PDA

View Full Version : Panning jerky, and why no FF ?

Care
07-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Hello,
Been having a few probs with Mezzmo + Sony 403 TV, buffering issues were solved with a patched server and Sony profile (Thanks Dennis !) but now Ive noticed that when the picture pans - there is a noticeable jerk... as if the odd frame is missing, the girlfriend cant see this - but I find it annoying, if I copy a file to a memory stick the problem isnt there, so maybe a server setting ?

Also, why cant we FAST-FORWARD ?????? I know its been discussed before, but other servers, such as WildMedia can manage it :rolleyes:

Failing that, is there a way to jump to, say 40mins into a movie ? Was enjoying a 2 hour+ movie the other night, and I cant sit through the first 1hr 10mins again ! :eek:

Paul
07-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Hello,

Can you please tell me what is the server version you're currently using (it'll be 2.1.7.x - where x is the patch number)? You can just go to Mezzmo's installation folder, right click on the file and select Properties -> Details to see that information. Or send a message to support for the latest patch ;)

FF/REW should work just fine, except on a file that is currently being transcoded. The reason is that until a file finishes transcoding, FF/REW is disabled, since there may not be any data at the spot you're trying to get to (and besides, Mezzmo doesn't know what will be the size of the transcoded file, so can't provide this information to the client either). After transcoding has finished (or the file is native), FF/REW should be enabled and work just fine.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean about the panning issue, can you please e-mail support with a bit more info and I'll try to help you out.

Care
07-10-2010, 10:05 AM
2.1.7.12 !

I get the "cannot fast forward until transcoded" bit.... but how does WildMedia server achieve it then ???? with that one you can hold down, say, the right button on the Sony remote, and a time line appears - the cursor then scrolls across it until you let go of the button, playback then starts at THAT point !!!!!! so it IS possible ;-)

Re "panning".... imaging watching a football match - when the action is "in close" theres no problem... but when the shot is "wide" and the camera follows the ball, the whole background moves in the opposite direction - so most of the picture is moving to the left or right... this is panning, and when this movement appears... there is a slight judder - as if the frame rate cannot keep up.

RMerlin
07-10-2010, 12:29 PM
2.1.7.12 !

Re "panning".... imaging watching a football match - when the action is "in close" theres no problem... but when the shot is "wide" and the camera follows the ball, the whole background moves in the opposite direction - so most of the picture is moving to the left or right... this is panning, and when this movement appears... there is a slight judder - as if the frame rate cannot keep up.

I have seen a similar issue when transcoding an NTSC video into a PAL format, the timing conversion causing issues with video smoothness. The solution was to edit my PS3 profile so that the transcode would use an NTSC profile instead of a PAL profile (since I am in North America). If you are not sure what to edit tell me which profile you are using, I will check on my own Mezzmo install and see if I can help you with it.

Care
07-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the input RMerlin...
I have seen this when playing NTSC via my Xbox many moons ago, but suspect its not that simple - my monies on the transcoding somehow... a quick look at one of the files properties reveals 25FPS, so I'm guessing its already PAL.

(This is a UK series... Im in UK also)

RMerlin
07-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the input RMerlin...
I have seen this when playing NTSC via my Xbox many moons ago, but suspect its not that simple - my monies on the transcoding somehow... a quick look at one of the files properties reveals 25FPS, so I'm guessing its already PAL.

(This is a UK series... Im in UK also)

My problem only occured when transcoding (since my source material was all NTSC, and the default transcoding profile was PAL). This is probably not your issue then, but just to be sure, see what framerate is used for the format that is labeled as "preferedtranscode=1" in the device profile - is it also 25?

Care
07-12-2010, 04:47 AM
How do you see the framerate in the profile please ?

RMerlin
07-12-2010, 08:19 AM
You have to look at your device profile file. Whichever block is used for transcoding will also contain a "<framerate></framerate>" block, stating the framerate to use.

I thought it was whichever definition that showed "preferredtranscoded", but looks like I was wrong. In my case I see one that has "baseline=1" in it, I guess that's the format primarily used whenever Mezzmo needs to transcode something?

Anyway, this one's probably a long shot on my part, since being in the UK, it would be surprising that framerate conversion is actually the problem in your case.

Paul
07-12-2010, 09:03 AM
2.1.7.12 !

I get the "cannot fast forward until transcoded" bit.... but how does WildMedia server achieve it then ???? with that one you can hold down, say, the right button on the Sony remote, and a time line appears - the cursor then scrolls across it until you let go of the button, playback then starts at THAT point !!!!!! so it IS possible ;-)

Interesting - we'll take a look here. Is WMS configured with default settings? Is transcoding done to disk or memory?

I understand now :) Is this on transcoded files only? Possibly the bitrate is not high enough (since the frame rate appears to be correct). Is it possible for you to send me the original file so that I could investigate it here?

I thought it was whichever definition that showed "preferredtranscoded", but looks like I was wrong. In my case I see one that has "baseline=1" in it, I guess that's the format primarily used whenever Mezzmo needs to transcode something?
Actually you are right, it should use the "preferredtranscoded" before using "baseline", if the "deliveryrules" haven't been adjusted (either directly or via the Advanced settings). For "preferredtranscoded" to work, it needs to appear in the "avcontainer" and in one of the "video" and "audio" formats. Also, if there's a closer match (e.g. a video stream matches, but the container is different), then it's considered higher than preferred, because we can then just copy the video stream which is quicker, in that case it'll go and use that container to transcode and maybe that's what is happening?

RMerlin
07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Actually you are right, it should use the "preferredtranscoded" before using "baseline", if the "deliveryrules" haven't been adjusted (either directly or via the Advanced settings). For "preferredtranscoded" to work, it needs to appear in the "avcontainer" and in one of the "video" and "audio" formats. Also, if there's a closer match (e.g. a video stream matches, but the container is different), then it's considered higher than preferred, because we can then just copy the video stream which is quicker, in that case it'll go and use that container to transcode and maybe that's what is happening?

Gotcha. I wasn't entirely sure, since the device profile I looked at for reference didn't have any video format set as preferredtranscoded but did had a baseline.

When you guys actually get some time (after the next release), it would be interesting if the device profile format could be documented (the comments present in most profiles are helpful, but still sometimes confusing a bit). It might help people who want to get more tweaking done "under the hood".

Paul
07-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Gotcha. I wasn't entirely sure, since the device profile I looked at for reference didn't have any video format set as preferredtranscoded but did had a baseline.

When you guys actually get some time (after the next release), it would be interesting if the device profile format could be documented (the comments present in most profiles are helpful, but still sometimes confusing a bit). It might help people who want to get more tweaking done "under the hood".
Yes, we've spent some time cleaning up the device profiles and the updated ones should see the world with the next update. The device profiles format is still subject to change, with things being added/removed, so I'm not sure about any official documentation at this stage, but please do feel free to ask me questions regarding any advanced tweaking.

Care
07-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Interesting - we'll take a look here. Is WMS configured with default settings? Is transcoding done to disk or memory?
Totally as it came from the box ! transcoding is done onto another partition of the same hdd ! (this is how I have set it... but initially it was the same partition.

I understand now :) Is this on transcoded files only? Possibly the bitrate is not high enough (since the frame rate appears to be correct). Is it possible for you to send me the original file so that I could investigate it here?
Appears to be transcoded - most of (if not all !) my files are NOT mpeg2 (native format of TV, as you know)
Which file would you like ? If you mean the file I was viewing, then its 200 Mb !

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul
07-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Appears to be transcoded - most of (if not all !) my files are NOT mpeg2 (native format of TV, as you know)
Which file would you like ? If you mean the file I was viewing, then its 200 Mb !
The original one that you were viewing (in whichever format it's in). Can you please use something like Megaupload/Rapidshare/Dropbox/etc... to upload it so we can test it here? That would let me see exactly what the problem is.

Care
07-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Heres that file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WBEWPPBS

Now running WMS and mezzmo side by side, and the jerkyness has gone when played on WMS !!!!
So I assume its NOT the file ?

Fingers crossed you fix these niggles, Mezzmo would corner the market ! :cool:

Paul
07-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the file!

Yes, I believe it's related to the network issue we're fixing at the moment. Hopefuly the fix is not too far away - thanks for your patience!

Care
07-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Downloaded 218, and the jerkiness is still there :(

Will there be a solution any-time soon PLEASE ?

And the last two fixes you sent me...(profile for Sony TV and server) - do these need to be applied again ?

Thanks

Paul
07-28-2010, 10:07 AM
We've got an updated device profile for the Bravia here to optimize some transcoding issues (MPEG4/h264 related), so if your file has such a video stream, please send a message to support (at) conceiva (dot) com and I'll send you an updated device profile to try.

Care
07-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Total hair loss time !!!!! 218 is now VERY unstable... getting errors on the TV "cannot access server" and "file not found" :-( and the Sony profile you sent me stops it dead, with "server not found" AAARRRGGHHHHHH

Paul
07-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Do you see an error message box from FFmpeg on the PC by any chance?

Please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging), then try to get that error and once it happens, stop the server and send the logs to support.