PDA

View Full Version : Little Confused about iPod Touch Streaming....

cooltang
01-15-2013, 06:03 PM
From searching around forums, I found that:

When streaming files to the iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch), the files must be a particular format. So Mezzmo must transcode them to this format. The iPad will only play the files when the file has been fully transcoded - so even though Mezzmo is streaming the file to the iPad as it transcodes it, the iPad will not play it until it finds a particular part (index) of the file.

I've tried multiple apps now, and I'm still undecided on a good one to use. Even tested most of the ones listed on your site. I've looked at a few and some stream ok, well gotta finish the file first then stream. But how come the file won't work in its native format? Because when I just put the file on the ipod touch itself (using itunes) and then just play it, it works fine, no transcoding needed. So why is it transcoding, can't it just stream it (even if it has to stream the whole thing first if that's the case) and then play it.

Any recommendations on apps, or is there something wrong in the device profiles? (which is the default one that it picks up when the app tries to access it (I reset it after each app so it can get the new profile))

Paul
01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
I'd suggest trying the 8player app. We have an updated device profile for it so email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll provide it to you. Make sure you select the 'Mariia Smeshkova 8player' device profile for your iOS device in the Media Devices dialog in Mezzmo and that will help your streaming.

Mezzmo v3.0 has better support for iOS (and Android) devices so definitely try the new version when it is released this month.

cooltang
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
thanks, updated file works good, although my poor old ipod doesn't seem to keep up with the video to have completely smooth play, but better than nothing.

*edit*
Actually just tested the file I put on there, which is the same video and it doesn't lag, guess there's something wrong or something slowing down the playback (which isn't transcoding). I'll wait for v3.0 I guess.

Peter
01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Hi,
it is probably network bandwidth that is causing the file to playback poorly, you will need to go to 'Media Devices' and double-click your device in the list then change the 'Connection' to match your network connection type (Wireless G, Wireless N, etc) and then on the Performance tab you can further tune the settings to reduce the resolution of the video (you won't need a high resolution for a mobile device) and the bitrate. These settings will require the file to be transcoded in order to be applied, so you will need to pre-transcode the file if it is supported natively on the device.

cooltang
01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Changed the connection settings (54mbps) and well the audio streams fine, but the video still a little choppy but better than before.

Video type:mp4, size:176 MB, 720x404 resolution, total bitrate: 1145 kbps

I don't really want to transcode all the files to a lower resolution to be honest.

*edit* Just tested it on the free program: QuikIO and sadly enough it works perfectly with no choppy or transcoding, just a quick buffer at the start, but I really want to use Mezzmo.

Peter
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Can you please try right-clicking on the file in Mezzmo and go to properties, then on the Transcoding tab click the button to 'Use Original File...' then select your device. Try streaming the file to the device to see if it plays better.

cooltang
01-22-2013, 11:32 AM
That setting is actually worse.

I guess it did transcode previously with the mpegts (h264, mp2).

And I looked again with the QuikIO program, it had a huge amount of little transcoded files hidden in the .tdb folder listed as:
Source: "MPEG2 Transport" (previously MP4)
Video: "H264"
Audio: "AAC Audio"
Resolution: 720x404

I tried lowering the resolution settings in Mezzmo to max 720 width x 480 height and lowest bitrate possible and the video still lags.

Peter
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Please send an email to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we will supply you with a patch that may resolve this problem.

cooltang
01-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Tried and tested the new files and they don't work. It almost seems like I can't force it to transcode it to lower the bitrate anymore. It also plays worse than previously. The audio streams fine but the video is lagging behind a lot this time.

I guess I'll just use quikio until mezzmo 3.0 comes out and hopefully that fixes it up.

Peter
01-23-2013, 09:38 AM
If you can enable diagnostic http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging and then after restarting your Mezzmo media server try streaming a file to the device then send the logs to support [at] conceiva [dot] com we can try to determine why the file plays so poorly with the patched version.