PDA

View Full Version : Chaptering on Samsung C series TV

Gus
08-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi there,

i upgraded my LE40B650 for a new LE40C650 since it has iplayer and apps etc, so now looking again at Mezzmo since Share Manager has no auto update library feature (and manual update takes nearly 20mins!).

However one feature that is "really" handy is chaptering, since the ff and rewind is 10 second jumps. No good if you need to ff to the middle of a film etc.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking at how the chaptering works on the Samsung Share Manager and it seems quite simple. For every video file there is a similar .MTA file. It's an xml file with simple tags including the timestamp and a base64 jpg encoded section for the thumbnail.

There are times that the update button doesn't create the .MTA file. But i've managed to create a basic version with a black thumbnail and jumps every 15mins. Once i add this to the video folder and rename the same as a video. The TV allows chaptering on that video. I dont even have to restart the server.

It seems that if you press the centre button on the remote control. the TV requests the server send the same filename but ending with .MTA
For example if i am watching video1.mkv and i press the centre button, then a request is made to the server for a file called video1.mta
if it is received then the chapters are shown.

I am happy to send a simple version of the MTA file.

Can Mezzmo be updated to support the .MTA extension?

I think if this can be added it would be a "major" improvement and one that could sway more people away from the Share Manager who keep it just for the FF and Chaptering etc.
Happy to help out if you need anything.

cheers

Gus

Paul
08-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi Gus,

Thank you for your great investigation! I have been looking at those MTA files as well and been wondering whether we should support them as well.

We can add support for them, provided that you'll have to create them manually. If Mezzmo finds that file, it'll send it off.

I don't think we'll add support to actually create those files, for the time being, because that would be stepping on Samsung's toes and they may get upset :)

We've got a Samsung TV here that we use for testing, so no need to send an .MTA file through. What would be great, if you could e-mail support (at) conceiva (dot) com, so that I could send you a patch to test this addition.

Gus
08-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks Dennis. I have emailed support.

I have a base MTA file that i use as a template with a black thumbnail encoded to base64, plus 15 min chapters. I can use this for all my movies.
cheers
Gus

Paul
08-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks Gus - I've received your message in support and I'll get back to you with a patch within a couple of days.

catharsys
08-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Denis, can I have that patch too ? Going to send an email to support
That would be a great addition... now I just need an how to create that file and i'm all set.
Gus, did you manage to find out if after chaptering it supports resume ? Because i've only seen the resume on USB

Gus
08-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Catharsys,

i am happy to send/attach a copy of the basic MTA file that i have used. It's simply an XML file with the correct tags with 5 chapter points. I found the chapter image resolution and encoded a black image to base64 then added this 5 times together with 15 minute intervals in seconds. I didnt think i would need to advance chapters beyond 1hr 15mins. I can also send through the process i used to encode/decode JPG <-> base64. so you can make your own thumbnail images to be shown at the bottom of your TV when you press centre button on remote.

As for resume, i assume you mean the blue button prompt? to resume a movie after turning the TV off? i dont know but will check tonight for you?
I really do think though this is a proprietary feature from Samsung, since the resume 'point' or time has to be stored somewhere, And the MTA file doesn't change once created. So it's likely this is stored in the Share Manager database (filename: ace.dat).
To be honest this one doesnt really bother me too much as once we have chaptering, you're only ever 7mins away from your resume point anyway?

just my 2 cents!

PS... PC Share Manager v4.2 doesn't seem to create MTA files any more (a bug perhaps) so back rev to v4.1 if you want to run tests.

cheers

Gus

crytec
08-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Hey :)

I really hope you think about integrating this feature in the new version of mezzmo!
A lot of people are buying samsung tvs at the time, and every tv does support dlna.
It would be really great if the chaptering becomes standard in mezzmo...please think about this option, not only as a patch! I dont think samsung would not appreciate that, cause thats making their feature more usable ;)

So what do you think? :)

Gus
08-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Gus, did you manage to find out if after chaptering it supports resume ? Because i've only seen the resume on USB

Just spent a bit of time testing..No resume i'm afraid. I did however find out something quite interesting...

If i play an AVI file on my Samsung BluRay player (BD-C5500) from Share Manager then turn off the BluRay.
Then play the same file from the C650 TV, the Resume prompt is shown (?) and will resume from where the C5500 left off! It proves the TV doesn't save the last known point of watching. It is definately stored in Share Manager somewhere.

So Mezzmo would need to provide this piece of communication to the TV. A toughy i think.

Like i said before if Dennis can implement Chaptering i think this is sufficient for me. It would be a major selling point and a fantastic feature that no other DLNA server has that i know of (except PCSM).

Paul
08-19-2010, 08:54 AM
I'll be working on this and testing it very soon, so I'll keep you informed ;)

Paul
08-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Hmm, yes, PCSM 4.2 doesn't create .MTA anymore and I don't have any to test :( I'll try to find one, but if you want to send one in - please do ;)

Gus
08-19-2010, 08:46 PM
no problem, i will look at these tonight and send through one that PCSM creates, and also the generic one i use with black thumbnails and 15 minute increments.

cheers

Gus

Paul
08-20-2010, 08:47 AM
no problem, i will look at these tonight and send through one that PCSM creates, and also the generic one i use with black thumbnails and 15 minute increments.

cheers

Gus
Thanks!

It turns out that our TV here doesn't request those files either (at least from PCSM 4.2, even if I have one in the same folder). I'll get back to you via e-mail.

catharsys
08-24-2010, 05:01 AM
I can also send through the process i used to encode/decode JPG <-> base64. so you can make your own thumbnail images to be shown at the bottom of your TV when you press centre button on remote.

Can you please explain me the process, since I work with developers and asked one of them to develop a tool to create the MTA files. So I'll need to give him the maximum input I can

PS... PC Share Manager v4.2 doesn't seem to create MTA files any more (a bug perhaps) so back rev to v4.1 if you want to run tests.
Gus

Hmmm.. i am using PCSM 2.33... Don't know where to get the other versions since Samsung site is not that good.

And the resume feature would be great since i usually don't recall where did I stopped watching

Gus
08-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Can you please explain me the process, since I work with developers and asked one of them to develop a tool to create the MTA files. So I'll need to give him the maximum input I can

Sure will do but bear in mind the following:

1. The process i use to convert to/from base64 is from a web site form (i will have to look through my favourites) so i cant give you the math behind it and hence a developer who is looking for the process may not find this much use?

2. The base64 encoding is only to get the thumbnail for the chapter point on the TV. I dont really care for a thumbnail so just use a black image with exactly 15min increments. Everything else in the MTA is the same apart fro the time increments (1/5 based on total film length).

3. The content of the .MTA file doesn't have to be unique, the only reference to the film is it's filename. So once you have 1 MTA file it can be copied and renamed for each and every film you have. The content of the MTA doesn't reference the film filename anywhere. 1 MTA file can be used for all your video files.

Gus
08-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Hmmm.. i am using PCSM 2.33... Don't know where to get the other versions since Samsung site is not that good.

And the resume feature would be great since i usually don't recall where did I stopped watching

I use the Samsung website, click support, enter the model number from your TV and click Software. If you have a C series Samsung, you should be on v4.1 or v4.2 i would have thought,

GliMM
08-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi,
I have two Samsung tv's so the chaptering function would be great for me too!
I like it when using USB keys to watch video, and i'm a fan of nice functions (read 'tech showoff')

I agree the Samsung website is a little confusing.
What version of Samsung PC Share Manager and IF it is displayed at all, depends on what model of TV AND website language you selected.
So I would recommend you to select the UK website and one of the latest LCD models to get version 4.2 of SPSM.
Personally I think version 4.2 is crap :) It takes me about 20 minutes to update the database, I think they are force reloading and updating the thumbnails on all data every time which is not to fun with a big media database.. this is compensated by removing any chance you had to add USB media to your directory...
So well, if ANYONE talks about being scared of threading on Samsungs 'domains' in regards of features and functions.. well.. if they had a useful product to start with, then that might be of consideration, but they do not seem to want to create a better product.
I said it before.. Mezzmo IS better :)

Gus
08-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Personally I think version 4.2 is crap :) It takes me about 20 minutes to update the database, I think they are force reloading and updating the thumbnails on all data every time which is not to fun with a big media database.. this is compensated by removing any chance you had to add USB media to your directory...

I agree, my 4.2 version took over 20mins to update even though nothing had changed. Hence why i started looking at Mezzmo.

Also i have all my media on USB drive and can add to PCSM no problem. It didnt work to begin with however i linked a local folder to the USB drive so that fools PCSM. Happy to pass on the info if you're unsure.

cheers

Gus

GliMM
08-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Yes, earlier versions of SPSM did not like USB drives either, this was introduced in version 2 since Samsung think that consistent data cannot be guaranteed from a USB drive, even though it was possible to work around, (Right click on folder and select folder options, select to share folder) you will get a cryptic error message but the folder will be shared either way, any other way will only give you the error message.
In version 4.2 you are stuck with the error message only...

Gus
08-24-2010, 06:53 PM
In version 4.2 you are stuck with the error message only...

I use an NTFS folder link (Symbolic link / juntion point) and PCSM doesn't give any error. As i say my whole library is stored on USB with no errors or messages. I use XP.

GliMM
08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
ok, in Win 7 you will have to use the symbolic link

MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target

/D Creates a directory symbolic link. Default is a file
symbolic link.
/H Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link.
/J Creates a Directory Junction.
Link specifies the new symbolic link name.
Target specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link
refers to.

Example:
C:\Windows\system32>mklink /J C:\mylink\ F:\

I will try that just for fun later on.
Thanks for the tip! :)
I guess we are getting a little off topic but what else are forum discussions for?! :cool:

catharsys
08-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Back on topic..
and I forgot to mention that I have a Samsung UE40C 6530

The tool would scan a folder for a movie extensions (the ones that mezzmo support), create the mta file with the same filename as the video file, then open the video file and grabbed a couple of frames for each 15m , encode them to base64 and create the xml file
Now if we could manage to have the usb resume feature...
:)

I am only using PCSM for audio playback because most of the times I just want it to jump around all my mp3's... and I still didn't explored Mezzmo on the audio side, and there is no thumbs while playing audio on mezzmo (i believe you guys are looking into that issue)

I use the Samsung website, click support, enter the model number from your TV and click Software. If you have a C series Samsung, you should be on v4.1 or v4.2 i would have thought,

Unfortunatly on PT website there is no PCSM for my tv, lol. But I managed to find it on UK on another TV as GliMM suggested.
But I was only able to find the 4.2... and I would appreciate it a lot if someone would point me directions to 4.1.

GliMM
08-25-2010, 02:34 AM
I managed to find a download link for you (version 4.1)
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=2889101&CDCttType=SW&ModelType=N&ModelName=BD-C5500&VPath=SW/201005/20100520103525312/setup.exe

Gus
08-25-2010, 05:13 PM
The tool would scan a folder for a movie extensions (the ones that mezzmo support), create the mta file with the same filename as the video file, then open the video file and grabbed a couple of frames for each 15m , encode them to base64 and create the xml file.

FFMpeg will do screen grabs for you. Google it and you'll see the exact syntax.

I am only using PCSM for audio playback because most of the times I just want it to jump around all my mp3's... and I still didn't explored Mezzmo on the audio side, and there is no thumbs while playing audio on mezzmo (i believe you guys are looking into that issue)

This issue is now fixed in a test version i have for looking at MTA support. I'm sure Dennis and co. will release when it's ready.
As a result all my photos, videos and MP3s are all in Mezzmo and it's my main media server.

catharsys
08-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I managed to find a download link for you (version 4.1)
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=2889101&CDCttType=SW&ModelType=N&ModelName=BD-C5500&VPath=SW/201005/20100520103525312/setup.exe

Thank you very much :D

krisku
09-03-2010, 02:09 AM
I'll be working on this and testing it very soon, so I'll keep you informed ;)

Hi!

Where are you now on this chaptering support? I just started evaluating Mezzmo, and whatever chaptering support you can add would definitely make me want to buy this software (as Samsung's microsteps of jumping 20 seconds at a time is really a pain the the *ss, especially when it takes 5 seconds to skip those 20 seconds ahead)!

Paul
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
We are still working on it. A few users are helping us test it. We intend to add it into the next release. It will be a free upgrade for all registered users. When the upgrade is available, you will be notified immediately via Mezzmo's autoupdate.

badbob001
09-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Is .MTA support only available on Samsung TVs that use PSM 4.x? My 2009 LN52B750 only works with PSM 2.x and center remote button just does pause/play. Samsung sure is good at not supporting anything that is not current.

Gus
09-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Is .MTA support only available on Samsung TVs that use PSM 4.x? My 2009 LN52B750 only works with PSM 2.x and center remote button just does pause/play. Samsung sure is good at not supporting anything that is not current.

I'm pretty sure that .mta support was added by Samsung from the C series on. Chaptering is still available through USB via the centre button, it's not a PCSM-only thing. My old B650 didnt have chaptering on USB or network. The B650 used PCSM 2.x. When i bought the C650, it couldn't see my server, so i had to update it to 4.x Only then could i see the server and also get MTA support over the network.

Conceiva are working hard to add this to Mezzmo so it's only a matter of time before Mezzmo gets all the features of PCSM 4.x and more. Things like auto update, custom covers, playlists etc.

cheers

Gus

Paul
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
The funny thing is that with PCSM 4.2 we lost chaptering on our C550 here and that actually hindered development a bit. I am going to try and downgrade to a previous PCSM version (if I can find one somewhere - if anyone has a link, BTW, please do send it to me, as it'll help) to see if a previous version will do chaptering.

Gus
09-20-2010, 06:16 PM
The funny thing is that with PCSM 4.2 we lost chaptering on our C550 here and that actually hindered development a bit. I am going to try and downgrade to a previous PCSM version (if I can find one somewhere - if anyone has a link, BTW, please do send it to me, as it'll help) to see if a previous version will do chaptering.

Dennis

i found the same. and also that the MTA files no longer get created. You can download v4.1 from the link below:

I have a copy too if the link gets removed.
cheers

Gus

Paul
09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks - will take a look.

snoofer
11-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Hi! Any news on this? I would love to see this feature! Thanks

Paul
11-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi,

We'll get to working on this very soon - it was moved down the priority ladder a bit because the latest PCSM doesn't do that either, so Samsung must've removed it for some reason, but we're still keen on implementing this in any case.

snoofer
11-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Sounds cool. It would be so great to have this feature since Samsung isn't able to jump to a given time.

sionic
11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I'd be more than happy to help in any testing for this... the lack of support from Samsung on the FWD and RWD functions is pretty annoying!

Paul
11-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the offer to test - once we get to implementing this I'll keep you in mind ;)

Santa
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
the lack of support from Samsung on the FWD and RWD functions is pretty annoying!

Take a notice, you may use right and left navigation buttons on your remote control for this purpose.

NavySEAL
11-26-2010, 12:16 AM
I have to agree with the need for this tool. Not having the ability to go forward more than 10-15 seconds at a time is SO annoying. If for some reason you have to stop the movie and go out of the AllShare option and return...there is no easy way to get back to say 30 mins into the movie. There are no amount of words to how good this would be for Samsung TV's

accuador
12-05-2010, 05:48 AM
hi, i was wondering if this chaptering works on c550. thx

Paul
12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
hi, i was wondering if this chaptering works on c550. thx
Not sure that it works on the C550 - I don't think I saw the TV sending requests for that. I believe that it should work on the "B" series (maybe "A" as well) and also perhaps on the BDP-C5500/6500.

FlyingVguitarist
08-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I just received notification of a new update. Seems there still is no chaptering capability for Samsung C-Series TVs. I watch a lot of TV compilations and am TIRED of micro-step jumping through the file. My WDTV Live supports chaptering; they figured it out, so what's the issue? When will we have chapter support? Am I missing something?

Paul
08-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Do you mean just fast-forwarding through the file or actually going through chapters (specific markers) in files?

FlyingVguitarist
08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Going through chapters (markers). Mezzmo already fast forwards in small jumps.

Paul
08-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Samsung devices seem to implement this using an .mta file that is generated using Samsung's PC Share Manager software. Do you have those .mta files in the folder with video files? If you do, then Mezzmo will attempt to deliver them to the device and if the TV supports chaptering, it should use them.

Can you go through chapters using Samsung's software? If you can, then we can replicate this, but if you can't, then your TV's firmware just doesn't support this.

FlyingVguitarist
08-08-2011, 10:06 PM
I will test. Didn't like PC Share Manager, so I purchased Mezzmo :)

Paul
08-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Let me know how that goes. The problem with Samsung in particular is that they have a lot of proprietary commands between their software and their devices, which enable all these wonderful features :)

FlyingVguitarist
08-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Let me know how that goes. The problem with Samsung in particular is that they have a lot of proprietary commands between their software and their devices, which enable all these wonderful features :)

Would Wireshark traces help? Assuming I can get PC Share Manager working, I can capture the data stream between the server and TV. I can also do the same with my WDTV player.

Paul
08-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes, Wireshark always helps. Thanks!

Gus
08-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Dennis,

this now works! i just tried it on my LE40C650 (the same one we were testing a while back in 2010). Not sure 'why' it works but it does.

I didnt know you had attempted to implement code to deal with .mta files. The last we spoke/tested beta versions etc. it didnt work. But i'm glad it does now. Maybe i missed it in the release notes of a recent update.

For info....

i'm on v 2.4.2

my tests are with .mkv files, and have the same name .mta file.

When starting the movie, there is a new icon onscreen with the centre button icon and the word Chaptering. And as you'd expect pressing centre button brings up the chapter points along with the thumbnails.

Lastly i created the .mta file and the encoded thumbnail. Happy to send info or files to anyone.

Well done Dennis. Really pleased.

cheers

Gus

Paul
08-12-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm happy that it works and thanks for letting me know! If you don't mind, please post a sample .mta file here for others to use (or, better yet, start a new thread).

Gus
08-12-2011, 08:23 PM
OK. Good news and bad news.

First the good, I can replicate my .mta file and add whatever image for the thumbnails and add this to any video in the collection, but the bad news is that it does not apply automatically, it wont work after a service restart. It only gets applied after a Maintenance, which take 20mins on my system even though i choose update only missing info.

Maybe Dennis can look at applying a change to the next release which auto updates .mta files as they are added with a restart.
cheers

Gus

cabu8803
08-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Can you please post the MTA file so I can use them in my setup and verify if I can do chaptering.

Thanks a lot in advance

Gus
08-13-2011, 12:49 AM
No problem, find attached a copy of a basic mta file. You'll see it is just a simple xml file, and i've added 8 chapter points. Each tag has 1 time element (the MediaTime tag) which is in seconds, i have setup blocks of 900, so this gives 15min chapter points.
There is also a thumbnail element (the InlineMedia tag) which is a base64 jpg file. All my test thumbs are black but you can anything you like.
Once we sort out the auto update of the Mezzmo server so that mta files are added without the need for a Maintenance, i'll post a thread purely about MTAs and maybe Dennis will sticky it.

Any problems just shout.

cheers

Gus

Urza
08-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Hi Gusnor!

This looks very promising! What do you need to do in order to modify your template .mta file in order to get it work with a movie on my Mezzmo installation?

BeFi
08-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Hi gusnor,

Your MTA file worked perfectly with my mpeg2 videos on Samsung C-series and Mezzmo 2.3.2. All I had to do is copy your mta-file to the sme directoy and rename it to the same name as the video clip. Amazing: Months of frustration with the stupid Samsung C-series device suddenly overcome.

Now help me with this:
I tried to edit your mta file to provide 5 mins intervals instead of 15 mins but whenever I edited it the editor saves it as filetype xml irrespective of the file name being *.mta and Mezzmo doesn't recognize it anymore.

Suggestion to the Conceiva folks: Provide an option to auto-generate mta files with 5 or 10 mins intervals for Samsung streaming devices. This would perfectly bridge the missing FF and FR problem.

Best
Bernhard

Urza
08-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Hi BeFi,

Did you need to do anything in order to get the chaptering to work other than drop the .mta file into the same directory as the movie, rename it to the same as the movie file (with .mta on the end) and run maintenance on Mezzmo's library?

I have done exactly as written above and the chaptering does not work at all on my Samsung LE40C580 TV :(

Gus
08-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Hi BeFi,

Did you need to do anything in order to get the chaptering to work other than drop the .mta file into the same directory as the movie, rename it to the same as the movie file (with .mta on the end) and run maintenance on Mezzmo's library?

I have done exactly as written above and the chaptering does not work at all on my Samsung LE40C580 TV :(

Hi BeFi,

i take it you can chapter if playing a file locally from USB etc?

if so all you need to do is drop the mta file alongside your video file, rename it so it's the same filename but the extension is MTA. Lastly do a maintenance on Mezzmo.
and thats all.

I will try to post a proper guide tomorrow.
cheers

Gus

Paul
08-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Maybe Dennis can look at applying a change to the next release which auto updates .mta files as they are added with a restart.
cheers

We've moved the subtitles and chaptering to be updated only on maintenance because it was causing slow-downs when browsing folders (since these files needed to be accessed in real-time and this could cause timeouts if the files are on a NAS, for example).

Perhaps you don't need to do a full library maintenance - if you have lots of music/photos, then you can save time by only maintaining the "All Videos" playlist or something even smaller?

Thanks for the file, BTW! ;)

Gus
08-15-2011, 11:23 PM
I've created a proper guide for the MTA files which gives a bit more detail...

http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1836-A-Guide-to-Chaptering-on-Samsung-TVs

ifflanb
08-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Not sure if its any help to others but I decided to write a little app for creating and deleting multiple MTA files for your video libraries. You just need to select the template file (an existing mta file that you want to use like the one of rSmasung C series TVs in this thread) and then select the root folder that you want to create MTA files within. If you want to go through sub folders as well obviously check the include sub directories box. Its reasonably fast and you dont have to install anything. Heres the link. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f835d658232f2923&id=F835D658232F2923%21177
Hope it helps someone.

Paul
08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Hi ifflanb,

Thanks for sharing this. However, the link just takes me to a SkyDrive login page. Do you have a public download link for the app?

Gus
08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Not sure if its any help to others but I decided to write a little app for creating and deleting multiple MTA files for your video libraries. You just need to select the template file (an existing mta file that you want to use like the one of rSmasung C series TVs in this thread) and then select the root folder that you want to create MTA files within. If you want to go through sub folders as well obviously check the include sub directories box. Its reasonably fast and you dont have to install anything. Heres the link. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f835d658232f2923&id=F835D658232F2923%21177
Hope it helps someone.

Thanks, does the app simply copy/replicate the template MTA file as many times as there are videos in the folder or sub folders? from memory this is the default functionality that Paul put into Mezzmo some versions ago. All MTA files are created on the fly if required. This way there isnt a huge list of MTAs to clutter your video folder.

The only reason for creating your own MTA files would be to have custom thumbnail images for the chapter points in all your movies. These have to be converted to base64 before going into the MTA, If that is what someone wants, then your tool looks like a good start. Cheers

Gus