PDA

View Full Version : Bigger thumbnails support for Samsung F series?

Misiak
07-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi, does anybody know if this serie supports bigger thumbnails than standard resolution ones? It uses newest Smart Hub from samsung and those 160px looks like a crap :mad: With Samsung C profile selected it obviously does not work. Hope the new profile will support it.

Paul
07-01-2013, 08:49 AM
You can adjust the size of thumbnails delivered by Mezzmo to your devices. The default (DLNA standard) size is 160x160, but many device profiles in Mezzmo have thumbnail sizes set to 320x320 pixels. The new Samsung F-series device profile has thumbnail size set to 320x320 pixels, so they should like much better.

Misiak
07-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks, I've already set thumbnail size to 640px in the beginning so they should be in good resolution stored in my pc so do I need to run some maintenance or not so the change is reflected only to my tv ? Or is the server restart sufficient? Thx.

Misiak
07-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Hi, I've checked SamsungF profile and there is still 160px for JPEG_TN. Didn't you forget to update it? Thx.

Paul
07-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Yes - that's right. We just changed the thumbnail size from 320x320 to 160x160 for Samsung F device profile as a test since a few Samsung F-series owners were reporting that they were not seeing any artwork thumbnails for their videos when browsing Mezzmo on their TV.

Do you see thumbnails on your TV for your videos? If yes, then try increasing the thumbnail size to 320x320. To do this, do the following:

Stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo.
Using Windows Explorer, go to your DeviceProfiles folder (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/467-FAQ-Where-are-device-profiles-located)
Open the SamsungF.prf file using a text editor like Notepad.
At the bottom of the file, you will see the "JPEG_TN" section. Change the <maxdimensions> width and height to 320x320.
Save your changes.
Run Mezzmo. Go to the Media Devices dialog and edit your Samsung F device. On the Device Settings dialog, go to the Transcoding tab and delete your transcoded files.
Start your Mezzmo server and try browsing your videos now.

Let us know how you go.

Misiak
07-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks. Yes I did it as you said and thumbnails quality really improved. But it is still not perfect. Do you know the reason why DLNA clients does not support bigger resolutions and are limited to 160px, resp. 320px ? On big screens it looks not very good. I've even tried to use bigger resolution as 640x640 and even 1024x1024 but thumbnail quality seemed to be same as with 320x320 so most probably this is the highest resolution client is able to display. But 320px is definitely supported by F series so you can enable it for sure... Maybe those users did not have F series at all :)

Btw, in profile file there is this line:

<format id="jpeg" mimetype="image/jpeg" encode="1" codec="98" quality="2">

Which is the best quality? It is 1 or more than 2 ? Is there a difference in quality changin this number ?

Anyway, I found some glitches with new F profile, I will report it to a separate thred so you may have a look and fix if possible.

Thanks, Michal

Best Michal

Paul
07-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Hi Michal,

A few things for you to know regarding thumbnail sizes:

Your device may be limited to what is displays in thumbnail sizes. Some devices actually reject thumbnails fro media servers if they are too big. The Mezzmo device profiles are used to make sure that the thumbnail meets the device's requirements.
There's two places to change the thumbnail size in Mezzmo. First is the device profile (as in my previous post) and the second is the Options dialog (Streaming page). The Options dialog (Streaming page) change will only take effect for new thumbnails that Mezzmo creates. So if you already have your collection of files in Mezzmo, you should run Maintain Library with the 'Get artwork' checkbox checked and the 'Update all files' radio button checked. This will tell Mezzmo to go and get new thumbnails for your files with the new thumbnail size that you have set in the Options dialog (Streaming page). Try that and you may see nicer thumbnails on your TV. Let us know how you go.

Misiak
07-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Hi Paul,

I'm a developer so I've looked deeper into configuration files and set the width of the thumbnail to 320px. I was just wondering, if this TV is capable to display even bigger thumbnails, let's say 640px. So I've tried it but it looks that it supports 320px max. Samsung F series use DLNA 1.5 specification, but I didn't read it yet, so I don't know if there is some restriction with thumbnails size. Therefore I've asked about this quality="2" attribute as a possibility to make thumbnails look even better. Does value "1" deliver a bigger quality or the bigger the number is the better quality is produced ?

Thx.

Paul
07-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Therefore I've asked about this quality="2" attribute as a possibility to make thumbnails look even better. Does value "1" deliver a bigger quality or the bigger the number is the better quality is produced ?

Possible values for "quality" are 2 to 255. "2" is best quality, proceeding down to "255", which is most compressed quality.

Misiak
07-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks, now it's clear. I found out that F series are able to handle bigger thumbnails than 320px. See my email.

Dillster
07-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Gents,

I have a F series 6400, and I can only get thumbnails for music files... are you getting them for photos and videos too?

Misiak
07-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Gents,

I have a F series 6400, and I can only get thumbnails for music files... are you getting them for photos and videos too?

Sure, but I would say this profile works correctlyfor F8000 series only... So maybe it could be removed to "F8000" to avoid misunderstandings.

Paul
07-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Do you see thumbnails for videos when streaming using Samsung Link (AllShare) software installed on your PC? You should have a CD-ROM with Samung Link (AllShare) software with your TV. Please install it on your PC and try it. If you do see video thumbnails, please email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll work with you to get thumbnails working for your Samsung model.

Dillster
07-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Paul,

Samsung Link shows thumbnails for videos - have sent you wireshark logs

Paul
07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks - just got your Wireshark logs. We'll email you a new patch to try after we work through the logs.

Paul
07-24-2013, 04:03 PM
With the help of Dillster, we have thumbnails/artwork working videos, music and photos on Samsung F-series TVs. This new device profile will be included in the upcoming Mezzmo v3.3 release. Email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com if you would like early access to it.

Misiak
07-25-2013, 03:43 AM
With the help of Dillster, we have thumbnails/artwork working videos, music and photos on Samsung F-series TVs. This new device profile will be included in the upcoming Mezzmo v3.3 release. Email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com if you would like early access to it.
I just wonder what Samsung F profile you talking about, because with F profile you've sent me some time ago thumbnails works perfectly :)

Paul
07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I just wonder what Samsung F profile you talking about, because with F profile you've sent me some time ago thumbnails works perfectly :)

It appears that the various Samsung F-series models may have different firmware since you say that your TV model (8000) worked fine, but many other F-series owners reported that they did not get thumbnails. Anyway the problem has been fixed now for all Samsung F-series models and has been confirmed to be working by many Samsung F-series owners. We'll include the new device profile in Mezzmo v3.3 that we're just finishing up now.

wozza
07-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Paul

Out of interest, is there supposed to be an F series profile included in v3.2? I have an F8000 which has defaulted to Samsung C profile and I don't see a Samsung F option in Device Settings.

Thanks

Misiak
07-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Paul

Out of interest, is there supposed to be an F series profile included in v3.2? I have an F8000 which has defaulted to Samsung C profile and I don't see a Samsung F option in Device Settings.

Thanks

No, there is not. It will be included in upcomming mezzmo release. There were some Samsung F profile pilots, but I did not find much differences with Samsung S profile, except thumbnail size. However, I've sent guys from conceiva some suggestions how to improve the profile, so let's see what they are able to implement in next version ;-)

Paul
07-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Out of interest, is there supposed to be an F series profile included in v3.2?

There's no Samsung F device profile in Mezzmo v3.2, but there will be in Mezzmo v3.3 - due to be released very soon. If you cannot wait, email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll provide the device profile now.

Paul
07-28-2013, 07:09 PM
However, I've sent guys from conceiva some suggestions how to improve the profile, so let's see what they are able to implement in next version ;-)

We certainly will for Mezzmo v3.3 :) Thanks for the information.

Paul
08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Mezzmo v3.3 has been released and it includes the latest Samsung F device profile.