PDA

View Full Version : Stream to Android through the Internet

cue
01-11-2013, 04:28 AM
As far as I can see Mezzmo is the only one that supports resume and I love and need that feature. Also your forum support truly excellent (thats why I cannot use Twonky, they are very bad).
But I also need to be able to stream to an Android device through the Internet, has anyone found any software (app) that can talk to your local LAN when you are away and play from Mezzmo?

Edit: I just saw this (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1563-possible-to-stream-content-from-Mezzmo-over-the-internet) thread, seems like I have to use VPN :(

Paul
01-11-2013, 08:15 AM
In the the current version of Mezzmo (v2.7.1.0), there are no URL streaming features as yet so you will have to do this manually via workarounds like those mentioned in the other thread you found.

After we release Mezzmo v3.0 this month, then we will get back to the URL streaming features where you can stream video and music from web sites using Mezzmo. These features are mostly developed and are working - but we are currently focused on finishing Mezzmo v3.0.

JohnM
01-11-2013, 05:20 PM
cue,
There are clients that can stream across the internet (even 3G). What it is going to take is a client that will let you specify the ip address of the server. Note that this will probably be the public ip address of your router. It should be a static ip. Next you will need to set up the router with port forwarding. So when the client talks to your router it would look like: 12.45.63.1:53169 (that address is just one I made up. It would be the outside address of your router). When your router gets a request to port 53169 it has been told to forward the request to 192.168.1.20:53169 That would be the internal ip address of your Mezzmo machine. Of course the firewalls must allow traffic using that port. Mezzmo itself would not know or care that you are somewhere else. It is all a question of the client being able to specify the address:port. The router/nat being able to forward to Mezzmo and all the firewalls allowing it. I have not tried it on Android yet but on ios PlugPlayer and 8player both could do it. Note that a very real problem will be the upload speed of your internet connection. For SD movies you will need about 2Mbps for HD about 6Mbps. For audio it would depend on your bitrate.

cue
02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Did you implement this feature in v3 already?

I have not tried your suggestion yet.
How would I go about limiting access to my server?
I would not like to have to authenticate all clients, just the ones that connect from the Internet.

Paul
02-20-2013, 06:13 PM
We did not include URL streaming into Mezzmo v3.0. The feature is mostly ready and is working well. We will add it into the next major version sometime this year.

Nyarlathotep
02-20-2013, 10:58 PM
But I also need to be able to stream to an Android device through the Internet, has anyone found any software (app) that can talk to your local LAN when you are away and play from Mezzmo?

This (http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/) is what you need to do that.