PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Smart Tv and mezzmo hiccup

gudgo2001
02-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Hey guys,

Firstly may i say thank you for a great product, for the most part is faultless and runs seamlessly when compared to others out there. has solved all of my home media issues.

I however have but one question, im unsure if this has been asked before, i had a quick search but couldn't find so.

My problem is when on my Samsung smart tv, Model UA55ES7100M.
When i navigate to the "folders" folder i can see my hard drives on local pc's on the network, i can also browse these drives all the way to folder level however, if i try to enter these folders to get to the movie files i get the error of "Request cannot be completed. MEDIA PLAY will return to the previous screen"

Now i thought that this may be a permissions problem, so i tested the same folders on my WDTV live on another tv, and this was able to view, browse and play from these folders.

Hopefully it is a simple fix and if it has been answered before i do appologise.

Thanks again for a great product.

Cheers.

Troy.

Snyper
02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I get this ALL THE TIME but my movies are only about 3 folders deep in most cases. USUALLY it will play properly when I try to go into the same folder. This is with my tv connected directly to my pc through ethernet. I have another tv connected through powerline adapters that this happens to more frequently. If I happen to be doing some heavy downloading (or maybe uploading) I don't even bother trying to watch anything on the powerline tv as I can never get into the folders without this error message.

Paul
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
This problem seems to be timing-related. We've found that Samsung devices (TVs, Blu-ray players, etc.) are very time sensitive - i.e. if Mezzmo server does not respond quickly enough to a request made by a Samsung device, then the Samsung device will give up and display the error message you are getting. This can sometimes occur you are browsing folders. Mezzmo is dynamically walking though the folders/sub-folders on your computer/NAS drive to get the list of files for that folder. Sometimes this can take longer that the Samsung device wants. We'll look at our folder browsing performance and see if we can improve this.

deaded
02-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Yes, I have noticed issues when streaming to my Samsung TV series B and a Samsung BD player, series C. It often seems to give up in the middle of a movie. This does not happen with my Panasonic DVD or my Sharp Aquos TV. I blame it on samsung. I was thinking about just getting a new BD player for the bedroom. Anyone have any suggestions as to the device that Mezzmo gets along with the best?

Paul
02-16-2013, 01:49 PM
We are midway through improving the speed in browsing folders and it is much faster, so this will work better with Samsung products. So, please hold off on getting a new BD player until you try the new Mezzmo update (it should be released mid next week).

deaded
02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Thank you for the reply. There are other issues too. Maybe it's best I start a new thread to ask about it.

cooltang
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
happens to me also, although I know the problem with mine. It happens when you have the power off feature enabled on your hard drives (when its idle for so long), it'll boot the drive on mezzmo but it'll time out on the tv. But then u can just go back into it and it's fine.

I do have a problem with really large folders of files, but I think that's a normal problem with these media servers.

deaded
02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Size matters.

(I KNEW it!)

cooltang
03-20-2013, 03:43 PM
I've also got to suggest there is different limits. I can view my folder that has just like 1100 folders in it, but once I enter one of those folders to check out the video, it'll give that message too: "Request cannot be completed. MEDIA PLAY will return to the previous screen". I also have a folder which just has multiple video files in it, (like 3000), and it doesn't even respond to looking at that folder which eventually times out and closes.

Oh I also got this one folder that has 10 main folders then they have multiple folders inside them (one folder has like 300+ folders) , and I can't access any of those main top level folders, even if the folder just has 1 video file inside it.

Is there ways to speed up this process, even if its taking away all the extras of mezzmo's video images, video meta names or anything like that? I know I could split up the videos and the folders....

These are main root folders (d:\ drive, e:\) etc., which could be another source of the problem.

Paul
03-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for this information. We also see this message on our Samsung products from time-to-time. We have improved the folder browsing speed a little further in the upcoming version, so hopefully that reduces this message appearing.

cooltang
04-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Just wanted to say, that it didn't fix this bug. I load into a media drive (1000+ folders), which it reads & displays fine and then I try to access a folder and it crashes out.

Ran into another now, I view the drive that has like 10 folders which have about 300 folders each in them, it won't even display the drive whatsoever. Just comes up empty.

Peter
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Hi,
can you please enable diagnostic logging then after restarting your Mezzmo media server try browsing the drive that contains 10 folders with 300 folders in each and then send us the logs after it fails to show any files. If you can also send us separate logs showing the 1000+ folder browsing that crashes out we can investigate this further.

cooltang
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
I sent 3 logs:

1st one is the drive with 1000+ folders in it, each with an avi underneath it. (Crashes accessing any of the 1000 folders)

2nd one is the drive with 10 folders with 300+ folders inside it, each with its only avi video. (Crashes accessing any of the 10 folders)

3rd one is the drive with 1000+ files just inside the main drive. (Doesn't display any files or folders listed on that drive)

The whole issue has a work around (if ur like me and having the same problem). Its to put all the files/folders under a subfolder of the main drive and add that folder to Mezzmo. (aka instead of adding E:\ add E:\Subfolder\)

Paul
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks - got your logs. We'll analyze them now and get back to you via email. One restriction that we do know with Samsung devices is that they only accept 999 files or folders being listed via DLNA. Since you mention you have 1000+ folders/files, then this may explain why your TV is "crashing out" when listing these long lists of folder/files.

cooltang
05-09-2013, 06:28 AM
Well it doesn't crash out when over 1000 folders if its E:\subfolder\0\ -> E:\subfolder\1002\, but when its E:\0\ -> E:\1002\ , and it won't work, since u have added E:\ base drive.

Paul
05-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the further information. We'll take a look at your logs to see what is going wrong.