PDA

View Full Version : A top level solution

JohnM
07-18-2010, 11:11 AM
I have been trying your software for a few days. It is by far superior to the other packages.

One of the things that I would like to see in a future release is the ability to define a new device profile. i.e. It would allow specifying resolution, and most importantly supported file types for the device. Or at least a desired file type if trans coding is required. This may make it easier to pick one type of file to trans code to, to support multiple devices. So in my library I would have mpeg2 files with a 720x480 resolution. Most of my devices would use this file directly. But 2 devices would require a 640x360 max resolution. Since both devices could accept a h264/mp4 file at that size I would trans code once to serve both devices.

It would be great if you supported VOB files for a source. I know there is no meta-data in it, but a slight modification to your db management would allow capturing the info from the imdb.

An even better solution would be to support VOB files in an .iso file wrapper.

John

Paul
07-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the suggestions!

You can actually just manually copy any device profile file (*.prf in DeviceProfiles folder) and create a new one out of that. Then, you can assign it to multiple devices (using the Media Devices) dialog and this will let you create one transcoded file that would play on multiple devices. Let me know if you need help with this and I'll tell you the steps to do that.

We're looking into supporting ISO files and hopefully this will be added in a future update.