PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo with Bitcasa

OBM
05-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Is there any way to get Mezzmo to index files from Bitcasa. For those that don't know, Bitcasa is an infinite cloud storage solution, it shows up on your PC as an external drive. I can browse for the folder to add, add the folder, it picks up the video files but when I click on the folder or go to the folder though DLNA on my TV it shows as empty.
Would love to get this working, would mean I don't have to have external drives hanging out of my PC anymore. I have it working fine on XBMC/OpenELEC on my Raspberry Pi.

Paul
05-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks for reporting this, OBM. Interesting idea. One reason for no files being displayed is due to access permissions for Mezzmo server. See this FAQ to fix this - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/4597-FAQ-Accessing-files-from-external-computers-and-NAS-drives-on-your-home-network. Let us know if that helps.

Paul
05-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Update: Just tried Bitcasa with Mezzmo and it works fine. I added my Bitcasa drive into my Mezzmo library and was able to stream Bitcasa-based video, music and photos to devices on our network.

Note: The most likely problem with streaming directly from a cloud-based storage services like Bitcasa will be the download bandwidth possibly being a bottleneck when streaming HD video. If your download speed does not keep up with the required video bitrate to play the video, then you may get stuttering or stopping when playing the video on your device since your device is not getting enough video data to play it smoothly. For cloud-based music and photos (and low-bitrate videos), it should work fine. For cloud-based 1080 HD video, it may be a problem.

OBM
05-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Update: Just tried Bitcasa with Mezzmo and it works fine. I added my Bitcasa drive into my Mezzmo library and was able to stream Bitcasa-based video, music and photos to devices on our network.

Note: The most likely problem with streaming directly from a cloud-based storage services like Bitcasa will be the download bandwidth possibly being a bottleneck when streaming HD video. If your download speed does not keep up with the required video bitrate to play the video, then you may get stuttering or stopping when playing the video on your device since your device is not getting enough video data to play it smoothly. For cloud-based music and photos (and low-bitrate videos), it should work fine. For cloud-based 1080 HD video, it may be a problem.

Thanks, will try the fix tonight. According to Bitcasa devs they have an intelligent cache system so I'm hoping the minute Mezzmo starts to stream Bitcasa will make it priority and keep downloading it into the cache if I have to pause it for a minute. I'd rather wait a minute to watch a 1080p film than have to buy another couple of terrabyte drives lol! Small price to pay!

OBM
05-21-2013, 07:23 AM
I still can't get it to work :-/ In Windows Credentials, what details should I be putting in, Windows login details or Bitcasa login details (also what network address should I enter?)

Paul
05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
I did not have to change Windows credentials to get it working. It's best we see a set of logs. Turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Connect to Mezzmo server from your device and try to browse an play some files from your bitcasa drive (that you have added into your Mezzmo library). When it fails, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all your logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.