PDA

View Full Version : Post 3.0.1.0 upgrade problem

splittingdistant
02-09-2013, 06:42 AM
I think I may have accidentally kicked off two auto upgrade processes when I attempted to upgrade to 3.0.1.0. After installation, everything seems to work and "about" confirms that 3.0.1.0. is in use but everytime I start Mezzmo I get a message saying "A previous package installation has not been completed. Please restart Windows to complete the package installation before running auto update again"
This message still appears even after restarting Windows, and any attempt to run Auto-Update or update using the downloaded installation exe says that I'm already on the latest version.

How can I get rid of this pesky "A previous package......" message?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
02-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Try this: Run Mezzmo and go to the Media Server Settings dialog. Change the server start setting to NOT start at Windows startup. Stop your Mezzmo server (if running) and exit Mezzmo. Reboot your computer and then run Mezzmo. Hopefully the message disappears. If not, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Display Windows Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. Display all processes from all users. Kill any Mezzmo.exe or MezzmoMediaServer.exe processes. Now, download the Mezzmo installer from http://www.conceiva.com/downloads and then run it. Choose to do a Repair when prompted. After that completes, run Mezzmo and start your Mezzmo server. You can restore the Mezzmo server start up setting in the Media Server Settings dialog. If still a problem, let us know and we'll help further.

splittingdistant
02-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Paul,

Tnx for your reply. No luck with either option I'm afraid.

Your first suggestion leads to Mezzmo restarting with the pesky message again, and the second option just leads to the installer saying "Your Mezzmo is up to date" without giving me a "repair" option.

Regards,

Kevin.

preskitt.man
02-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Paul,

Tnx for your reply. No luck with either option I'm afraid.

Your first suggestion leads to Mezzmo restarting with the pesky message again, and the second option just leads to the installer saying "Your Mezzmo is up to date" without giving me a "repair" option.

Regards,

Kevin.

I am having the exact same problem.

Paul
02-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Sorry - the Repair option was missing. We have fixed this just now, so please do the following:

Stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo (if running). Download the latest Mezzmo installer from http://www.conceiva.com/downloads and then run it. Choose to do a Repair when prompted. After that completes, run Mezzmo and start your Mezzmo server. If still a problem, let us know and we'll help further.

splittingdistant
02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi Paul,

Followed your instructions and the installation did "repair", but unfortunately the pesky message is still appears.

However, I've done some noodling around myself and discovered that with the "Tools/ Options / General / Check for Updates" box ticked the pesky message appears every time Mezzmo is started as expected, but if the box is unticked the message does not appear ever and all seem fine.

I hope that is of some use!

Regards,

Kevin.

Paul
02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi Kevin,

Excellent troubleshooting. Thanks for this information. It gives us a clue to fix the issue.

isnotry
02-24-2013, 02:31 AM
I am also having this problem after the 3.0.2.0 update. Kicked off the update, the update dialog window wasnt brought to the front of all my other windows so I was impatient and tried to start update process again. It told me an update was in process so I then found my original update dialog and finished that process. Now whenever I start Mezzmo I get the "A previous package installation has not been completed. Please restart Windows to complete the package installation before running auto update again"

I've rebooted several time and it still appears. When I uncheck the "Check for updates" option in Mezzmo it no longer appears.

splittingdistant
02-24-2013, 03:46 AM
Paul,

I'm still getting this problem after a manual upgrade to 3.0.2.0. I rebooted after upgrading before running the newer version, but still exactly the same symptoms as before.

Regards,

Kevin.

isnotry
02-24-2013, 05:02 AM
I get the error message when I select "Check for Updates" or if I manually run the AutoUpdate.exe in Program Files\Conceiva\Mezzmo

Paul
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Try this: Stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Using Windows Explorer, go to your Mezzmo program folder and delete the 'auTemp' and 'auLogs' folders if they are present. Now try to start Mezzmo and see how you go.

splittingdistant
02-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi Paul,

I could only find a "auTemp" folder, which I deleted. Unfortunately, the pesky message still appears after I restarted Mezzmo.

I also tried repairing the installation with a redownloaded package but still no luck I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if this will help but, the message appears after the Mezzmo GUI has appeared but before the Windows "User Account Control" message which pops up when the Mezzmo server initiates.

Regards,

Kevin.

Paul
02-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi Kevin,

We reproduced your problem. Here's the fix:

Stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo if running.
Use Windows Start menu to run "regedit.exe". This is the Windows Registry Editor.
If you have not used Windows Registry Editor before, be careful as it contains settings for Windows and your programs. I'd suggest you make a backup of the registry before making any changes. To do this, click the top icon in the tree (Computer) and click File -> Export to save a backup.
In Windows Registry Editor, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Conceiva -> Mezzmo -> AutoUpdate -> Settings (or if you are running Windows 64 go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> Conceiva -> Mezzmo -> AutoUpdate -> Settings).
You should see "busy" attribute listed there. If this value is set to "1", then double-click it and change it to "0".
Exit Windows Registry Editor.
Run Mezzmo and see how you go now.

splittingdistant
02-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Paul,

We'll start with the bad news!

The main Mezzmo system registry entries on my Win7 Home Premium system were not under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, but I managed to find something close under HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> Conceiva -> Mezzmo -> AutoUpdate -> Settings.

But there was no "busy" attribute, just attributes called "(default)", "ask", and "err".

However, when I did a full search of the registry for the "busy" attribute, I found this: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Conceiva\M ezzmo\AutoUpdate\Settings" which DID include a "busy" attribute which was set to "1".

And now the good news!

On changing this to "0", I can confirm that the pesky message no longer appears when Mezzmo starts. So we can consider this problem well and truly fixed.

It might be the case that the location of the registry entry "busy" will depend on which one of the numerous versions of Windows is used, and as I forgot to tell you which version of Windows I was on when I first posted it didn't help the resolution process, so sorry about that.

In fact it would be great if Conceiva would port Mezzmo to Linux so I could ditch Windows, and the mess that is the System Registry for once and for all.

Regards & Thanks,

Kevin.

Rich
02-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi if it helps,

64 bit machines use a different node in the Windows registry which is why it can be located at : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Conceiva\ Mezzmo\AutoUpdate\Settings (with the Wow6432Node being the difference) otherwise use
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Conceiva -> Mezzmo -> AutoUpdate -> Settings

Thanks for the help - I had the same problem.

If it helps also - I noted the help about was still showing 3.0.1.0 after the upgrade failed and you got the message : "A previous package installation has not been completed.

Please restart Windows to complete the package installation before
running Auto Update again."

Thanks

Rich

Nyarlathotep
02-27-2013, 12:34 AM
In fact it would be great if Conceiva would port Mezzmo to Linux so I could ditch Windows, and the mess that is the System Registry for once and for all.

Though it still requires a Windows installation, Mezzmo does work using VirtualBox...

Paul
02-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Glad you are up and running now.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Windows 64 registry path. I have edited my post to include both Win 32 and Win 64.