PDA

View Full Version : AVC and subtitles

Dude
01-04-2013, 07:15 AM
I see that Mezzmo transcodes to AVC, and not to MPEG2 via Mencoder. I own a Sony Bravia 2012 TV set.

How do I set up subtitles to accompany the movies in my library?

Paul
01-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Sony devices do not support displaying external subtitles (.SRT, etc.) and don't support displaying embedded subtitle channels from video files, so you must "burn" in the subtitles into the video before streaming them to your Sony device. The current version of Mezzmo (v2.7.1.0) does not support burning subtitles, but the upcoming Mezzmo v3.0 does. Mezzmo v3.0 is in Beta now and will be released in a few weeks. It is a free upgrade for registered users.

Dude
01-05-2013, 04:10 AM
So Paul,

Am I to understand that Mezzmo 3.0 with burn the subs in the transcoding process, while still outputting AVC (like it currently does) and not MPEG2? Also, is there a beta available for download?

Paul
01-05-2013, 09:24 AM
You are right - Mezzmo v3.0 will burn the subtitles during the transcoding step. The transcoding format (AVC, MPEG-2, etc.) is decided by the device profile you have chosen for your device and the input file's format. We are in Beta testing right now - see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/5492-Mezzmo-v3-0-Invitation-for-Beta-testers.

Dude
01-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Will we be able to choose the transcoding format if we wanted to, or will Mezzmo 3 only do it automatically like Mezzmo 2?

Paul
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Will we be able to choose the transcoding format if we wanted to, or will Mezzmo 3 only do it automatically like Mezzmo 2?

Mezzmo v3.0 chooses the best possible transcoding format based on a number of criteria - the original file's container, audio/video codecs & subtitle channels/files; the device profile you have assigned to your device; the audio & video channels you have selected to be streamed; the subtitle streaming settings you have chosen; etc. Where possible, Mezzmo v3.0 tries to remux as much as possible for super fast transcoding and streaming. You can override Mezzmo's auto transcoding at anytime by pre-transcoding your files to your preferred formats and they will be streamed to your devices.

Dude
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks Paul, can't wait to try out v3