PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Thread for Ripping/Copying Blu-Ray's to NAS Drive

chadfetter
03-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Looking for suggestions for the best way to Rip or Copy my Blu-Ray disks onto a NAS drive for playback on a Samsung DVD player with Samsung AllShare.

Would it be better for me to just do a Blu-Ray Copy to my NAS drive, or Blu-Ray Rip? I would think Copy would be nice if I ever lost my Blu-Ray, and wanted to burn a replacement disk.

I am trying to preserve the best quality Audio and Video

If I Rip it, would the best format be the MKV.Remux? I thought that with Mezzmo, that it could stream anything? However, when I tried to do a test of a MKV.Remux file, my DVD Player said that the file format wasn't supported. What is the best Ripping/copying tool? I am trying to use DVDFab

Thanks for your help!

Paul
04-03-2015, 09:26 AM
You will need to rip your Blu-ray or DVD discs. Using a DVD/Blu-ray ripping tool, you can rip them as ISO files or just as their folder/file structure. Mezzmo will detect either and find your videos in the rips and add them into your Mezzmo library. They can then be streamed to your devices.

If you are having streaming problems, then let us know the following:

The device model you are streaming to.
The device profile assigned to your device. Go to the Media Devices dialog to see this.
The FFmpeg information for the video you are streaming. Right-click on the video in Mezzmo and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'.

jbinkley60
04-03-2015, 07:07 PM
My solution to backup Blu-ray to NAS with best audio and video quality is to choose Blu-ray M2TS as output format. But I know M2TS is not compatible by almost all media players, so I use another software to convert M2TS to MP4 for playing on iPad from NAS drive.

Actually M2TS is supported by almost all players. I rip everything to M2TS and haven't found a player yet that wouldn't play it, including Samsung TVs and DVD players. What I have found slightly more challenging is sound support. DVDs are generally fine because they are mostly stereo and AC-3 which are widely supported. On Blu-Rays you get more True-HD formatted discs which aren't supported by a number of media players. For those either find a media player which supports it, transcode them or rip them to an audio format like AC-3, which is supported.

Nyarlathotep
04-16-2015, 03:55 AM
Would it be better for me to just do a Blu-Ray Copy to my NAS drive, or Blu-Ray Rip? I would think Copy would be nice if I ever lost my Blu-Ray, and wanted to burn a replacement disk.

Do you really need all of the audio tracks, subtitles, and special features? If not, use MakeMKV and choose only the main movie, subtitles, and audio tracks you need... you're still getting a 1:1 copy of the movie. If you do a straight ISO copy, you end up with file sizes up to 50GB.