye on it and keep you posted. :o:o

catharsys
08-01-2010, 06:38 AM
maintenance disabled...at 1800 when i arrived both cpu's at 100%...
killed the process, started the mezzmo gui, did nothing else...
I didn't used it via my Samsung TV and it has been at 0% since.
Going to watch some stuff and wait until tomorrow to see if the same happens. It's about 0430..
---
Now at 1000 after yesterday viewing everything seems normal on my pc...will wait for later tonight to see if anything changes

Used it last night and been away for the last 20h or so...went to check and cpu is idle on both processes. So it could be because of the scheduled maintenance.

RMerlin
08-01-2010, 09:17 AM
I used to have occasional issues whenever maintenance tried to process a very old video that was encoded in DivX3. I would be able to tell which file caused the issue because when I would manually launch maintenance, it would get stuck on this file in the status window. Might be worth trying to manually launch maintenance, and watch the Mezzmo window to see if the CPU hits the roof on a specific file.

In my case, I simply deleted the file, and everything became smooth again.

Paul
08-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Used it last night and been away for the last 20h or so...went to check and cpu is idle on both processes. So it could be because of the scheduled maintenance.

Ok, we'll dig in this direction :)

I used to have occasional issues whenever maintenance tried to process a very old video that was encoded in DivX3. I would be able to tell which file caused the issue because when I would manually launch maintenance, it would get stuck on this file in the status window. Might be worth trying to manually launch maintenance, and watch the Mezzmo window to see if the CPU hits the roof on a specific file.

In my case, I simply deleted the file, and everything became smooth again.
If you still have that file and if it's not too big, would it be possible for us to have it here for testing to see why it gets stuck? Thanks!

RMerlin
08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
If you still have that file and if it's not too big, would it be possible for us to have it here for testing to see why it gets stuck? Thanks!

Unfortunately I have deleted it since then. It was a really old DivX 3 file (probably a few hundred megs large) that had been gathering dust. I have seen cases where Windows itself would have issues with some of those files (Windows Explorer would sometime hang while trying to analyze those files using the newer DivX codec shell extension).

Paul
08-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately I have deleted it since then. It was a really old DivX 3 file (probably a few hundred megs large) that had been gathering dust. I have seen cases where Windows itself would have issues with some of those files (Windows Explorer would sometime hang while trying to analyze those files using the newer DivX codec shell extension).
No problem. The whole world of video/audio codecs/formats is a real mess, so I'm not surprised that there're files that would do that of course.

steppinwolf
08-29-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm getting similar behavior as others here: Mezzmo Media Server has been using 20-24% of CPU (2 out of 8 threads > 80% ) for hours. No transcoding at this time; ffmpeg.exe is not running. This started when I ran library maintenance manually. I let it continue overnight and it's still going. Must be stuck in some sort of processor loop.

I don't have library maintenance scheduled because of this issue. Nothing shows in the Mezzmo console status bar except the usual "Media Server: Running". The only disk files the Media Server process has open right now are it's own database files. I wonder if the size of our libraries (music, video or image) is a factor...

Update: Finally stopped and restarted the media server to kill process after > 8 hours.

RMerlin
08-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Most of the time this is caused by a corrupted file that Mezzmo gets stuck on while processing it (either analyzing it or creating a thumbnail).

You will need to determine which file is causing the issue. Simplest way is to enable logging, then start a manual maintenance. When CPU usage seems to be stuck for a while, stop Mezzmo, and check the log to see which file got stuck processing (see this thread (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/624-Mezzmo-Crashes-%28Program-Stopped-responding%29) for more details)

Another way is to delete your library, then add only one folder at a time, until you locate the problematic folder.

It is unlikely to be an issue caused by the amount of files - Mezzmo uses a database for storing its data, and should be able to handle very large amount of files without any problem.

Paul
08-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately, we have not reproduced the issue as yet, but we will keep trying. If you isolate it down to a problem file, then please let us know. It would be a great hint at fixing the problem.

For the moment, if you do have this high CPU issue whilst the server is idle, then I suggest you stop and start your Mezzmo server to reset it.

JUDGE
08-31-2010, 04:09 PM
I also had high CPU usage after install and adding my media, multipul insstances of ffmpeg.exe while it was downloading thumnails and such for my media files, when finished CPU usage returned to normal. this was all while media server was stoped.

Paul
08-31-2010, 04:16 PM
High CPU usage is normal (expected) whilst importing your media files. Mezzmo tries to get information about your files as fast as it can as you add them into Mezzmo, so you can start playing them on your TV or DLNA device immediately. It also creates photo/video thumbnails and gets music album artwork from your files or the internet.

The strange high CPU usage being reported by a few users is when Mezzmo seems to be doing nothing. That's the one we are trying to replicate & fix.

ctb
03-26-2011, 03:25 AM
Has this issue been resolved? I have the trial version running and when I play .avi files the ffmpeg.exe transcoder kicks off and starts running at random between 50% and 99% cpu. I understand that ffmpeg.exe eats up alot of CPU, but it eventually kills the video, by either starting it over and over or getting the sound off track with the picture.

Thoughts?

Paul
03-28-2011, 09:07 AM
What device are you streaming to? If it's a Sony BDP, then there's a patch available to fix some specific issues relevant for that device - please send a message to support (at) conceiva (dot) com to get it. Otherwise, please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging), then try playing the failing file again and once it fails, stop the server and send the logs to the above e-mail for further investigation.