PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo stopped communicating with router

ComputerPerson
06-30-2013, 04:04 AM
Mezzmo was working fine streaming from Dell desktop through a MoFI WiFi router with Panasonic TVs but suddenly stopped communicating with the WiFi router.

TV's show up on router & TVs can access internet via router, but there is no link between Mezzmo and TVs & TVs give error "can't find DLNA server.

The computer is wired to the router, and the computer can find and access the router, just not Mezzmo.

So I expect there is a problem between the router and Mezzmo.

I have recycled the router and computer & TV's and problem persists.

I cannot see Windows Media server on the TVs either, if I turn it on.

How do I go about fixing this problem? IS it a network configuration?

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with Media Center

Thanks!

Paul
06-30-2013, 11:04 AM
The fact that bot Mezzmo and Windows media server are both not seen on your TVs does suggest that something is blocking DLNA communication between your PC and your devices. It could well be your router, but also could be firewall or other settings. Work through this checklist - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1183-FAQ-Cannot-see-Mezzmo-on-your-DLNA-device. It contains the most common reasons for Mezzmo not being listed on your device.

ComputerPerson
06-30-2013, 01:13 PM
I don't disagree.

I have turned off the firewall on the computer and the router firewall, and turned off the router's UPNP with no success. I have gone through the suggested thread but no success.

"Mezzmo Media Server" shows up on the computer network screen, and the computer shows up on the router with the same IP as the Mezzmo Media Server but with the name of the computer rather than "Mezzmo Media Server."

The TV shows up on the router, but does not show up on the Mezzmo Media Devices. The only Mezzmo Media Device is "Mezzmo Media Server" with a profile of "Generic Device (NTSC)" with the same IP address as the computer shows in the router.

I'm not sure where to go next.

Paul
06-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Email us a set of logs and we'll see if we can see anything. Turn on logging (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Turn off your DLNA device and turn it on again. Wait a few minutes and try to list servers on your device. When Mezzmo does not appear, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

ComputerPerson
07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Logs sent. Thanks, Paul.

Paul
07-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks - got your logs and we'll analyze them shortly. We'll report back via email.

ComputerPerson
07-03-2013, 06:28 AM
I just noticed that the computer network si designated as "Private", as opposed to "Home".

Since you believe from the logs that Mezzmo is workiing properly, would being a "Private" network cause this issue?

oops - never mind, I discover that WInows 8 only has Private, Not Configured or Public networks (no "Home" setting), but others have had the same connectivity issue as me (WIndows 8 X64 Pro) from my on-line searches.

Paul
07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
From your TV, can you access the internet via the TV's built-in onscreen widgets like YouTube, Facebook? That will tell us if your TV's network settings are set up correctly and is not being blocking by your router.

ComputerPerson
07-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Yes, the TV can access the internet over the wireless connection to the router's USB connected HSPA+ modem. That part works perfectly.

ComputerPerson
07-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Some progress:

I used gpedit.msc to have a look at the network properties, which were shown on the network screen as Private, but showed here in gpedit as Not Configured.

I set it to Private, and the TV now shows up on the computer Network under Media Devices. DLNA still can't be accessed by the TV, and Mezzmo still doesn't see the TV, but we're a step closer!

Paul
07-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Glad you are making some progress :) Given that you have tweaked the configuration of your home network, try uninstalling and re-installing Mezzmo. That may help now that your network seems better configured. Also, go into the Media Server Settings dialog and click the 'Configure Windows Firewall' button if it enabled.

ComputerPerson
07-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Reinstall made no difference. However during the uninstall I got a strange message:

Mezzmo could not access the Mezzmo media server service.

More information: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Error code: 1060

And from Event Viewer multiple entries:

The Mezzmo Media Server service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.

Mezzmo service shows as running, so what does that all really mean? Is there a network configuration that can fix this?

Paul
07-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Please send us a new set of logs and we'll see if we can see anything going wrong with Mezzmo server. Turn on logging. Restart your Mezzmo server. Once it has started, try listing servers on your DLNA device. Then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

ComputerPerson
07-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Sent link to support.

Thanks, Paul

Paul
07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks - we'll check the logs shortly and report back via email.

ComputerPerson
07-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Paul, you found everything normal.

I just got a network diagnostic software tool and it shows the computer (Mezzmo Server IP) has incoming port 53168 as TIME_WAIT, 127.0.0.1 also as TIME_WAIT, and 17 outgoing connections 653XX also as TIME_WAIT.

It also shows all of the devices are on the LAN with proper IP addresses and on line.

Is this the problem and if so can you tell me how to fix it?

Thanks.

Paul
07-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Can your diagnostic tool export/write out a detailed report (TXT, HTML, XML, JPG, etc.) about your home network? If it can, please email it to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and that may provide some clues why DLNA communication is being blocked.

ComputerPerson
07-23-2013, 10:30 AM
I sent a series of screen shots to support. I hope they can tell a story.

Paul
07-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks - got your screenshots. We'll reply via email shortly.

ComputerPerson
10-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Well after all this time Mezzmo is working again.

All I did was upgrade to Windows 8.1, which also updated Windows Media Center.

And suddenly, like magic, my TV's starting talking to Mezzmo!

Paul and the Mezzmo support crew spent a lot of time and effort trying to help me out, and I want to thank them for that. In the end, as they told me, Mezzmo was working exactly as it should, and the problems were elsewhere. And believe me, in the interim, I tried everything I cold think of to get the network working properly and up until tonight I could not.

So while I am peeved with Microsoft for creating this problem for me, I am quite happy it is all working once again!

Again, thanks to Paul and the Mezzmo support group for your efforts.

Paul
10-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Great news, ComputerPerson :) I guess it must of been some Windows configuration or fileset problem in your previous Windows. Re-installing Win 8.1 must of fixed it by installing a fresh set of files & ensuring the configuration was OK. Thanks for posting back your solution.